"Hopper" jigging rods from FTU - need input

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by jerry-rigged, Aug 27, 2007.

1. jerry-rigged

jerry-rigged Junior member

Has anyone tryed the FTU store brand "Hopper" rod? How do they compare to the Travala rods or the Islander SeaMagic?

I'm looking for a blackfin/snapper jigging rod to match up with a Saltist40h.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. gman

gman Senior Member

They are amazing rods, very good backbone, light and are made for big fish despite there size. I have used both the lighter version for snapper and AJ's and the heavier for grouper. Awesome rod for the money but so are the OTI's which FTU has as well

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I fought a 70-80 lbs yellowfin with 500 g Hooper rod and Torsa 30 yesterday.
    The rod has enough backbone and I felt it can handle much bigger tuna.
    However the thin foregrip which seems to be moving when pressured along with wobbling Torsa 30 have me some hardtime to fight. When I saw the OTI jigging rod for the first time, I thought the thick foregrip adds too much weight on the rod. But after the fight I changed my mind. :)

4. papio

papio Senior Member

thanks for the report Ksong. I'm expecting my Hopper 600g Spin sometime this week and according to your report I'm sure I won't be dissappointed with the rod. I also have the OTI 600g rod and I agree the foregrip is a little thick to my liking. I think if the grip was rotated halfway around to a more slimmer grip it would be perfect for me. I've got medium hands so maybe TJ will take note and produce some rods with a rotated slimmer foregrip for us small to medium anglers.

5. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Next shipment of OTI rods will have a smaller fore grips.

Thanks for your input.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

tj,
    I tried OTI jiggiging rod with Blue Heaven reel, but unfortunately I couldn't get a hit while using the setup. next time. I had three other yellowfin in 70-80 lbs range on jigs when I used my normal 8' GUSA Wahoo rod. For my age, it is difficult to jig hard with Japanese style hectic jerk/crank for long period time. :)

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Kil,

Your has been jigging all these years, I don't think you will have problem with Japanese style jigging:) . Your muscle are build for jigging :D .

Are coming down to fish the TBB'07 ?

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,

Your has been jigging all these years, I don't think you will have problem with Japanese style jigging:) . Your muscle are build for jigging :D .

Are coming down to fish the TBB'07 ?
    I still can jig long hours. I must jigged 10 hours straight from 10:00 pm to 8:am without sleep on the yesteday's trip, but I can not jig like Japanese guys for long period time. :)

I wish I fish on the TBB 07 trip.
    I tried my best to change the other schedule planned already, but I couldn't. :( Good luck on the trip.