High Plains Oct 29 Duck Hunt

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Ross, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Ross

Ross Member

With the High Plains Mallard Management Unit (panhandle of texas) opening a week earlier than the rest of the state, I couldn't help myself.

3 of my buddies were already out there and shot limits Saturday. So, I headed on out with 2 of my other hunting buds.

Sunday morning we followed my buddy to our hole that he found for us. We liked the set up and proceeded to toss out the dekes. Now we waited for Legal Shooting Time. Once LST rolled around we were greeted by a single Mallard. He made the fatal mistake of dropping in on my side.:D

The next 9 birds that came in followed the same path and all 3 of us got in on the action. 10 birds in the hole and 10 birds on the strap! We were batting 1.000! After that the birds slowed to a trickle and we ended up killing 3 more.

Total for the day: 2 Mallards and 11 Wigeon. Total for the weekend between of us: 43 birds including Mallards, Grey ducks, teal, pintail, redhead, spoonies, and wigeon.

Attached Files:

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I have had ducks on the brain every since we talked. Man I can't wait to get into em again. WAY TO START OFF THE SEASON!

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Very nice Report Ross. Thanks for posting.. We havent seen that many ducks on our place yet..

Welcome to the hunting board.. feel free to post up whenever you can.

4. Ross

Ross Member

Very nice Report Ross. Thanks for posting.. We havent seen that many ducks on our place yet..

Welcome to the hunting board.. feel free to post up whenever you can.

Bret, I probably will post just about every Monday between now and the end of January!:D

Ya'll might get sick of me!:eek:

5. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Those wigeon sure have some nice plumage for this early in the year. I don't have a wigeon on my wall yet. I have two redheads (male and female), a green-winged teal, and a canvasback duck mounted. I had a nice bufflehead duck mounted that my cat tore to shreds...(I have cats). I need to do some duck hunting this winter!!

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Bret, I probably will post just about every Monday between now and the end of January!:D

Ya'll might get sick of me!:eek:

Bring 'em on!!! look forward to reading your reports.

7. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Nice quackers Ross. I can almost taste grilled duck...

8. Ross

Ross Member

Those wigeon sure have some nice plumage for this early in the year. I don't have a wigeon on my wall yet. I have two redheads (male and female), a green-winged teal, and a canvasback duck mounted. I had a nice bufflehead duck mounted that my cat tore to shreds...(I have cats). I need to do some duck hunting this winter!!

I was fairly surprised that the wigeon were plumed that nicely as well.