Hollow Spectra Part I--100% Strong, Glueless Knots

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, May 6, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Having decided to switch 4 BFT spinning reels over to hollow Spectra fishing line, I'm going to post three notes on some things I've learned from other fishermen, suppliers of line and some of my own ideas. Before I get to the two notes with most of the detail, I thought I would offer a couple of techniques for those who prefer tying knots.

Most knots in Spectra line (Mono or Fluoro too) fail for one of two reasons: insufficient number of turns and the knot slips apart; the radius of the sharpest turn in the knot cause the line to fracture under pressure. The first problem can usually be fixed by finding the right number of turns for the knot. The second problem is a basic mechanics problem that really can't be solved although the Bimini Twist, Mid Knot, P.R. Knot and Slim Beauty do a pretty good job of keeping the critical turn shallow (okay, Loctite 406 will sometimes penetrate a Spectra knot and strengthen it if the line is dry). As a result, most knots fail at 60-75% of the line's Actual Breaking Strength.

If you select hollow Spectra, and decide you want to tie knots because that what's best for you and how you fish, rather than using splicing techniques, there are at least three ways to make knots that are 100% strong, as in 100% of the line's actual breaking strength. The beauty of the following techniques is that you only have to prepare the line once and you can tie any knot you want after the initial preparation and the knot will be as strong as or stronger than the line. (References below.)

Technique 1: Make an end-loop splice in the hollow Spectra with the first insertion 4' long and the tag insertion 1' long. When you make the loop portion, reduce it to an inch or less, then splice the tag into the main line for a foot. Once done, you can tie knots in the 4' section that will be 100% strong since the line is doubled. (Cut off the loop if you like.)

Technique 2: Take a 5' piece of Hollow Spectra of the same rating as your line. Push a splicing wire four feet into the 5' piece, then pull the main line through the four foot section. Take the 1' tag, which should be four feet from the doubled end of the line, and insert it inside the Main hollow Spectra line. You can tie knots in the 4' section that will be 100% strong since the line is doubled.

Technique 3: Line to Line splice a 6' piece of hollow Spectra that is 30-40% stronger than the Main spectra line to the end of that Main line (e.g. add a piece of 80# hollow to the end of your 60# hollow, etc.). If you add line with 40% more strength, then tie knots (that reduce the strength to 70%) you will end up with knots that are 100% compared to your main line.

You can use these techniques at the spool end of the line, the tackled end of the line or any other place you would use knots. As an example, a Uni Knot that was breaking at 72 pounds in normal use, breaks at 110 pounds after back-splicing with one of these methods. Photo Below

References:

BHP Tackle See the Spliced End Loop and Spliced Line Connection

Blackwater International See the Hollow Braid End Loop and Hollow Braid Splice

© Pametfisher

Attached Files:

2. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Hollow spectra twists up on spinning reels. i would only spool one up and see how you like it first....

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Hollow spectra twists up on spinning reels. i would only spool one up and see how you like it first....

All four are finished, cast extensively, no twisting. I had heard the twisting comments before so I spent a lot of time looking at the issue. Here's how I see it now.

Spooling Spectra

The big realization for me was that having fish pull line off a spinning reel against the drag and reeling it back on adds significant twisting to any line.

4. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Good info thanks Pametfisher.