Hooks?

Discussion in 'Reef fish' started by surfcowboy, Mar 10, 2009.

1. surfcowboy

surfcowboy Site Sponsor

What are the best hooks to use for AJ's and sizes

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Circle hooks for bait fishing.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

Shout Kudako , my fav from 5/0 to 9/0. BTW are you back home?

Shout kudako wide gap 7/0 are perfect IMHO for jigging for live bait fishing the biggest circles you can find

4. surfcowboy

surfcowboy Site Sponsor

nope i'm not back yet. i hope to be back on the 16th of march

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

agreed. as for brand thats up to you. shouts are great as are sidens. Jigging master hooks look great too, I have the 11/0 but have not used them yet. they're big enough for amberjack.

there are also owner/gama hooks that will suffice for jigging. their gap is pretty wide.

6. rhale

rhale Senior Member

for live bait fishing the biggest circles you can find

Agree but have you ever seen a Charlie Brown 24/0 circle hook ??????? If not I will have to post a pic because I think that it was made to catch Whales....

7. gman

gman Senior Member

Agree but have you ever seen a Charlie Brown 24/0 circle hook ??????? If not I will have to post a pic because I think that it was made to catch Whales....

I just saw a research vessel catching and releasing great white sharks and they were bending 36" circles hooks ... can you imagine

8. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Oh yes I can imagine.... I think every fisherman has thought about catching Jaws at least once.

9. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Cheap 11/0 Mustad Hoodlum knock-offs on eBay are OK for AJ... plenty wide and strong enough. Might use the good ones if I was going after those century mark monsters... But I'm cheap so I'd rather keep my SJ-41TG 11/0 on hand for Tuna! :)

10. gman

gman Senior Member

Oh yes I can imagine.... I think every fisherman has thought about catching Jaws at least once.

before I die I will go to australia and hook one, may not land it but I will fight one. There are people there that will do it for you, they actually catch them from the surf in some areas. We had one under the boat while sharking two years ago ... very odd feeling of being completely afraid LOL

11. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Cheap 11/0 Mustad Hoodlum knock-offs on eBay are OK for AJ... plenty wide and strong enough. Might use the good ones if I was going after those century mark monsters... But I'm cheap so I'd rather keep my SJ-41TG 11/0 on hand for Tuna! :)

Have you ever had one of those cheap 11/0 hoodlum knock offs open up on you? I got some for inshore fishing but I didn't have any confidence in them to take them AJ fishing since they are knock offs, lol.

12. Jason4606

Nope. Not even a hint of it. They're fairly heavy shank and appear to be well made - maybe even in same plant as Mustad? But I'm only putting 18-20lbs on 'em for short periods of time. I wouldn't hunt Charlie the tuna with 'em.

13. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i agree jason, those knock off mustads are pretty strong and well made. i don't think they will fail on any amberjack. have you placed them in a vice yet to see what it will take?

14. Jason4606

Not yet... I should though since I have a gazillion of 'em! :)

15. AJ hunter

AJ hunter Guest

I use 9/0 Gamakatsu 4X circle hooks or 9/0 Owner. If the fish are big I use a 13/0 Mustad circles but I sharpen them. For finicky winter ajs eating shrimp I use a red 2/0 Gamakatsu 4x.

16. nirai

nirai Senior Member

Size Matters!!!!!! IMO
    Jigging Decoy 10/0 Cutlass the biggest baddest Jig Hook out there!!!!!!
    Cutlass side by side with 13/0 Siden just a baby

Bait & Live bait Owner 12/0 Super Mutu Sports Circle

Attached Files:

lucasrus1 likes this.
  17. fishor

fishor Member

Lookin at it, the width of the gap is the same. Just the length of the shank is longer than the shiden.

18. Nepptune

Nepptune Senior Member

before I die I will go to australia and hook one, may not land it but I will fight one. There are people there that will do it for you, they actually catch them from the surf in some areas. We had one under the boat while sharking two years ago ... very odd feeling of being completely afraid LOL

G-Bomb,

Bro, you thinking about the wrong country mate... thats here in SA we catch them off the beaches... with 14 ft Surf rods and Trini 50's.... Usually using big slide baits, and the boys chasing bull sharks will swim a live 120lb stingray off the beach...

But its IS illegal to target GW's here, and in Oz.... only place you are still allowed to fish for them is NZ.... good excuse to make a trip to the Kings eh?

19. Astronut

Astronut Senior Member

For AJ's...10-12 Super Mutu's are my fav.

astro..

20. Iman

Iman Senior Member

what about the SHOUT! Kudako hooks? I use them and I love em, about the size can you tell me you use bigger sizes because I like to use 5/0kudaco and SJ 9/0. but alot of people use 11/0 , but I think they are to big for aj of 5-15kg