Hooks/lures in luggage

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by hamptonsurf, Jul 15, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Wasn't going to bring any gear on a trip to the keys (lots of stuff down there already) but got a good deal on a pile of butterfly jigs that I'd like to bring. Can I carry these on? I assume the hooks would be a no no, but I can see the checker saying something like "these jigs (probably usuing the word thingys) are like knives". Should I check jigs and hooks?

2. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

i went to florida and they told me to check all my fishing tackle and dont carry any on

3. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I guess that is the safest way to do it. It's not alot of stuff, but I'd rather lose a bunch of shirts and shorts than a pile of jigs and hooks if my bag gets lost. I'm still keeping my 50ws in my rolling bag. Those will be heavy to lug around..

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I flew all the way the PV with jigs(no hooks) in carry on.
    On the way back, our plane was delayed 4hrs and security told me that I could not take them on the plane. They sent me back to the counter to check them. The counter told me the bag was too small to check.
    At this point I was getting frustrated and I slipped the guy at the counter 40 bucks to go find my luggage. I slipped the jigs in and got on the plane.
    I always take my reels as carry on. I have yet to be stopped about the line being on the reel.
    My suggestion is to make them fit into checked baggage just in case.

5. jig

jig Senior Member

You can mail them to your outfitter in a medium USPS priority mail flat rate box for $10.35 Thats what I would do. Them put them in checked luggage for return trip, or if too heavy mail back to yourself. You can put up to 20# in there.

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Your checked luggage has to be under 50# or you are in for a huge fee.
    Then if you split and have 2 bags you still pay more money!!!
    I hate airlines and airports...

7. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

You can mail them to your outfitter in a medium USPS priority mail flat rate box for $10.35 Thats what I would do. Them put them in checked luggage for return trip, or if too heavy mail back to yourself. You can put up to 20# in there.

You can put up to 70lbs in a large flat rate box, which is the next size up. :)

Thats a lot of jigs. Plus the post office doesn't beat the stuff up the way fedex and ups do. Its all I use. I think the tracking is an extra .65.