360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Junior member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to replace a few topshots, so figured I'd pull on them and see what happened. All had about 3' of mono into the hollowcore.

Top pic is Powerpro hollowcore 80 with 60 Momoi diamond. Used pliobond on the serve. Don't laugh, this was one of my first leaders I made several years ago.
Momoi snapped right above the serve., and serve came apart. I wont use PP hollowcore after I made a few. REALLY tough to work with. And I dont like pliobond. It stains line it touches, and doesn't seem to hold very well.

Next pic is 80 JB hollow and 80 diamond. Serve fixed with ca glue. I almost broke a knuckle when this one let go. Serve got elongated on the mono portion, but that was probably well above 75 lbs. Maxed out my scale, and it took a lot of body weight before the mono snapped. Wear HEAVY gloves if you try this at home.

Bottom pic is also JB 80/80 diamond. I took it to about 45+ lbs on and off for 5 minutes. Nothing happened.

Just thought it was interesting that the serves came open a bit b/c of the mono stretching under it. Maybe you dont need to extend the serve onto the mono much at all?

My conclusion was at 25 lbs of drag, I dont think any of these would fail.

 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
I needed to replace a few topshots, so figured I'd pull on them and see what happened. All had about 3' of mono into the hollowcore.

Top pic is Powerpro hollowcore 80 with 60 Momoi diamond. Used pliobond on the serve. Don't laugh, this was one of my first leaders I made several years ago.
Momoi snapped right above the serve., and serve came apart. I wont use PP hollowcore after I made a few. REALLY tough to work with. And I dont like pliobond. It stains line it touches, and doesn't seem to hold very well.

Next pic is 80 JB hollow and 80 diamond. Serve fixed with ca glue. I almost broke a knuckle when this one let go. Serve got elongated on the mono portion, but that was probably well above 75 lbs. Maxed out my scale, and it took a lot of body weight before the mono snapped. Wear HEAVY gloves if you try this at home.

Bottom pic is also JB 80/80 diamond. I took it to about 45+ lbs on and off for 5 minutes. Nothing happened.

Just thought it was interesting that the serves came open a bit b/c of the mono stretching under it. Maybe you dont need to extend the serve onto the mono much at all?

My conclusion was at 25 lbs of drag, I dont think any of these would fail.

Great work. What you witnessed is the destructive force of differential-stretch. The mono stretching more than the braid. Here are some pics I took earlier in the year: http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/hollow-spectra-iii-commercial-windon-leaders-5187/

You're probably correct about 25 lbs. drag but you better be prepared for 50 lbs. drag if you start with 25.

The next thing is, will you be casting this? How will it stand up?

If you can guarantee that your serve will not come apart under repetitve differential loading and repetitive casting, you could try a shorter splice.

Quick story:
A guy calls and tells me that he's bait fishing for Marlin (I think) at 2,000 feet. Using some wind-ons they made and tested, they drop the bait to the bottom with a weight of a few pounds. The seas are short chop, 3-4 footers. When they reel their rigs back up, the mono, hook, bait and sinker are gone--victims of cycled loading and differential stretch.
 

·
Junior member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use these to troll NE canyons. I use a really long topshot (150-200 yds), as I don't really like spectra in the water except on a long initial run. Slicing through another line in the spread, and abrasion resistance is part of my rational. Given the option, I prefer to have the serve on the reel most of the time we're fighting a fish. One less connection to worry about. I'll also strip off 15 or 20 yds. of line if it gets abraded from a fight around the boat and can do this many times before the top shot has to be replaced. It also gets abraded from rigger clips, etc. I like having fresh line and new knots close to the fish.

All stand up, I set strike at 19, and rarely (esp. last 2 seasons), need to go above 22 or 23. Call me a sissy, I can't hold on to a pole at 25 lbs for more than a minute or two without sucking wind, and surely am not enjoying it.
I can't understand these crazy high drag settings I read so much about.
So for my use, it's more than adequate. That's why I used 45+ as my test number...double what I fish.

I guess if I was chasing giants and fighting 45 lbs from the gunnel, I'd have to re-evaluate my method. And I don't have enough experience using this connection casting/popping, etc., so can't comment on that.

For casting and jig I use a PR w/ Shout bobbin., and bench testing them resulted in breaks in the mono/fluor only, never the connection.

I wish I could say I've tested all of these connections on really big fish...I have not. Maybe next season ;)
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top