360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size hooks should I use on this lure. I picked up a 140 gram sinker while on vacation in Miami (Capt Harry's).

The stock hooks look way too small.

John

·
Site Sponsor
3,896 Posts
funny you mention that I got some of these and I've been playing around with different size hooks as is a very short bait. I have a 4/0 in the middle and a 3/0 on the tail but they hit, so I took off the tail and replaced with a single 10/0 Gammy HD. So now they don't hit.

In cleaning and repacking my plugs from C/C - I noticed 90% of strikes are in the middle (belly) of popper.

·
1,553 Posts
What size hooks should I use on this lure. I picked up a 140 gram sinker while on vacation in Miami (Capt Harry's).

The stock hooks look way too small.

John
didnt know they had a 140gm model. that might be the perfect lure. i base my hooks/size depending on what species im using it for. for tuna i would use owner st-66 2/0-3/0 since its a fairly small lure. if using for inshore or other species that are less powerful, i would use the owner st-56 or st-41 in 2/0-3/0. if the 4/0 doesnt bother the action go for it.

·
147 Posts
Mine is 140mm/5 1/2" 70g/2 1/2oz

Picked up a couple last month in sardine and flying fish. Pretty nice lure. We were hoping to get out to the canyons (Atlantis/Veatch's) one last time but there has not been a big enough window in tha past month to do an over night out there. I was going to try them on the mahi. I put ST-66 3's for mahi. You can cast them a mile................

John, if your intent is for tuna, I would try a ST-66 4 in the belly and a size 10 or 11 Gammy HD bait hook on the tail facing up. I think 3 is just too small for the tuna running up here now.

·
26 Posts
Has anyone had a problem where the middle treble seems to get stuck in the grooves in the side when working the lure ?

Tried mine today and noticed this and am thinking of running a single under the belly instead or baker rig.

·
1,631 Posts
John, what's been your opinion on the Sashimi sliders so far? I picked up 2 today and when I opened them and looked at the factory hardware I was a bit appalled. I upgraded it already, didn't want to risk it as the hooks didn't even look good for stripers, nevermind tuna.

·
1,448 Posts
Sorry guys, it's not 140grams, but half that, or 2.5oz..
but they are called the 140 size for some reason. nice lures. i will pick up a few at puglias in new orleans next time im there.

·
4,723 Posts
The 140 is actually 140mm in length. Japanese label their lures like that a lot of times. The lures actually weigh around 60g or 2.1 oz without hardware.

·
3,483 Posts
Nice lures, very tough, cast far.

I run 3/0 st66 on them. I would check the action carefully before going to 4/0 as larger hooks can really dampen a stick bait's action.

Just something to consider.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts