Hook help

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Mitchw123456, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I'm looking for the "perfect" hook. I'm looking for some 9/0 "J" hook, the kicker is they must be very, very thin but still be extremely strong. I have an odd fascination with fishing stingray tournaments and they have the absolute hardest mouth of any fish I've ever tangled with. Last year I had numerous runs and just couldn't get my thicker shank 10/0 Js to stick. I dropped down to a 9/0 J and it straightened out on the side of the boat literally seconds before the ray was fixing to get the bangstick. In the years past I've never had this much problem but after last year and having a 200#+ ray boat side and seeing the hook straighten I want revenge (especially after fighting the thing 4 and a half hours!.) I usually use my Avet 50 SDS' and usually fish with 30#s of drag. Any suggestions?

2. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

Mustad 76911S Fine wire Southern style Tuna hook - Stainless steel
    not exactly a j-hook but maybe you could open it a little

or

Mustad 7754D Bay King....... it IS a j-hook that's Forged high carbon steel, Short shank, 2 x Extra strong, Knife Edge, Special tinned finish, Welded eye. and Stronger than equivalent sized 7731

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you really have problems with stingrays???

4. Mitchw123456

yea two years ago we had absolutetly zero problem getting those 10/0 Mustads to stick (weighted one right at 190lb and realsed 4 more in the same range in 2 days) but someone jinxed me and made mention of me using big shanked hooks for them. It got bad enough last year I let one ray run a solid 300 yards before setting the hook on him just hoping it would get that big ole whiting down deep enough to stick. I'm thinking about using a smaller say 6/0 or so sized hooks as a trailer or maybe even some big 4/0 trebles. I'm still frustrated at loosing that one big ray literally seconds before the flying gaf and bang stick went in...

5. Bill Fisher

mustad's titanium hooks #7732TB ???....... (dunno the wire diameter though)
    maybe they'd be stronger AND thinner

i personally think if you're gonna use j-hooks you just gotta make sure you sharpen'em real good and no 'girly-man' sticking allowed......... set the hook like you got a pair! :D

of course that's gonna be tough with 300 yds o'line out

dunno what else to say other than try sumpin kirbed?

6. Bill Fisher

i think these were a 'flash-in-the-pan'

liquid metal (like the Terminatorette chick')................

Marlin - Rocket Hooks

7. Mitchw123456

thanks for the info bill I may give those a shot. Just to reiterate usually don't let them get that far away before trying tostick them, it was just an act of desperation hoping that that big whiting would get somewhere around his asshole before we started trying to set the hook.

8. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Expose the hook tip from the bait.
    and follow the rest of the normal rules.
    Don't out think the situation.....

9. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

gamakatsu
    owner

sharp out of the package and very strong

10. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

gamakatsu
    owner

sharp out of the package and very strong

I agree here. The hook point has to be critically sharp to get the easiest, and best penetration.

I wouldn't go to a thinner shank. Your hooks used to work, right? Forget about the jinx!

11. Mitchw123456

good point Ragman, I've always been anal about keepinghooks sharp, maybe its just all in my head lol

12. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Why a J hook? I would think that a circle hook would be perfect for that type of fishing.

13. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

i think the mouth shape on a ray would make it hard for the circle hook to catch, their mouths are almost oval shaped and there's very little soft tissue for the circle point to grab onto for the hooking action to work.

that's what i have found, but Mitch might have a different opinion after catching bigger rays

14. Bill Fisher

yup........ i whuddn't even gonna mention SST hooks cuz o'the clsoed gape

but!........

the hays hook is supposed be pretty strong and doesn't appear to be quite
    as closed off as SSt hooks.....Legend Lures - Hooks

15. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

i have heard great things about the hays hooks, a lot of people use them fro wahoo lures, but they're really expensive. i can see the price being the only drawback.

16. Mitchw123456

I've caght smaller rays by accident with circles but never landed a 200+ fish with a circle. I think alot of the problem is is that I live bait them and to get a decent sized circle hook they have a massive shank on them which is really tough on live bait. I just bought a dozen of the those hays hooks, I really like that wide gap on them. Thanks for the info guys

17. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

where do you live they you fish ray tournaments?

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

You might try the Quick Rig Charlie Brown Special. The guys in Alaska use it for barn-door size halibut. They come in sizes up to 24/0.:eek: Are you catching these big rays in the bay system? Here's a pic of the 24/0.

Attached Files:

19. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Expose the hook tip from the bait.
    and follow the rest of the normal rules.
    Don't out think the situation.....

Match the size of the hook to the bait and the strenght of the hook to the drag. If your live baiting then yep that fish won't swim to well with a hook half it's weight through it's nose.

Back in the day, (70's-80's) for big rays in the upper TX coast passes I prefered a large mullet fresh out of a cast net. Remove the head and set on bottom.

Seemed to get eaten more often than live mullet or other fresh dead bait.

Hooks were hand sharpened Mustad Ohshanassy (sp).

Nantucket sleigh ride = 6\0, John Boat, 180 - 200 pound ray. :D

Oh and always while baiting ( live or dead ) make sure that a scale is not stuck on the hook tip after

after running it through the bait. I know this info is "Fishing 101"

But that remains my point.

K2

20. Mitchw123456

You might try the Quick Rig Charlie Brown Special. The guys in Alaska use it for barn-door size halibut. They come in sizes up to 24/0.:eek: Are you catching these big rays in the bay system? Here's a pic of the 24/0.

I actually have some of those that I shark fish with but they are just too big for a ray. And yes most of hte rays are in the bay along the spoil banks and/or shell pads.