360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was making some windon's tonight and as I was walking by my tackle wall, a pack of pearl squids caught my eye. Since I already had the glue out, I thought what the heck.

1. Trim off the tip of the squid to go over the ring (for stiff rigged hooks) You wouldn't need to do that with a flexi.

2. Slip it down over the ring, going about 1/8 past where you want it.

3. Drop of glue.

4. Slide it back up and trim off the hair a little.

Army of Soldiers

G

·
you beat me to the pics :). I have a few ready for panama. should work well i presume, we'll see if they work better than normal though.

·
620 Posts
Looks good Jim... I've been rigging my assists with little squidies for a while now, picked it up from the Kiwi Jiggers, and I like it...

I like the tiny Yamashita Glow Squids, especially when fishing close to the bottom for structure oreintated fish like grouper etc, the little glow skirt really helps...
The only down side I've found is that smaller fish, and I mean tiny little rock hind anc coney types will smack that glow squid before you've even had a chance to start working the jig at times.... I've hauled in numerous rockfish types that were smaller than the jig because of this...

·
620 Posts
Jim

If you are quick on the draw in getting your jig back off the bottom quickly, then you shouldn't have any issues, especially if you not using glow versions... but I reckon they do add an edge in some case, especially with your bottom huggers like Grouper...
There is also a theory that because Groupers etc are "suction" feeders, in that they inhale their prey, that the added skirt has more resistance, and is therefore more easily sucked into the mouth of an inhalation feeder, therby increasing the chances of the Assist swinging into the mouth and getting a solid hook up.... who knows, perhaps thats over thinking it a big, but I can understand the thought processes behind it...

I think in alot of cases they won't make much of a difference, but in some cases they could make all the difference...

And if John likes them, well thats good enough for me! :)

Besides, they are pretty fun to make, like fly tying for retards, so gives one something to do when you can't be on the water fishing!!! HAHAHAHA!! :)

·
145 Posts
Nepptune I think if you make some octopus skirts on the FC would be good. because I think if they( the fish) see small squids 'escaping' from the predator in our case the jig it would drive the predators fish to Hunt!or maybe im wrong well im gonna to try i.t

·
620 Posts
Iman - True what you say mate, but you the run the risk of a predator striking the squids and cutting you off..... I think it would cause some tangle issues on the drop too.... Another theory withy the Assist Hook dressed with a squid is that this creates the look of a baitfish chasing the small squid, which incites the predator to strike.... much like your theory..

Who really knows what works, or what a fish thinks, but constant experimentation like this from anglers around the world is what keeps pushing the edge and envelope of our sport... small things can make great changes and developments...experimentation is crucial... at least thats what I tell the ladies...

·
145 Posts
Iman - experimentation is crucial... at least thats what I tell the ladies...

100% agree;) :D

About the skirts, yes I think that would the main draw back.

·
Site Sponsor
3,890 Posts
We have those in 5 colors, $1.25 per pack of 5 pcs

Welcome to TackleNow.com!

Sometimes the glow do bring on the doggies but them again I've had trips when I've been the only one using them at the rail and catching. Last yr on Kil's trip on the Atlantic Star I nailed 5 tiles, one right after another, on a jig with the blue 3.5" 1g ones on the teaser....guys next to me nada.

The Pink Head Glow body is a producer as well, but in the Winter I like the Blue ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts