360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the 160-270g and 250-500g rods and was wondering which one would be better. I would get a 400g rod, but obviously there isn't one, and I'm thinking the 500g might be too stiff, or maybe the 270g might be too weak. I jig for AJs, and use 5oz jigs. Thanks for any input.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. How much action does the 500g rod give the jig? I don't want something that's a little too stiff to jig with for 8 hours. Forgot to also mention it's a spinning model I want and I use 65lb braid (may upgrade to 80lb).

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the all the input, it has been very helpful. One last thing (and it will be the last). The biggest ajs I really catch are about 30lb, not like 70lb or more, although I do want to be prepared for the big one. Would the 500g still be flexible enough for 30lb ajs?

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just happen to be sitting here setting drag on my 500g and I dropped it down to 10lbs and it still loads pretty good. It seems perfect around 18-20lbs. Ive caught plenty of medium size snapper on it and it was still good for that. If you have much chance on fish over 30lbs I would stick with the 500g.

Are you fishing around rigs or open water? If rigs Id stick with the 500 if open maybe the 270 would work. Ive never used a 270g.

I fish on wrecks. If the 500g is good for mid sized snapper, then it should be good for 30lb+ ajs. I obviously need more backbone to keep them out of the wrecks too. I'll go ahead and get the 500g. Thanks for all the great input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts