360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

HooX Pictures finally available

5K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  alantani 
#1 ·
Guys,

I am trying hard to avoid fixing my fence this morning, so I figured I would post up these pictures of the Avet HOOX reel that I saw over on the Cabbage Key website, all photo credits to them! They have some specs but I think they are what we expected. The comparison photos are with an LX and also a 40/02. Looks like a really nice sized reel!

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

View attachment 783

View attachment 784

View attachment 785

View attachment 786

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
After all that waiting that everyone's been doing we finally get a glimpse. I thought this thing was supposed to pull like 35lbs of drag and have a newer design. Now the question is who's getting a new toy first? :D

NOT ME. That thing doesn't look like all the hype everybody has given it. Why not spend a little more buy one of the new Accurate Boss 2-Speeds? As far as I'm concerned, they might as well anodized it PINK!!!!

#8 ·
When choosing one between them, one of my criteria is the free spooling/castability of the reels.
IF Hoo-X's free spool and castability is as good as LX, I prefer Hoo-X to 665 as I cast a lot. I've never seen any lever drag reels with good castability except Avets small reels

The other question is which one has more cranking power as I intend to use the reels for bigger fish.

#9 ·
Yeah, I am gonna wait a bit. Whichever one I get, I plan on fishing 80# on it. I am hoping reports will prove we can get 30# drag on it (may required some 'Tani' handiwork). That would be sufficent for me. But if not, I may be spending the $$ on the 665. But does anyone know, if the drag at strike is high 20's, what is it at max?

#10 ·
Yeah, I am gonna wait a bit. Whichever one I get, I plan on fishing 80# on it. I am hoping reports will prove we can get 30# drag on it (may required some 'Tani' handiwork). That would be sufficent for me. But if not, I may be spending the $$ on the 665. But does anyone know, if the drag at strike is high 20's, what is it at max?
When I talked to Harry of the Avet, he said there is no problem to increase max drag of Hoo-X to 30 lbs by using optional cam.

#13 ·
I think most Avet lover's were expecting a totally new design for the HOOX. Everybody was all hyped up about a new generation of reels. It doesn't appear to be much of change in engineering as most expected.

Since I'm being critical. I don't like the little round knob on the Accurate's new little two speeds. (870, 665). I'm sure that Accurate has done their homework and marketing to put that round knob on the new reels. The only (Round) metal knob I've liked is the one shaped more like a donut. Like the one on the Blue Haven L50. It feels good in my cranking hand. If I worked at Accurate, it would be turned like the L50. That little bitty one just doesn't fit my hand.

I guess Shimano will answer soon with a small two speed. I would love to have a Torsa two speed. Heres a pic of the Blue Haven knob. The nice thing about this design is how it is flat on the outside. It fits the palm of your hand. I would personally like to have it around 2 1/2" in diameter.

Attachments

#14 ·
I'll be strictly jigging with mine. I was looking for something with lots of drag and light enough to jig with for a while. without fatique. I'm hoping to get at least 400yds of 80 on their to go deep, maybe one of the PE lines. I want to be able to hammer down and yank those suckers away from structure if necessary. I'm fishing with a little over 20lbs of drag now and it seems a little weak.

#15 ·
bigger than an LX... I was hoping it would be the same size.... I would rather have one of the 4/0 that arent being made anymore. ALso am disappointed in the "beefiness" of the reel.. doesnt look like it has any more gearing or drag than the LX.... truly disappointed.

#17 ·
I am also disappointed in its size, but I like the castability of the avets. If I can cast it better than the accurate, I think it may actually win with me. The rod I would have matched them with would probably only take the drag the hoo-x would put out anyway. 10 years ago we would not have even been able to make these choices. Thank goodness for advanced engineering and competition. i wasn't expecting much of a new generation, just a smooth work horse.

#18 ·
The Hoo-X came out as I expected. In fact, I am surprised they reduce the reel weight to 26 oz. It would have been nicer if the Hoo-X was 3/0 size reel like LX.
I found there is a big difference between 3/0 and 4/0 when jigging long hours though 4/0 can be manageable.

But the real issues of a small lever drag reel are how they solve the binding prolbem on high drag. With 25 - 30 lbs drag, the drag lever get stiffer to move, it loses the free spool and it also get stiffer to turn the handle.
When the expensive Shimano Torsa came out first, I expected Shimano solved these problems, but they didn't.
It amazes me many guys checked the reels at the show and told us how nice those reels look, but nobody reported the real issues.:eek:

#20 ·
Kil, do you know, with the optional cam, is the 30# drag at strike, or full? I'd like 30# at strike and close to 40# at full.
I think you can increase the drag to 30 lbs at strike, but it get stiffer to move the drag lever or turn the handle on most small drag lever reels.
If they solve the problems, the reel can be a big winner.

#21 ·
Is there a chance Alan Tani can chime in on this one?
After seeing what I have, I'm keeping my EX4/0-2 and doing his revision on it
I'm really curious if this or something similar would work on the LX.
the max I can get off my LX and still throw a 6oz lure 60 yards is 22# Full,
16 strike. I'd like to get that around 20#str./30# full. and still no lugs.
only other option is a couple pro-30/2 speeds & I aint got a grand just flyin' round.
-Brian

#22 ·
Personally, the HooX is just what I expected, a little bigger than the JX, which is what I was wanting when I got the JX. The reel reminds me of the Penn YellowTail Special conversions we used a few years back, only more, and smoother drag, and two speeds!

Can't wait to see one in person!

Tom - DBG

#23 ·
Brian- I dont think you will find a rod light enough to throw 6 oz lures and handle the 20+ lbs of drag. the seamagic jiggin stick is maxed at 20#. see my pics on another post- the rod starts twisting towards the end with 20#. With no lugs, I wouldnt want more than 20#. I had a heck of a time holding the 20# for the 5 minutes it took for the wife to snap the pictures..lol. I will let you play with my Tiagra 16 on the trip. its turned out to be a nice reeel after I worked my self inflicted bugs out of it...lol. It can button down to more than needed and still have freespool. I now just need to take it BACK apart and put the appropriate lube on the bearings thanks to the wonderful, very inteligent Alan and his very informative bearings post!!

#24 ·
Brian- I dont think you will find a rod light enough to throw 6 oz lures and handle the 20+ lbs of drag.

I'll disagree with this, there are plenty of rods that can handle that and much more.

Seeker, Calstar, and any of the top of the line Japanese rodmakers have rods that will pull 20+ lbs and throw lures almost any weight you want over 3oz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.