360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you're thinking of using hollow core and splicing and haven't yet, and just for comparison I took some yellow and also some white 80# JB Hollow that I tested to 105 lbs. (didn't break and I stopped). Then tied some knots and splices shown in the photo.

From top to bottom:

7-turn Surgeon's: 72 lbs. break
Uni to Uni: 72 lbs. break
Line to Line splice: 105 lbs.
End Loop splice: 105 lbs.

Attachments

·
5,457 Posts
Nice work ! For a quick knot the surgeons is pretty darn good. BTW, how do you measure so much pull? Do you have a 150lb drag scale?

I have a 300lb scale for weighting deer on a jig I made that i use for my testing of knots and main line

d-a

·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work ! For a quick knot the surgeons is pretty darn good. BTW, how do you measure so much pull? Do you have a 150lb drag scale?

I have a two inch diameter line holder for the top end (made from a piece of 2" PVC pipe and duct tape). That I wrap the line around ten times. If I have a spliced end loop to hold at each end, I use a 1" wooden dowel for the top end.

For the weights, I have an old 110 lb. barbel set that I can increase in 2.5 lb. increments. I start at a weight and inch up. It's a slow method but very accurate since the dead weight has no stiction (start up friction). Depending on what I'm testing, I have different loops to attach to the 1" rod on the barbells.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts