Hook Cutter

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MrBill, Jun 14, 2009.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I've been looking for a high quality bolt cutter that is small and will fit in any jig bag, popper bag or tackle box. I finally found a great pair of excellent quality small bolt cutters to cut hooks if needed. We all spend a bunch on tackle and a nice pair of bolt cutters should be packed on every trip just in case of hook removal.

The cutter is made in Germany by Knipex. Most lineman use these over Kline and other high quality cutters. You can also use these for cutting Stainless steel piano wire, multistrand stainless cable or anything made of steel that you use while fishing. The model is 71 02 200. They retail for $75 but I got mine on Amazon for about $43. Small price for a tool if you have a big strong 4X hook imbedded in your body.

Cuts material like bolts, nails, rivets, etc. up to 6 mm dia. About 1/4".
    Exceptional cutting performance with minimum effort because of new lever action design. Cutting edges additionally induction hardened, cutting edge hardness approx. 64 HRC. The are Forged Chrome Vanadium electric steel, oil-hardened and tempered.

Attached Files:

2. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Thanks for the tip Mr. Bill. How do you think they'll hold up to offshore abuse with salt spray? I know Chrome Vanadium is tough and wears well over the long run, but I'm not familiar with it's corrosion resistance properties.

Yikes. I'm guessing that last pic isn't your hand.....fingers are too small :D

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

How about a graphic content warning, I just ate!!!:eek:

4. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

How about a graphic content warning, I just ate!!!:eek:

Mr. Bill is known for his colorfull post! :) < mr. bills head

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I just got these bolt cutters last week. I will take them with me on all fishing trips. A spray of Corrosion X each trip should keep them in good shape.

Nobody likes a hook in their hand. But it happens. This is how you do it if it is embedded deep into your finger, arm, leg, etc.

Attached Files:

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Now, if the hook isn't to deep, you can use another method. This can be a little painful to the guy with the hook in his body, but it does work. Tie a bimini or make a strong loop and place around the bend in the hook close to the place where it penetrated.

Push down on the eye of the hook to keep the barb down and pull hard and fast. Here's a video of a little hook that isn't very graphic that shows how to do it. YouTube - hook extraction

Now, if your fishing buddies are like mine, you might need a drink before and during the extraction using the loop pull out method.
    Google Image Result for http://www.ozemedicine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/gb060194a.jpg

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

If the hook isn't real deep then you don't need to cut it. Just form a loop in some line (30-50#). Place the loop around the bend of the hook and push down on the eye of the hook to keep the barb down. Below is a example of a very small hook using this method.
    YouTube - hook extraction

Now, if the hook is bigger and you fish with guys that drink. Then this might be your best option. I've seen this done a few times except we use Scotch instead of Makers Mark.
    YouTube - Fish hook removal technique

8. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Nice small size cutter. Ordered one just on your recommendation and after reading reviews. I've had to cut a hook out and push it through and cutting the hook first is fundamental.

Fred

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

These cutters are strong. I have to stop cutting up stuff. I've cut everything in house that is made of steel. My wife caught me cutting one of her everyday spoons and forks in half. :eek: :eek:

Here's a pic of an Owner Super Mutu and ST-66.
    No problem cutting these strong hooks.

Attached Files:

10. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Ouch! But I have seen this happen. Dumb bass Dorado. That Marauder hook when right through the deckies calf. We did not have cutters for that large of a hook so had to do it slow with a hook sharpening file. Those cheapie bolt cutters just won't do the job at all. Thanks for the tip.

11. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

12. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

These cutters are strong. I have to stop cutting up stuff. I've cut everything in house that is made of steel. My wife caught me cutting one of her everyday spoons and forks in half. :eek: :eek:

Here's a pic of an Owner Super Mutu and ST-66.
    No problem cutting these strong hooks.

Thanks MrBill. This is a good recommendation. I'm ordering one to add to the safety gear. PF

13. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I've been carrying one since my buddy got a Super Mutu 9/0 buried in his calf last year - it was ugly.

14. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Hook removing plan is important. Scalp, back and latley finger very close to Mr Bills photos.
    You can not do it your self ,if realy hooked!! You need to count on your fishing buddy . Wahoo teeth can cut big time also..:eek:
    So take care out there. Green fish on deck need their respect.

Thanks for the notes and info on the cutting tool.
    Cutting spoons and forks is great for testing .. I like that.
    My bride can bend a fork just by looking at it ...when the moon phase is right.......:eek:

Kev

15. Bret

Bret Senior Member

nice set of cutters there.. great imbedded hook pics too.. We have all been there.. Thats how I messed up my donmar pliers.. cutting the hooks off of a popper..

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I was digging around looking for some stuff this evening in the attic. WOW, it was 129 degrees up there. I was so wet, sweat was coming out of my eyes.
    Anyway, I found a hook removable kit while looking for some stuff. I don't know if it's still made today. I think I bought it about fifteen years ago.

Attached Files:

17. jig

jig Senior Member

Too funny. I found a snake bite kit the other day in a box in my garage. Not going to do us much good in storage.

18. jig

jig Senior Member

If you're interested, I just got a pair off ebay, used, for under $25. There are quite a few pairs being listed used over past few weeks, and should be able to get for under $25 (unless you start bidding against each other).

I didn't go crazy like Mr. Bill, but they cut a 14/0 mustade circle, which is good enough for me. I am amazed at how small they are.

Attached Files:

19. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

What brand are those? Do they look like they will hold up fairly well to the elements?

20. jig

jig Senior Member

Knipex, and no without some care. I plan to wipe 'em down with corrosion x.

21. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

They look the same as the ones Mr. Bill got. Well pretty much anyway. :)

Do you guys think they can cut a 12/0 Super Marlin hook?