360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tryed the FTU store brand "Hopper" rod? How do they compare to the Travala rods or the Islander SeaMagic?

I'm looking for a blackfin/snapper jigging rod to match up with a Saltist40h.

Thanks,
Jerry

·
2,924 Posts
They are amazing rods, very good backbone, light and are made for big fish despite there size. I have used both the lighter version for snapper and AJ's and the heavier for grouper. Awesome rod for the money but so are the OTI's which FTU has as well

·
SPONSOR
11,834 Posts
I fought a 70-80 lbs yellowfin with 500 g Hooper rod and Torsa 30 yesterday.
The rod has enough backbone and I felt it can handle much bigger tuna.
However the thin foregrip which seems to be moving when pressured along with wobbling Torsa 30 have me some hardtime to fight. When I saw the OTI jigging rod for the first time, I thought the thick foregrip adds too much weight on the rod. But after the fight I changed my mind. :)

·
553 Posts
thanks for the report Ksong. I'm expecting my Hopper 600g Spin sometime this week and according to your report I'm sure I won't be dissappointed with the rod. I also have the OTI 600g rod and I agree the foregrip is a little thick to my liking. I think if the grip was rotated halfway around to a more slimmer grip it would be perfect for me. I've got medium hands so maybe TJ will take note and produce some rods with a rotated slimmer foregrip for us small to medium anglers.

·
SPONSOR
11,834 Posts
tj,
I tried OTI jiggiging rod with Blue Heaven reel, but unfortunately I couldn't get a hit while using the setup. next time. I had three other yellowfin in 70-80 lbs range on jigs when I used my normal 8' GUSA Wahoo rod. For my age, it is difficult to jig hard with Japanese style hectic jerk/crank for long period time. :)

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
Kil,

Your has been jigging all these years, I don't think you will have problem with Japanese style jigging:) . Your muscle are build for jigging :D .

Are coming down to fish the TBB'07 ?

·
SPONSOR
11,834 Posts
Kil,

Your has been jigging all these years, I don't think you will have problem with Japanese style jigging:) . Your muscle are build for jigging :D .

Are coming down to fish the TBB'07 ?
I still can jig long hours. I must jigged 10 hours straight from 10:00 pm to 8:am without sleep on the yesteday's trip, but I can not jig like Japanese guys for long period time. :)

I wish I fish on the TBB 07 trip.
I tried my best to change the other schedule planned already, but I couldn't. :( Good luck on the trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts