Hooks compared to quarters for size

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Kim, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

20180427_165327.jpg

I posted this up just for informational purposes using the quarter for size reference.

The 10/0 Raptor hook is bigger than the 13/0 Black Dog assist hook.

The 6/0 Raptor hook is a shade bigger than the 9/0 Black Dog assist hook.

The 7/0 Z0-Wire hook is pretty much the same size as the Raptor 6/0 hook.

The Trokar 8/0 hook is smaller than the 7/0 Zo-Wire hook and the weight about the same.

FWIW the Trokar 8/0 HD live bait hook makes a great assist hook.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  2. explorer

explorer Member

Exactly what I need to......Can’t really use the numbers they declared. o_O

3. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

It really is amazing that there isn’t an accepted sizing chart.

4. John Borrelli

John Borrelli Active Member

Yes I agree with the above as well.

An issue for me, since buying my new slow pitch rod, is that the tip is very light. I would prefer to use light wire hooks as I believe I can get a better hook set and I fish for smaller types of fish so willing to risk breaking a hook. A package of Jigging Master hooks advertises "reduced thickness” as an asset. However, a quick look at hook packages by companies like Decoy, Shout and Jigging Master doesn’t indicate any wire gauge size listed for their hooks. A description sometimes used for light wire is finesse and heavy wire might be: 2x, 3X, 4x etc. but again not a very standardized system. Perhaps a quarter used sideways? :)

My dream treble hook is large in size but made of the thinnest gauge wire.

5. Kim

Best advice I can give on that is try the Owner Z0-Wire hooks, they are about 20% thinner/lighter than the same size steel hooks even though they are 3X strong. Since you say you don't mind breaking the occasional hook you could also try some of the thin wire live bait hooks from Gamakatsu, Owner and Eagle Claw.

Another option instead of a treble hook would he to double up in line/assist hooks back to back for the bottom hooks and one or two assist rigged hooks at the top of the lure. Using doubled inline hooks will have the hooks horizontal with the lure and the assist hooks will be perpendicular.

20180201_165431.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  6. Lorenz89

Lorenz89 Member

This might be difficult, but why not publish the length in mm, gape width, wire thickness, weight, 'power level' ... on the website? Every manufacturer should be able to do that, with rather little work.
    Owner prints some values on the package of some hooks; at leasts that's a beginning :)
    IMG_3695.JPG

Otherwise, especially when shopping online, we mainly rely on other sources.
    Some shops like e.g. Wellsys list the length and gape in mm on their website; that's a great service.
    https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_p...ineSingleHooks-8122-1775-.aspx#horizontalTab2

Maybe a mod can open a thread with all the usefull pictures, data and links to compare hooks; without any other content.

Kim, jcho and John Borrelli like this.
  7. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

So I want to get some inline hooks for my big stickbait (22cm Bertox or Siren). Any recommendations for those lures?

8. John Borrelli

John Borrelli Active Member

Yes Lorenz is right about publishing all the dimensions and also that ordering online is the problem. I also like your idea Kim about making your own double hook. I often use a set-up of a Decoy single assist hook at the top of the lure and a treble at the bottom. I have “in-stock” some open eyed Siwash hooks by Owner and Gamakatsu that would work with the size of split rings I use.

9. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

My hooks require silver dollars for comparison. Regardless, I match the actual hook to the lure and don’t bother with the label on the package. Why it’s good to buy single packets than order bulk once it’s figured out. ;)

10. Kim

I got that idea from the GT anglers.

11. north coast

north coast Senior Member

image.jpeg Funny, on hook size.
    Some years Back,the state decided that we couldn't use 11/0 circle hooks for tub trawls(longlines)anymore. I haven't a clue why.(Another fish-0-crat bright idea.) 11/0 mustad circles were the standard in the industry for years.
    Well,an 11/0 mustad commercial circle hook isn't much bigger around than your thumbnail. Tiny in comparison to many other brands of the same size. Many guys had to dump a ton of hooks to replace with a 12/0.Someone at a regulatory meeting brought a bunch of different brand 11/0 hooks and showed them the huge difference. Crickets! I don't think that they knew what to say.

I agree with Luke that it is amazing that there is really no standard.One manufacturers hook can vary widely with another's, in the same size!
    That law was never changed and is still on the books, you are still not allowed to use 11/0 hooks(of any kind) on tub trawls but I don't believe a single game warden or other enforcement person even remembers this nonsense,or would have a clue what size you were using.

In the picture is an eagle claw commercial 11/0,about the same size as a mustad.
    Along side a 6/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle. SIX sizes difference,yet very nearly the same size!

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  12. Lorenz89

Lorenz89 Member

I don't even trust manufacturers to use the same standard on all of their hooks...
    E.g. to me the Owner Jobu is bigger than some other Owner Hooks.

13. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

14. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large.

50 lb striped bass is extra large,
    15 lb summer flounder is extra large
    5 lb porgie is extra large.

All are considered "extra large," all are fish,
    yet all are different weights,
    no issues there with understanding.

You compare 3 different style hooks,
    all are hooks,
    and yet here, you are surprised by a difference.

-------
    -------

Here is another one to chew on,

2x hook is NOT twice as strong as 1x or reg hook in same style.
    3x hook is NOT three times as strong either
    and so on.

-------------

So many Linear Thinkers on this site.
    Don't want to be a linear thinker when trying to excel in
    an activity involving nature, like fishing or hunting.

I wonder what feels better
    the 8/0 or 14/0 ? :)
    nintchdbpict000300254405.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  15. Kim

Eric for the 8 1/2" Siren and similar sized stick baits, I use the Raptor 7/0 or the Owner 9/0 Zo-Wire inline hooks or the ST58-4/0 or 5/0 Zo-Wire treble hooks. For a tight wiggle use a treble in the middle and a single inline on the tail. For a lazy wide swimming action use two inline hooks. It's not bad idea to experiment with different size hooks to see what works best with that particular lure.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    scubaarchery likes this.
  16. Hoogan

Hoogan Junior member

I never understood the inconsistency from one maker to another with the circles, amongst J hooks much more standardized. I still find a place and time for J’s and for circles respectively. I use both hook styles, alot of people have switched totally to circles (bait).

17. north coast

north coast Senior Member

I hear you. I also use both.
    In fact I use circles less than j hooks and trebles.
    All depends what I'm doing.

18. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Thanks Kim!