Hooks for Yo-Zuri Sashimi Slider?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by John_Madison CT, Oct 21, 2009.

1. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

What size hooks should I use on this lure. I picked up a 140 gram sinker while on vacation in Miami (Capt Harry's).

The stock hooks look way too small.

John

2. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

funny you mention that I got some of these and I've been playing around with different size hooks as is a very short bait. I have a 4/0 in the middle and a 3/0 on the tail but they hit, so I took off the tail and replaced with a single 10/0 Gammy HD. So now they don't hit.

In cleaning and repacking my plugs from C/C - I noticed 90% of strikes are in the middle (belly) of popper.

3. John_Madison CT

Curious what brand/model hook you're using too.

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

What size hooks should I use on this lure. I picked up a 140 gram sinker while on vacation in Miami (Capt Harry's).

The stock hooks look way too small.

John
    didnt know they had a 140gm model. that might be the perfect lure. i base my hooks/size depending on what species im using it for. for tuna i would use owner st-66 2/0-3/0 since its a fairly small lure. if using for inshore or other species that are less powerful, i would use the owner st-56 or st-41 in 2/0-3/0. if the 4/0 doesnt bother the action go for it.

5. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I think I put a gamakatsu 4X 4/0 on the belly and a 3/0 on the tail, if I remember correctly.

6. GanderVA

GanderVA Senior Member

Mine is 140mm/5 1/2" 70g/2 1/2oz

7. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Mine is 140mm/5 1/2" 70g/2 1/2oz

Picked up a couple last month in sardine and flying fish. Pretty nice lure. We were hoping to get out to the canyons (Atlantis/Veatch's) one last time but there has not been a big enough window in tha past month to do an over night out there. I was going to try them on the mahi. I put ST-66 3's for mahi. You can cast them a mile................

John, if your intent is for tuna, I would try a ST-66 4 in the belly and a size 10 or 11 Gammy HD bait hook on the tail facing up. I think 3 is just too small for the tuna running up here now.

8. squidgie

squidgie Junior member

Has anyone had a problem where the middle treble seems to get stuck in the grooves in the side when working the lure ?

Tried mine today and noticed this and am thinking of running a single under the belly instead or baker rig.

9. John_Madison CT

Sorry guys, it's not 140grams, but half that, or 2.5oz..

10. Squished

Squished Senior Member

John, what's been your opinion on the Sashimi sliders so far? I picked up 2 today and when I opened them and looked at the factory hardware I was a bit appalled. I upgraded it already, didn't want to risk it as the hooks didn't even look good for stripers, nevermind tuna.

11. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

Sorry guys, it's not 140grams, but half that, or 2.5oz..
    but they are called the 140 size for some reason. nice lures. i will pick up a few at puglias in new orleans next time im there.

12. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

The 140 is actually 140mm in length. Japanese label their lures like that a lot of times. The lures actually weigh around 60g or 2.1 oz without hardware.

13. Squished

Squished Senior Member

The floaters are 48g, 1.75oz.

14. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

Nice lures, very tough, cast far.

I run 3/0 st66 on them. I would check the action carefully before going to 4/0 as larger hooks can really dampen a stick bait's action.

Just something to consider.