Hi, Im new to popping.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Iman, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Iman

Iman Senior Member

Hi Im new to popping. I live in malta and I was trying to find out if pooping in malta works. ( I fish in the mediteranian sea) Now adays some BFT of 40kg+ are getting hooked up when we are trolling for Long fin tuna. My problem is since Im new for the BFT I dont Know which are the best seasons to find the BFT in the mediteranian sea and another problem is that when we catch BFT they are found in 300-600 m of depth so I dont know if the BFT is attracted by the popper from that depth. can any one explain me some basics for popping ex the movment I should do so the popper makes the best action and which poppers or lures should I Buy for BFT and which is the habitat of the BFT .

Sorry if I ask to much but I realy want to catch tuna ITs MY DREAM!!!!:D

2. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

I live in malta and I was trying to find out if pooping in malta works.

Jeeze I hope so bud, if not I guess everybody would be exploding. :D

3. Iman

Iman Senior Member

the problem is that in Malta I never saw any one popping xD

4. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If you don't see tuna action on surface, you'd better use jigs instead of poppers.
    Cape Cod areas are unique that baits(sand eel) usually stay on surface and tuna feed on them.

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Welcome aboard Iman

7. Milton

Milton Senior Member

well, u see tuna on top water then throw a popper to it. That is what I did in North Carolina, got myself a 130# bigeye and no one brought a popping rod except me. I also agree with Kilsong, you better jig with tuna in that deepth.

By the way, I like to use swimmers, sinking works better.

8. Iman

Iman Senior Member

Thank you for the welcoming.
    Yes in this month we saw lots of tunas jumping out of the water to catch some bait fish. I think i should catch one if I throw the pooper just infront of them. About the Long Fin Tuna (albacore) is it catchable with the popper becouse when we catch with trolling I see LFT jumping Out of water.

About my tackle I have a stella 8000fa with 50lb power pro in it. If I catch a tuna do I have the chance to get it up r the tuna will take all my braid of the spool??

9. txcards

txcards Senior Member

Thank you for the welcoming.
    Yes in this month we saw lots of tunas jumping out of the water to catch some bait fish. I think i should catch one if I throw the pooper just infront of them. About the Long Fin Tuna (albacore) is it catchable with the popper becouse when we catch with trolling I see LFT jumping Out of water.

About my tackle I have a stella 8000fa with 50lb power pro in it. If I catch a tuna do I have the chance to get it up r the tuna will take all my braid of the spool??

Tighten down your drag if your rod can handle it and you can handle fish up to 50 kg with the stella 8000 fa

10. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

Tighten down your drag if your rod can handle it and you can handle fish up to 50 kg with the stella 8000 fa

Just got spooled by a cow YFT a couple days ago using PE4 ( 64 lbs. ) line , the 200+m disappeared within a few seconds from the spool of Stella 6000FA , next time I am going back to use my old trusty Stella 16000F with line capacity of 400m of PE5 line .

Jon .

11. Iman

Iman Senior Member

Guys do you have some pics for me so I can make a home made popper and can you tell me which tools I need.