hooks for snapper

Discussion in 'Reef fish' started by kidflex, Dec 23, 2008.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i know that you have to use circle hooks when using live/dead bait. what about when using a bucktail, snapper slapper, ball jigs etc. tipped with squid or sardine? can you tip these lures with bait. i havent had anyone on the boats out of galveston say anything to me about it, just want to make sure i'm legit. thanks

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah you can. when jigging for seabass in the NE i've tipped hammered diamond jigs with squid, clam, fluke bellies...anything that helps :)

it's sort of glorified bait fishing but thats ok :p

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You can try tipping with a small piece of saltwater gulp to produce the smell effect similar to real cut bait, except the gulp piece will last longer. You should see this idiot I know that tandem rigs a big ass live pinfish on top and butterfly style jig on the bottom.... :confused:

tugasangler likes this.
  4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

brian you can try a teaser as well. should work....then again ive found that snapper kill diamond jigs as soon as they hit the bottom so i havent had a need to try otherwise :)

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

thanks, just making sure you can still use lures with j hooks tipped with bait.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

define 'can'....legally?

if its illegal then id like to know as well since i do it all the time :)

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

this past season, i had a friend that bought a bunch of snapper slappers and cut the hooks off and jerry rigged it with circle hooks because he was tipping with sardines. this made me think because no one uses these without tipping with bait. i figured the company would either change hook design or go out of business. if im not mistaken, the reg did say all live or dead bait must be used with a circle hook for all reef species. i never got into the specifics/exceptions .im too lazy to read through the regs at this time, i will follow up on it though.

8. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

so all baits must be on circle hooks?unless artificial? i dont get it

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

so all baits must be on circle hooks?unless artificial? i dont get it

If you're live baiting or using cut bait, just stick to circle hooks, much easier to remove hooks afterward. Lures like that big eyeball thing and Lucanus jigs are fine with J-type hooks.

10. Staven

Staven Senior Member

this past season, i had a friend that bought a bunch of snapper slappers and cut the hooks off and jerry rigged it with circle hooks because he was tipping with sardines. this made me think because no one uses these without tipping with bait. i figured the company would either change hook design or go out of business. if im not mistaken, the reg did say all live or dead bait must be used with a circle hook for all reef species. i never got into the specifics/exceptions .im too lazy to read through the regs at this time, i will follow up on it though.

Unless I am mistaken, the circle hook regulation is for live bait or dead bait only. It is same here in FL now. The bucktail changes things, kind of a gray zone here in FL right now. Depends on who you ask, but most say that tipping a bucktail jig is still just that and is still fishing artificial so the J hook is not a issue because it is not live bait fishing.

Mpro2 likes this.
  11. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

so staven im going out on monday and i live in jacksonville so since were catching bait and also using cut squid we should only be using circle hooks by law. cause i like the octopus style hooks.

12. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Don't fish with a rig that will gut or gill hook a reef fish (snapper) that may have to be released, and have a a venting tool to help with the release.
    The new standards are about letting\helping released fish live.
    Flipper will still hang out and eat the slower swimming released fish.

If I am freelining a bait with a J hook or 3 J Hooks even for King or ling and a snapper bites because it rose up into the water colum. I understand this is bycatch.

Laws are now in place that help\hinder a conservitve minded fishermen.

Is a hook that is short shank like OTI Raptor meet the standard, I think

so. As jig hooks like these are ment to hook the mouth.

K2
    Ps
    The 2cool.com guys on the blue water board have been discussing this
    for a bit. (Snapper laws) and might be worth a look.

13. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Unless I am mistaken, the circle hook regulation is for live bait or dead bait only. It is same here in FL now. The bucktail changes things, kind of a gray zone here in FL right now. Depends on who you ask, but most say that tipping a bucktail jig is still just that and is still fishing artificial so the J hook is not a issue because it is not live bait fishing.

thats good to hear. the same laws for reef fish in florida are the same in louisiana and texas.

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

thats good to hear. the same laws for reef fish in florida are the same in louisiana and texas.

Its a federal law, it requires circle hooks for bait fishing as well as a de-hooker and vent tool if you are fishing for reef fishes.

d-a

15. FISHINGUY

FISHINGUY Active Member

As far as I know, Circle hooks for live/dead bait, the hooks that are already mounted on artificial lures are good to go. I have used many Fish - trap swim baits that requires the use of lead head j hooks that complete the rig for use, and capts/deck hands have never told me I was in the wrong. The only comment I get is Wow !! Wow !!! What are you using to get so many hook-ups ???? Thanks FISHINGUY.

16. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

You dug deep to get this one!

I saw the title and thought "wow, Brian's back".

17. Goose

Goose Junior member

I've been using jigs by Hookup Lures XL Series. These are light jigs with sharp hooks, been my go to for snapper.

18. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Ahhh a blast from the last, reminding us of more stupid regs put in place that make no sense. Nothing like trying to dig a circle hook out of a gut hooked snapper. I only use circles on tuna and deep drop. Go ahead and lock me up...

Mpro2 likes this.