hopper rod

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by FishingAddict, Apr 2, 2009.

1. FishingAddict

FishingAddict Member

I've been looking at the 160-270g and 250-500g rods and was wondering which one would be better. I would get a 400g rod, but obviously there isn't one, and I'm thinking the 500g might be too stiff, or maybe the 270g might be too weak. I jig for AJs, and use 5oz jigs. Thanks for any input.

2. papio

papio Senior Member

Go with 500 or 600g. I use 600g spin and not stiff to me when targeting decent size AJ in the gulf.

3. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

I have the 500g. I love it but if I knew I was only targeting AJs I would go with the 600g.

4. FishingAddict

FishingAddict Member

Thanks for the input. How much action does the 500g rod give the jig? I don't want something that's a little too stiff to jig with for 8 hours. Forgot to also mention it's a spinning model I want and I use 65lb braid (may upgrade to 80lb).

5. FishingAddict

FishingAddict Member

How close would the 270g hopper rod be to a trevala?

6. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I agree, go with the 500g or 600g rod for AJs.

I have the 600g 5'8" conventional rod. Its a nice rod for the price. So far it made short work of a Longfin Tuna. I also plan to use it on AJs in Wilmington NC this summer.

I would also get the 400g 4'10" Hopper if I did not already have the Barefoot 400g 4'10" rod; which I am told is the same blank.

Good luck with your future rod purchase.

Ty

7. papio

papio Senior Member

270g is stronger than Trevala. Looks and name is the only thing Trevala got over the Hopper. I also use the 270g when current allows and that's not too often in the gulf.

Trevala is so overrated and then some. They make fun rods for inshore and freshwater fishing. If you like fishing with a ramen noodle, get a Trevala.

8. FishingAddict

FishingAddict Member

Thanks for the all the input, it has been very helpful. One last thing (and it will be the last). The biggest ajs I really catch are about 30lb, not like 70lb or more, although I do want to be prepared for the big one. Would the 500g still be flexible enough for 30lb ajs?

9. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

I just happen to be sitting here setting drag on my 500g and I dropped it down to 10lbs and it still loads pretty good. It seems perfect around 18-20lbs. Ive caught plenty of medium size snapper on it and it was still good for that. If you have much chance on fish over 30lbs I would stick with the 500g.

Are you fishing around rigs or open water? If rigs Id stick with the 500 if open maybe the 270 would work. Ive never used a 270g.

10. FishingAddict

FishingAddict Member

I just happen to be sitting here setting drag on my 500g and I dropped it down to 10lbs and it still loads pretty good. It seems perfect around 18-20lbs. Ive caught plenty of medium size snapper on it and it was still good for that. If you have much chance on fish over 30lbs I would stick with the 500g.

Are you fishing around rigs or open water? If rigs Id stick with the 500 if open maybe the 270 would work. Ive never used a 270g.

I fish on wrecks. If the 500g is good for mid sized snapper, then it should be good for 30lb+ ajs. I obviously need more backbone to keep them out of the wrecks too. I'll go ahead and get the 500g. Thanks for all the great input!