Hi from Martinique

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by OliveOil, Nov 14, 2008.

1. OliveOil

OliveOil Member

Hi everyone,

I am from Martinique in the French Caribbean.
    I started vertical jigging a few months ago with some friends, and so far I've caught different sorts of trevally
    (big eye, black, yellow), YFT, kingfish, spotted mackerel, and barracuda.
    The problem here is that we get cut off a lot by kings and cudas. :mad:
    I'm still waiting to catch the Big One (YFT or AJ ?) :D

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Welcome to 360Tuna!
    Try using about 6 inches of wire between the jig and your line. That usually prevents the bite offs when the cudas are around.
    Though sometimes, on slow days, it can prevent bites altogether...

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

4. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

5. OliveOil

OliveOil Member

Welcome to 360Tuna!
    Try using about 6 inches of wire between the jig and your line. That usually prevents the bite offs when the cudas are around.
    Though sometimes, on slow days, it can prevent bites altogether...
    we tried that but no more bites (except cudas) so we gave it up !

6. Pope

Pope Senior Member

The species of "trevally" you spoke of are know as jacks here on the Atlantic side of the world. Trevally are jacks found in the Pacific and Indian Oceans. That said, welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing some reports from the Caribbean! I hope you get that big yft and aj!

7. Pope

Pope Senior Member

After writing this I decided to go back and look into the whole trevally and jack genetic relationship. It appears I am off the mark. Biologist have merged the generas. The genera is now considered worldwide. I am sorry if this hijacks the thread at all. Here is the literature.

The genus Caranx is one of thirty currently recognised genera of fish in the jack and horse mackerel family Carangidae, which are Perciform fishes in the suborder Percoidei.The species has long been planed in the subfamily Caranginae (or tribe Carangini), with modern molecular and genetic studies indicating this subdivision is acceptable, and that Caranx is well defined as a genus. Phylogenetically, it has been shown that the monotypic genus of Gnathanodon is most closely related to Caranx; and indeed its sole member was once classified under Caranx.

Caranx was created by the French naturalist Bernard Germain de Lacépède in 1801 to accommodate a new species he had described; Caranx carangua (the crevalle jack), which was later found to be a junior synonym of Scomber hippos, which in turn was transferred to Caranx. The early days of carangid taxonomy saw over 100 'species' designated as members of the genus, most of which were synonyms, and a number of genera were created which were later synonymised with Caranx. Caranx took authority over these other genera names due to its prior description, rendering the rest as invalid junior synonyms. Today, after extensive reviews of the family, 18 species are considered valid by major taxonomic authorities Fishbase and ITIS, although there are many other species unable to be properly validated due to poor descriptions. The fish in the genus are commonly referred to as jacks, trevallies or kingfishes. Like the genus Carangoides, the word Caranx is derived from the French carangue, used for some fishes of the Caribbean.

8. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Welcome Oiliveoil! Let us know when you get things figured out over there and we'll all come and visit! :) Martinique is beautiful!

9. OliveOil

OliveOil Member

Thanks guys for your warm welcome ! :)
    Pope thanks for your research, it's always interesting to read data about fish !
    Cudakilla I like your avatar; is that a Dogo Argentino ?

10. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Thanks guys for your warm welcome ! :)
    Pope thanks for your research, it's always interesting to read data about fish !
    Cudakilla I like your avatar; is that a Dogo Argentino ?

Yes! You're good. :) They are not very common and most people think it's a pit bull.

11. OliveOil

OliveOil Member

great watch dogs !
    are they kids friendly ?

12. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Very much so. It almost seems like the smaller the kid is the more gentle they are with them.

13. OliveOil

OliveOil Member

Very much so. It almost seems like the smaller the kid is the more gentle they are with them.
    I wanted to get one, but my wife is afraid of big dogs because of the kids, so we have a labrador instead !
    she is the worst watchdog in the world, she let thieves brake in twice, but she loves the kids and they love her... LOL :)