Hopper or Barefoot?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by first catch, Mar 31, 2009.

1. first catch

first catch Senior Member

Is the hopper rod any better than a barefoot rod? I was looking for a good rod that's not too expensive. I've also looked at the sea magic dragonfly rods and was wanting to know if they are parabolic. Thanks!

2. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I love my Barefoot rod, I have the 5'3" one with a JX mounted to it. Its a great budget starter jigging rod.

3. papio

papio Senior Member

I have both of them. The Hopper is parabolic strong and much stronger than Barefoot. I like both and glad I bought them. Only read and seen pix of the Dragonflys.

4. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I also have both the Hopper and Barefoot rods (all overhead/conventional). In fact I had another Barefoot rod arrive yesterday. I will use the Barefoot rods as inshore jigging rods for friends and family.

Barefoot 400g 4'10"
    Barefoot 250g 5'3"
    Hopper 600g 5'8"

One thing I did learn about my purchase of the 4'10" rod is that my original concern of using a short jigging rod would be a problem. Now I think I prefer the short jigging rods. So in the future I think my conventional jigging rods will be in the 4'8" to 5'5" range.

Of the two rods the Hopper is parabolic with backbone, whereas the Barefoot is a lot more parabolic.
    I did a 10# dead lift for both Barefoot Rods and they had held up well enough. The Hopper did much better even at 20#.

In my opinion between the two the Hopper would be a better purcahase since the rod is still in production. The Barefoot rod is not in production, in fact while writing this email I checked the specs for the Barefoot rod I purchased the other day and it is no longer on the website.

I have read from other forum members that they think both rods are made on the same blank. I know the Hopper Rods are made on the hollow Estfin blanks, which are pweter in color. The barefoot rods do not seem to have the same feel when tapped on, and the blank is black. So if I am not missing something more obvious than that then it would appear they are not really the same blank.

You can check out the rods in action catching Goliath Grouper in the four videos posted at the tackle shop for the Hopper Rods.

I did catch a 50# Longfin Tuna on the Hopper 600g rod, and that was a lot of fun. And I look forward to continuing the fun as I graduate my gear to more premium products in the very near future. But in the mean time the Hopper Rod is a nice budget entry level rod or a backup party boat rod.

P.S.
    For at least the 600g Hopper conventional rod the package insert say Fuji SIC guides, triple wrapped. Where the website only mention SIC guides and double wrapped for the rods.

I hope that was helpful. I am sure others will chime in. Good luck in your future rod purchase.

peace!
    Ty

5. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

I was wondering if any of you guys that have a Barefoot also have a Trevala and how they compare to each other?

6. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Matt,
    I previously own 400g 4'10" Barefoot, for me Barefoot has more backbone than Trevala.

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I was wondering if any of you guys that have a Barefoot also have a Trevala and how they compare to each other?

I have a Barefoot and 2 Shimanos and there is no comparison. The Shimanos are whimpy with no backbone and the Barefoot has way more backbone.

8. atcer

atcer Guest

Hopper rods has a special going on now with Avet comb for 50 dollars off I think...around $350-$500 depending on which Avet reel you choose...John

9. first catch

Thanks for all the info. I guess my next question would be is the hopper rod action comparable to the action of the trevala? I know it's parabolic, but I've never held one before, so I'm just wanting to make the right decision. For $150 is the hopper the best rod for the money? Also, I'll be using a 5oz jig on it with about 20 +/- drag. Would the 300-400g rod be okay for that? Thanks.

10. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Thanks for all the info. I guess my next question would be is the hopper rod action comparable to the action of the trevala? I know it's parabolic, but I've never held one before, so I'm just wanting to make the right decision. For $150 is the hopper the best rod for the money? Also, I'll be using a 5oz jig on it with about 20 +/- drag. Would the 300-400g rod be okay for that? Thanks.

I love my 500g 5' 8" Hopper and would say its as good as you could get for the price. It is super light and the action in it really whips the fish. I have never looked at the barefoots but I have heard they are the same rods. If I was after a 4'10" 400g I may have to give the barefoots a try. I dont think they offer the longer heavy rods.

11. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Matt,
    I previously own 400g 4'10" Barefoot, for me Barefoot has more backbone than Trevala.

Thanks, I was looking for a budget rod for Mikes boat to use for begginers and just as a backup or maybe keep for myself if it's got the backbone you guys have mentioned. So i guess you don't have it anymore? Does Doug or Jim have one? I might get with them if they do and see if they will bring it to a meeting so i can check it out.

12. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

I have a Barefoot and 2 Shimanos and there is no comparison. The Shimanos are whimpy with no backbone and the Barefoot has way more backbone.

Thanks for the info. I think i'll get one and try it out. I guess after hearing that from you guys i'm wondering why so many people are buying the trevalas instead of the much cheaper barefoot. I can't say much since i have 3 trevalas and they have been good rods, but just not enough backbone. They have since been moved over to lighter duty since i got my OTI and Bluerose.

13. first catch

Again, thanks for all the help! My last question (I think) is other than the warranty which the barefoots don't have, are the hopper rods worth the extra money over the barefoots?

14. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Again, thanks for all the help! My last question (I think) is other than the warranty which the barefoots don't have, are the hopper rods worth the extra money over the barefoots?

Yes... the Hopper would be a better buy for the money, for waranty and better guides, and slightly better wrapping.

15. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I think i'll get one and try it out. I guess after hearing that from you guys i'm wondering why so many people are buying the trevalas instead of the much cheaper barefoot. I can't say much since i have 3 trevalas and they have been good rods, but just not enough backbone. They have since been moved over to lighter duty since i got my OTI and Bluerose.

Shimano has a much larger marking budget and they do make some great products. Its just the Travela Rods are better used as inshore or light duty rods, the stated specs are over optimistic.

I did the same thing when I switched over to OTI rods, moved the others to backup and loaner rods.

Ty

16. first catch

Yes... the Hopper would be a better buy for the money, for waranty and better guides, and slightly better wrapping.

Okay thanks. Does anybody have the 5'8" 80-200lb 160-270g rod? I think that may be the one I get. I have a Saltist 30t and I usually thumb the spool if I need the extra drag and use 5oz jigs. Just wondering if this would be a good rod for that application or should I go heavier? I'm just worried about less action of the rod by going heavier.

17. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Sounds like a good match up to me. I have the saltiga 30t on a 300g rod and its what I start my day with usually.

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i think they are made on the same blank...

19. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

You will not be disappointed in the Hopper rods; they are great rods for the price. I used to own three of them. The 600 gram Hopper is a beast. You will be okay with the 300-400 gram. The type of rod and the length is going to be your preference. I'm like Philly, I prefer the shorter rods.

The only way to know which rod will work for you is to buy a spinning and a casting rod in both lengths :D.

20. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

i think they are made on the same blank...

Bret,

Eventhough the the blank color is different? The Hopper rod is pweter and the Barefoot is black.

I was consider getting the 4'10" 400g Hopper to see if its the same as the 4'10" 400g Barefoot rod I already have; but use them both as backup/loaner rods.

P.S.
    When you coming back up to Philly?

peace!
    Ty