Home baked 3

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by saqa, Sep 26, 2009.

1. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

This one is built on a calstar GF700H. Here in in Australia there is a dedicated following for land based game fishing and this stick is to drift out live baits under floats to tempt black marlin, yellowtail kingfish, yellowfin and blufin tuna and such. Reels like the tiagras, internationals and similar are used. The marlin can range anywhere from 30 - 200kg. Hope you enjoy the pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/dakaurods/LHX/Busted/bus011.jpg
    http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/dakaurods/LHX/Busted/bus012.jpg
    http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/dakaurods/LHX/Busted/bus013.jpg

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

great looking rod... I like the finish work..

3. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I like that one the best, nice and simple, great lines.

Now, how 'bout that land based big game fishing.....when will the giant bluefin come play in our waves up here in NH and Maine?????? what an awesome fishery you have.

4. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Our bluefin are lil 20kg buggers, the northern blufin tuna or longtails we call em. But some nice marlin do get caught every season. I am currently do a lot of work with the Australian Land Based Anglers Association and some of the captures are amazing. Its a long time between bites though

5. red34

red34 Guest

That is a beautiful rod. Very clean lines and finish. I love the simplicity.

Why do you go with the ball gimbal? What purpose does it serve over the std gimbal?

One more time...beautiful rod!

6. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

The feed back that I am gettign back from the customers is very positive for the ball gimbal. They reckon its easier to hang on to a loaded rod while waiting for a fighting belt to be put on em at the start of the fight. And when one scores, they all want the same

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

That is a beautiful rod. Very clean lines and finish. I love the simplicity.

Why do you go with the ball gimbal? What purpose does it serve over the std gimbal?

One more time...beautiful rod!

Red34 the ball gimble allows you more movement once the rod is in the belt versus a standard gimble. It really helps when you are chasing a fish all around the boat.

d-a

8. Iman

Iman Senior Member

What are those guides? are they good for Braid?

And Verry Nice work. Which finish you used?

And again Verry Nice work

9. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Your rods are extremely nice, but I am more curious about the land based fishery. I know the water off Perth gets deep in a hurry and anglers catch sails, wahoo and dorado. I have to see some reports of other species and locations.

10. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I like that one the best, nice and simple, great lines.

Now, how 'bout that land based big game fishing.....when will the giant bluefin come play in our waves up here in NH and Maine?????? what an awesome fishery you have.

People have landed bluefin from the surf. I had an old saltwater sportsman with a photo (1940s) of a striper fisherman who landed a nice bft in Mass.

11. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Your rods are extremely nice, but I am more curious about the land based fishery. I know the water off Perth gets deep in a hurry and anglers catch sails, wahoo and dorado. I have to see some reports of other species and locations.

This pic is an example of the type of terrain for LBG, there are either tracks leading down to the ledges or anglers rope down. Smaller fish are carried out on the backs but the larger examples usually require a boat pickup. There are many ledges like this along the coast of New South Wales. Species targeted are black marlin, northern blufin tuna, yellowfin tuna, mackerel tuna, spanish mackerel, cobia and bonito. We have a peak body called Australian Land Based Anglers Association (ALBAA) as well as a national fishing body called ANSA. There are quite a few LBG caught fish in the records and may even be in the IGFA records, I havent looked them up in a while so not sure. ALBAA actually have a pretty neat website that I host and sponsor

[​IMG]

This fish was caught a couple of seasons back by one of my mates. There is a lot of waiting between bites though

[​IMG]

12. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

What are those guides? are they good for Braid?

And Verry Nice work. Which finish you used?

And again Verry Nice work

Hi mate, missed this question earlier. The guides are the Fuji HB frames from the concept range and just like pretty much any other ceramic rings are fine for braid. The frame shape is a big puls with briad though as its easy to shake out any tip wraps caused by lack of line tension and winds and all that

I use rodsmith finish

13. Iman

Iman Senior Member

saqa thank you verry much for your info hope to see more pics of your home made rods they are verry verry nice