Hollow <vs> Non-Hollow?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Bill Fisher, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

last o'my silly questions...... (for the time-being ;))

i'll be spooling a conventional and a spinner preferably from one 1200yd spool o'spectra for jigging.........

would one be better than the other to help avoid line digging into itself under pressure?

and there's a popping rod-n-reel on the horizon so please offer your 'hollow <vs> non-hollow' recommendations for it .......... thanks-in-advace (the popping rod's already on it's way)

:confused: i'm so confused..... (this venturing into the dark-side o'things is taking it's toll on what little gray-matter i got left)

2. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Depends on the type of line (company). Jerry Brown, in my opinion, is the best available. What size reels and what strength of line are you thinking?

I use Jerry Brown 60lb Hollow (rates much higher in testing) on both my conventionals and spinners.....even my casting rods. I bought a HUGE spool of it and put it on everything. You can splice it too, and use wind ons, so to me, it's a win-win.

One other cool aspect is that it is white, so if you want to meter it, you can just draw on a section with a magic marker every however many feet you like. I just made a red section every 25 ft.

3. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Bill,

As Hampton suggested, JB Hollow is very nice. I use it on my popping setups. I don't think though that there is any advantage between solid or hollow braid as to which one has less tendancy to "dig into itself" under a load. The important thing whether you choose solid or hollow is to spool your reel under the correct tension. (about 8 to 10 lbs.) That should keep you from having problems with it "digging in".

4. hamptonsurf

I'll check, but I think there was an explanation of this on BHP's website.

5. SteelingHeads

I'll check, but I think there was an explanation of this on BHP's website.

Hampton,

Pametfisher may have posted something similar here as well.

6. Bill Fisher

told'ya i've just about gone dain bread over this sh!t....... fergot-all-about getting white line and marking it

anyway,........... JB Hollow it is

that'll give me options........ at least it wont be sumpin i'd ever throw away if i don't like what i come up with on these rigs

if i wanted to dye or darken the first 25' of line with a marker going to my leader, whudda ya think?........ red, blue, black, green???

thanx all

7. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I marking (with a Sharpie) some 200lb JB Hollow core for a Planer rod application.

I could have tried to let it dry more before spooling, but it spread/bled to other parts of the line. It seemed to do it more after getting it wet.

Not a big deal really, but just so you know.

8. Bill Fisher

I could have tried to let it dry more before spooling, but it spread/bled to other parts of the line. It seemed to do it more after getting it wet.

thot about that..... hopefully i can mark it/let it dry/wet it/wipe it/let it dry again and get some distinct marks w/o too much bleeding

anyone ever try spray paint?....... i repainted a toad once (no, not 'froggy' but a fender teaser :rolleyes:) and a some overspray has stayed on the 400# mono for years

9. Bill Fisher

now i remember this conversation with someone several years ago!......

they used some wraps o'floss or smaller spectra strands of different color and glue (or maybe even sewed it into the weave with a needle) every 25' and could feel it in the dark

i like that idea even better..... not a big fan of white line

10. hamptonsurf

There was a “pro’s hint” or whatever you want to call it in a very recent edition of Saltwater Sportsman, I think. One of those magazines. You can use a needle to push a small length of whatever kind of line you want (small diameter obviously best) through the middle of the line and just tie a quick overhand knot. Trim the edges close and you end up with just the very small knot, with no damage to the line. Seems like waste of time to me, but whatever works for you. Like I said, I colored about a 5 inch section of the line every 25 ft and watch it as it goes. I used red and it did bleed a little. I don’t care, but you might.

If you use black, and it bleeds, you’ll end up with a bit of a grayish line that might make you feel better about the color. The stuff is very worth it.

By the way, doesn;t Chark Bait have JB Hollow in colored line? or is it just solid.

11. Bill Fisher

By the way, doesn;t Chark Bait have JB Hollow in colored line? or is it just solid.

dunno about charkbait but they're too high anyway....... i see where it's available in White, Green, Hi-vis Yellow, and Blue from All-American Outdoors

they have the best pricing i've found.......

All-American Outdoors - Jerry Brown

12. hamptonsurf

From BHP's site....the whole site is worth a read.

Digging Down into Spectra®: What causes it to happen?

Many are puzzled why Spectra® seems to dig into the spool more often than mono. One factor may be the effect of drag forces on small Spectra® versus that on larger mono of the same breaking strength. Recall that pressure = force/area. The projected area of the Spectra® is much less than that of the mono, so you can see that the pressure, in pounds per square inch on the Spectra® is many times that on the mono at equal drag (force) settings. To resist this higher pressure, it is not surprising that we need a more tightly packed spool of Spectra®.

Another factor worth considering is the physical space between adjacent wraps of small diameter line compared to that of adjacent wraps of larger diameter line but the same breaking strength. In order to slip line between two adjacent wraps of line, they must be at least one diameter apart. Since Spectra® is 1/3 the diameter of equivalent mono, this spacing must be very close indeed or else there will be room for it to slip in between and bind. Spacing on the larger line can be larger before problems occur.

There may be more differences, but these are important ones we can do something about.

13. SteelingHeads

There was a “pro’s hint” or whatever you want to call it in a very recent edition of Saltwater Sportsman, I think. One of those magazines. You can use a needle to push a small length of whatever kind of line you want (small diameter obviously best) through the middle of the line and just tie a quick overhand knot. Trim the edges close and you end up with just the very small knot, with no damage to the line. Seems like waste of time to me, but whatever works for you. Like I said, I colored about a 5 inch section of the line every 25 ft and watch it as it goes. I used red and it did bleed a little. I don’t care, but you might.

If you use black, and it bleeds, you’ll end up with a bit of a grayish line that might make you feel better about the color. The stuff is very worth it.

Hampton,

I have gotten colored JB Hollow through James Tackle. I believe he has all the JB colors in stock.

14. Bill Fisher

forgot to mention that bass pro now has 2400yd spools of colored, depth indicating, Tuf-line XP...... only place i've seen it so far

Tuf-Line XP Indicator Braid

15. hamptonsurf

good luck!!

P.S.: what color did you choose/ any particular reason?

16. Bill Fisher

good luck!!

P.S.: what color did you choose/ any particular reason?

chose white, ordered it, e-mailed'em back and asked 'em to change it to blue (cuz it's purdy)........ i had forgotten all about small knots or wraps to mark depth and seeing how most all my jigging'll be done at night.........................................

haven't heard back from'em on my order change yet

oh well......... at this point i don't care if comes in looking tiddy pink! :eek:

i've had it!........ too damned many options out there and i fried my brain this morning on the golf course only to come home and saute what was left of'em in the stock market

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

18. hamptonsurf

sounds like a tough life.....enjoy it.

19. Bill Fisher

FYI: All American Outdoor disappears after payment - SurfTalk

wonderful...... just fuggin' wonderful :cool:

well, i'll give'em 'til the end o'this month to sh!t-r-get-off-the-pot..... i can live with a drop-ship and the 10-days to 2 weeks it might take

i've got their supposed address...... plus a friend vouched for "David Pruitt" by name back when you could still get'im on the phone

what-the-hell........ it's just one spool o'string that i prolly won't even need this year

at least i found my reels at better pricing than he had and they're already on the way....... along with rods from another place

20. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

chose white, ordered it, e-mailed'em back and asked 'em to change it to blue

You should have kept the white. When they add the waxy color, it changes the feel of it. I have made a bunch of wind-ons with the white. I just color it black with a sharpie.