Hollow to Solid Braid Connection

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Sea Bear, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I'm looking to add 100 yards of 80# marked jigging line to Jerry Brown 80# hollow backing on my BX2-600 but am not sure the best connection option. I already have a spliced end loop on the Jerry Brown courtesy of Basil at BHP and wondering what might be the best option besides attempting a bimini twist loop and making a loop-to-loop (can't really tie a bimini that I can trust :eek: ). Thanks in advance.

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Uni to Uni knot.
    The knot give pretty low profile and is strong enough.

3. etan

etan Senior Member

You can put a 3 to 7 turn surgeon loop in the solid and then go loop to loop. Pametfish has tested the 3 turn surgeons loop and says it will hold. I've only used the 7 turn.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I use 6 - 7 turn surgeon loop to make a loop in a hurry, but it is too bulky for normal use.

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I'm looking to add 100 yards of 80# marked jigging line to Jerry Brown 80# hollow backing on my BX2-600 but am not sure the best connection option. I already have a spliced end loop on the Jerry Brown courtesy of Basil at BHP and wondering what might be the best option besides attempting a bimini twist loop and making a loop-to-loop (can't really tie a bimini that I can trust :eek: ). Thanks in advance.

If you tie a knot other than the Bimini, you will lose 40% of the strength of your line, is that what you want?

This is the strongest way to do it: http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/glueless-solid-hollow-spectra-splice-full-strength-4389/

As you mentioned, a Bimini would be good. Maybe a friend could tie one on the metered line for you.

Even better, since you already have hollow line:

--cut some 18" pieces of hollow line that are a different color from your main line.

--slide the middle 6" of those pieces down the mainline

--splice the two 6" tags into your mainline so they are buried.

You now have metered hollow line. I've done this on my jigging reel and it works great. Took about a half hour.