Home baked - mission RED

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by saqa, Oct 3, 2009.

1. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

I have been trying to make a set of rods for myself and match them to this baby that I used to own previously. My fav ride to date. 5.7L of Chev V8, rear wheel drive. The two door version was at one stage sold in US as the Pontiac GTO

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am now running around in an AWD drive version of the same thing but alas its dull old grey but if I sell lots and lots of rods then I'll upgrade to latest model which now runs a 6L Chev :D

[​IMG]

My dreams are shattered, I cant find stocks of the bright red EVA that mudhole used to sell so will have to put that dream aside and hope I can score some of that EVA at a later stage make a set on OTI blanks

In the meantime I am on a new mission. This is the red cosmetics version of the Daiwa Dogfight released for Oz and I am in lust. New project is to build up a home cooked/modded GT Popping blank in matching colours. The other red EVA that has arrived looks to be a good match and I have the right colour threads. I will be glueing up the handle tonight and upload pics as the build goes on. Will be doing this in between orders so will take a some time

[​IMG]

Wish me luck!! Mrs doesnt understand this obbsesion with tackle and cars :confused: :rolleyes:

2. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I understand you passion and am awaiting your photos.

3. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Hi mate, pics will now come tomorrow. Sitting here in great pain atm. I went to get a bite earlier and was walking through the store and stepped on a grape on the floor. Needless to say it was a spectecular spill. Twisted my knee and shoulder, piling on the rum and stargate sg1 episodes atm. Its 5:30am here, almost time for bed

4. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Hi mate, pics will now come tomorrow. Sitting here in great pain atm. I went to get a bite earlier and was walking through the store and stepped on a grape on the floor. Needless to say it was a spectecular spill. Twisted my knee and shoulder, piling on the rum and stargate sg1 episodes atm. Its 5:30am here, almost time for bed

Grapes - nature's fruit assassains.

Anyway, you might try and color a blank of your choice. Some of the rod building sites can give you an idea on how to do it without affecting the action of the blank too much. Good luck.

Painting a blank

5. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Ban grapes!!

I was going to get my local smash repair to paint this blank I have here but now I will use its gloss black to match to the reel. The first Tuna Sniper that I get my hands on will get painted red hot. I usually use a paint available here for composites and plastic trims to do some blanks but these sticks will be spending a lot of time under the sun so a profesional job by the auto body shop will prolly better in the long run. I have some of the touchup paint that I bought when I had the red car, might use that somewhere on this rod, not sure in this atm

6. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Woke feeling even worse today. Shoulder is now ok but the left leg is killing me. Neurofen is doing the trick though so back to work.

I have not so funky red EVA and hypalon. just taking some measurements and pics. I am torn, not sure which way to go

7. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

I think I will go with the EVA to save some weight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Here is the complete handle. It turned out better then I expected. This red is starting to grow on me. Hope you like it

I went a lil too deep on the scallop just before the butt cap, oh well, its home baked!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. reggaeangler

reggaeangler Senior Member

that looks great man, i wish to try that soon but for now I am sticking with the !inch 3m safety walk tape. good job again

10. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

thanks mate

hmmm, reggaerangler eh, wait till you see the next stick I am doing for myself. Here is the decal that will be going on that :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. reggaeangler

bro you got me smiling man, cant wait to see that one, my friend thats teaching me how to build rods build one for a customer using cork and dubbed it rastaman vibration, it came out great i wish I had the picks. I was amazed bro so I cant wait for you to amaze me with the craftmanship. i made my first rod about a month ago and caught about 20 snooks on it which is what I fish for, but I was unhappy with the epoxy so I stripped it and will probably finish building it today. it is quite a pleasure and an addiction. I also make my own jiggs too. perhaps i will take some pics when I am done to show it to you. it wont be as good as yours, lol. but I will be loving it.

12. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

irie mon, will love to see pics of your work. Put em up mon. I wish I had the creativity to make lures

Rastaman vibration eh, wicked. Love it. Mind if I use that on UL I will be building soon for blades? I am not sure the local name in US for them but they are lickle vibration lures stamped out of metal

I might have to source some 'erb decals

13. reggaeangler

as a supporter of the movement, rasta is for everyone so feel free to use it. and I have several really nice cameras perhaps I need to put them to good use. let me see a pic of the herb decals when you get them, also how did you get your decal designed, i wanna get a decal designed but dont know who to turn to........ infact I love the one with the GT I am sure the herb one will be just as good............
    check out this website runned by a good friend of mines, www.custombucktails.com/[/URL
    I am on it and the jigs are of the ones I make not much different, was taught by the guy that runs the website. my pic is also on it, the only black/jamaican guy

14. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

I outlined the GT onto black plastic and cut that out. Then I placed that on white paper and scanned that. That gave me an all black GT profile. I imported that into corel draw and pulled out the outline and tuned it into a vector image. Next I imported that vector into photoshop and used a 3d filder to bevel and texture. Part of that image is in my avatar and the full image with all the layers is in my logo.

The electric decal article in rod maker mag in US is able to print the decal as is but its more difficult in a comercial printer to get real chrome color and include the shading. Thats why the decal only has outlines

Mudhole can do you some nice decals. Text only comes out great. They may be able to do you a graphic but I think they will slug you for the setup

I might print the 'erb decal on metalised polyester film for inkjets, that should look good but a better way to go will be getting a comercial sign writer to cut them from very skinny green vinyl. It will be more costly but will take out the headache of fading in the sun or lifting during epoxy application

15. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Nice jiggs mate, are you the fella in the white tee, nice fish

16. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

"I am now running around in an AWD drive version of the same thing but alas its dull old grey but if I sell lots and lots of rods then I'll upgrade to latest model which now runs a 6L Chev "

Even better get a Vette... they make them in bright red too! ;)

17. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

"I am now running around in an AWD drive version of the same thing but alas its dull old grey but if I sell lots and lots of rods then I'll upgrade to latest model which now runs a 6L Chev "

Even better get a Vette... they make them in bright red too! ;)

Would love too, same engine I hear. But can it tow?

18. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Would love too, same engine I hear. But can it tow?

very little... but you get there quick..

19. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Oh well, same engine in this red commodore not only tows like a bull but gets you there very fast indeed. For some reason though my friends with nicer boat then mine dont like me towing theirs [​IMG]

20. reggaeangler

I outlined the GT onto black plastic and cut that out. Then I placed that on white paper and scanned that. That gave me an all black GT profile. I imported that into corel draw and pulled out the outline and tuned it into a vector image. Next I imported that vector into photoshop and used a 3d filder to bevel and texture. Part of that image is in my avatar and the full image with all the layers is in my logo.

The electric decal article in rod maker mag in US is able to print the decal as is but its more difficult in a comercial printer to get real chrome color and include the shading. Thats why the decal only has outlines

Mudhole can do you some nice decals. Text only comes out great. They may be able to do you a graphic but I think they will slug you for the setup

I might print the 'erb decal on metalised polyester film for inkjets, that should look good but a better way to go will be getting a comercial sign writer to cut them from very skinny green vinyl. It will be more costly but will take out the headache of fading in the sun or lifting during epoxy application

wow seems like quite the head ache, lol. I have asked around and they charge so much for so little, for now i will try to get the tiger wrap down first before I can get more indept with it.