Hollow core knots and splices

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Mar 21, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

In case you're thinking of using hollow core and splicing and haven't yet, and just for comparison I took some yellow and also some white 80# JB Hollow that I tested to 105 lbs. (didn't break and I stopped). Then tied some knots and splices shown in the photo.

From top to bottom:

7-turn Surgeon's: 72 lbs. break
    Uni to Uni: 72 lbs. break
    Line to Line splice: 105 lbs.
    End Loop splice: 105 lbs.

Attached Files:

2. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Nice work ! For a quick knot the surgeons is pretty darn good. BTW, how do you measure so much pull? Do you have a 150lb drag scale?

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Nice work ! For a quick knot the surgeons is pretty darn good. BTW, how do you measure so much pull? Do you have a 150lb drag scale?

I have a 300lb scale for weighting deer on a jig I made that i use for my testing of knots and main line

d-a

4. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I have a two inch diameter line holder for the top end (made from a piece of 2" PVC pipe and duct tape). That I wrap the line around ten times. If I have a spliced end loop to hold at each end, I use a 1" wooden dowel for the top end.

For the weights, I have an old 110 lb. barbel set that I can increase in 2.5 lb. increments. I start at a weight and inch up. It's a slow method but very accurate since the dead weight has no stiction (start up friction). Depending on what I'm testing, I have different loops to attach to the 1" rod on the barbells.