High end reels on Ebay

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by TS18997, Oct 28, 2009.

1. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Other than being duped by someone on Ebay, what other gotchas do I need to be concerned about? I'm talking about items described as NIB, not used. Will manufacuturers warranties be upheld? I see new Stella 20K's going for $810 which sounds like a nice price. Need to know what the downsides are.

2. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I've bought 2 stellas from ReelsSeller on ebay and there's no catch. They were new in the box.

I have noticed that some reels are listed for lower prices than others by the same seller. The only thing I can come up with as to why they do this is maybe it was a display reel in their shop, I dunno???

3. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

I bought new 20000sw for $750.00 from reelseller on ebay, he will put a few on special every now and then.
    I have bought four reels from him at very good prices with no problems.

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

The only catch is most companies will not honor the warranties when purchased on ebay.

5. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

The only catch is most companies will not honor the warranties when purchased on ebay.

That's what I most fear when buying something of this value on Ebay.

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

It's not like you have to tell the manufacturers where you bought that reel from... ;)

To my knowledge, there is no serial number required when you send in the warranty card on your Shimano Stellas, so just tell them you bought it from Bass Pro or something if they ask. As for the Daiwas, there *may* be serial numbers etched inside the reel parts on their super high end offerings such as the Saltiga SA-Z and DogFight reels, I am not sure on this one. In any case, I think you will be just fine with the warranty.

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

My theory is if you have to lie it isn't worth it.

8. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

There is no stipulation about where you buy it. Companies like shimano and daiwa will stand behind their products esp high end ones like the saltiga and stella and repair it for you.

9. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Ive bought 4 reels from Reelseller too... no issues

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The will warranty them as long as there purchased from an authorized retailer.

d-a

11. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Speaking strickly on high end reels. Ive sent my reels to shimano and daiwa, a few stellas and a few saltiga conventionals. Not once was I asked where did I purchase the reel. I called told them I was mailing a reel in, they asked me to fill out a PDF form or include a note of what was wrong, and I mailed it in with a check for shipping costs.

As long as its a genuine product you could've bought it at the 99cent store, they will repair under warranty

12. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

There is no stipulation about where you buy it. Companies like shimano and daiwa will stand behind their products esp high end ones like the saltiga and stella and repair it for you.

You are incorrect. There was a post on Florida Sportsman and the Shimano Rep on that site clearly said if it is purchased on ebay then it is not covered. Don't take my word for it contact Dan [email protected] shimano.com

13. Grifft

Grifft Senior Member

Spiny's right. For warranty repairs, Shimano will ask that you include a copy of your purchase reciept when you send the reel in to them. Now do they do enforce that all the time -- No.

I have a friend who purchased a Stella 4000FA from Cableas' and the finish was wearing off due to sunblock. He did not keep the reciept. Shimano took care of him. But that was a "known" problem and at the end of the FA series Stellas, so Shimano took care of him. My buddy's more careful now about applying sunblock :D !

I know of no tackle companies that will warranty items bought off eBay.

Tom

14. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

I have sent reels in to Shimano and Avet for both out of warranty and in warranty repairs and I was never asked about where I purchased my reels. A few time's Avet has gone above and beyond and repaired my reel and didn't charge me a penny even though it was out of warranty.

15. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

This was a little while back but not only will they honor the warranty but I have sent in my JDM SW8000HG in for service here in the U.S. and got it back within one week because with the new SW line comes the VIP service. They actually sent it to Japan, had the problem resolved and back in my hands all within a week. And yes, I bought it from eBay. Shimano has one of the best if not the best customer service I've ever dealt with. Daiwa on the other hand, I tried calling and emails regarding a service for my Dogfight and it's been 3 months and I have not gotten a single reply. That, however, is for another thread.

16. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

I got a reply back from Reelseller and his honest answer was that Shimano requires you to pay MSRP to officially have the warranty. I suspect, as many have stated, that they do not strictly enforce that. They probably have to state that for the retail dealers protection. Appreciate all the replies here.

17. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

What's his Ebay name?

I'd like to see his Ebay history.

18. SAND

SAND Member

My experience with shimano, I bought a used reel from ebay, after few seasons one day the reel was broken and I brought it to shimano office in Irvine for repair, but after 2 week they cant have the parts they need to fix the reel and they simply gave me a new one :) :)

My point is they stand behind their product doesn't matter where you buy it.

19. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

20. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Wow, with feedback like that he's probably as safe a bet as you can find. Over 11,000 transactions, no negatives. You'd think he'd piss someone off.