Hooks

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by John Greschuk, Nov 5, 2017.

1. John Greschuk

John Greschuk Member

What are the best treble hooks to use when replacing hooks on Halco 130 lures?

2. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Owner STs are what I use.

3. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

BKK are what ive been using for a while now. There are a lot of hook manufactures out there to choose from.

4. Bluefin20killer

Bluefin20killer Active Member

5. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

ST76 are heavy. Id first try ST66 and before placing on lure compare to stock on a scale to get proper sizing. At least that’s what I do but I’m also starting to do that with singles to replace trebles.

6. Kim

Kim Senior Member

John, when it comes to hooks on lures, a lot depends on how the hook affects the action of the lure. Sometimes the weight of the recommended hooks compliment the action of the lure so putting heavier or lighter hooks on could kill the action of the lure.

The Halco 130 is a lure I use and have changed the hooks out on them. I used Owner Zo Wire 3X STX58 3/0 or 4/0 on the Halco 130 and it works great.

7. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Kim,

How do you find the STXs holding up when it comes to yft? I've yet to try them as if it's not broke (STs) don't fix it. :)

8. Striker Tackle

Striker Tackle Sponsors

9. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I’ve been making the switch to in-line singles for several years now. At some point. I believe all my plugs will be singles.

10. Kim

Kim Senior Member

I think the place that the Zo Wire hooks shine is on lures like Allies and such. Some of them are sort of thick and being able to put a 5/0 hook on them, have it swim right and give better hook up ratio's.

I do have to say that for me the inline hooks don't have as good a hook up ratio as the treble hooks do. They are definitely safer for all concerned with a fish flopping around for those that don't use a fish knocker.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:29 AM
  11. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Not just weight, but also drag created by trebles,
    so when switching to singles of the same weight,
    it might effect the swim of the lure.

For tail hook singles, adding some teaser material
    increases the drag to better replicate the treble
    and adds some fish catching flash.

12. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

I just got some 135 rooster poppers and was wondering about the inline transition as well.. are the hooks that come with halcos crap like most manufacturer hooks?is there a size chart for switching to inline hooks?

13. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Was casting TA SubDarter with belly treble and tail Owner Single 9/0 but couldn’t get it to swim until I flipped the single so hook point is down. Got bit immediately after that. I could also feel it swimming where’s before it was skimming the surface.

Later I tried two singles and it swam well but the bite ended. Next trip I’m trying that out. As well as just the rear single.

That tail hook appears to create enough resistance to get it swimming. This was in 25-30 miles per hour winds and 150# leader. Casts were maxing out around 30 yards. Normally I’m able to swim it well with just the one belly treble but wind was creating its own belly in the line and couldn’t get the lure to dig. I’d rather not go with two trebles as the lure comes packaged.

I’ll gladly sacrifice the bite to avoid damaging a large female. I also don’t want the risk at night in high wind and possibly getting blindsided by a wave and having two trebles hooking me or another.

The key for me is finding a comparable weight replacement and enough bite to mimic in diameter what’s been replaced. Sometimes that means going slightly higher on the bite to achieve the weight.

For example. Owner recommends the 7/0 single for the 4/0 treble yet I found on this particular lure it swam better with 9/0. Problem is sometimes the two tangle. I might try 9/0 and 7/0 to see if that’s avoided. Otherwise, if I can swim it with a single rear 9/0 I’m good. I’d prefer that anyway.

14. Kim

Kim Senior Member

REPLACEMENT HOOK SIZE CHART*
    Treble
    .......................Single Replacement
    #10......................................... #6
    #8........................................... #4
    #6........................................... #2
    #4........................................... #1
    #2........................................... 2/0
    #1........................................... 3/0
    1/0.......................................... 4/0
    2/0.......................................... 5/0
    3/0.......................................... 6/0
    4/0.......................................... 7/0
    5/0.......................................... 8/0

* Treble hook sizing varies between manufacturers. This chart is for basic reference.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 5:23 PM
    HungryJack likes this.
  15. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Jim Bob likes this.
  16. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Owner St-66 in 2/o size is the perfect replacement teble hook for that lure.
    make sure to upgrade the split rings, too!

Jim Bob likes this.
  17. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Charts help but only true confirmation is to swim it with the leader being used. When in doubt. I’ve found going a size higher helps stabilize the lure. Bigger gap. Better bite. More drag potential. Plus. Plus. Plus. :)

18. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Owner St-66 in 2/o size is the perfect replacement treble hook for that lure.
    make sure to upgrade the split rings, too!

HungryJack likes this.
  19. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

+1