360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

hey me choose a popping rod

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  my03 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm after a rod thats 8ft6-9ft for throwing poppers and stickbaits in the 40-90 gram range, it will be matched to a stella 8000 fa spooled with pe4.

I will be targeting tuna landbased but was just wondering what options there are in the lower price range.

At the moment i can only see 2 options

- shimano kabutsu pencil instrument 8ft 4 (pe4-6)
- OTI tuna sniper 8ft6 (pe4-6)

I dont mind a longer rod as i'll be mostly landbased, but 9ft6 is the max i'd go, are there any alternatives in this price range? any possible blanks as well? I wont be targeting any giant fish, probably in the 10-40kg range. The ability to cast a mile is important so i want a rod that loads up well but still has enough backbone to fish decent fish.

Thanks

#4 ·
thanks for the replies guys, i love the black devil, but it's out of my price range unfortunatley, was after something in the 3-400 usd mark.

it sounds good fred but targeting marlin and tuna off the rocks is a very low reward form of fishing, you really need the right water and conditions to bring the fish in close, but once you get your marlin and yellow fin you join that exclusive club...and it's not always about the fish, camping on the rocks, the friends you meet along the way, the exclusivity of saying you've landed these fish land based and the challenge is what keeps us coming back.

Thanks

#8 ·
thanks for the replies guys, regarding the tuna sniper 4-6, is it a softer tip that will launch lures 60-100 grams? whats the action on the rod like?

cheers
I tested 3.5 oz (98 gram) custom pencil popper with 8'3" OTI custom 40 - 60 when I fished Cape Cod with Pametfisher on his boat yesterday.
Even my rod's tip is stiffer than normal Tuna Sniper 40 -60, I could cast very far, probably over 100 yards. In fact, I could cast farther with the pencil popper at least 20 - 30 yards farther than any other lures I had.
I used Accurate SR20 filled with 50 lbs Varivas Avani.

If long distance is required, why don't use quality surf rods ?
I landed a 80 -90 lbs yft with 9' surf rod.

#9 ·
my new favorite rod is the carpenter OMA-92, perfect rod, casts small lures a mile and has great backbone. I paired it with an 8000FA as well and it was a light sweet set up you can cast all day. I've caught cuberas, bluefin trevallys, horse eye jacks, jack crevalles on it with no issues. Ive hooked into and fought a few yellow fin tuna on it as well, and it had no problem handling it.

#10 ·
my new favorite rod is the carpenter OMA-92, perfect rod, casts small lures a mile and has great backbone. I paired it with an 8000FA as well and it was a light sweet set up you can cast all day. I've caught cuberas, bluefin trevallys, horse eye jacks, jack crevalles on it with no issues. Ive hooked into and fought a few yellow fin tuna on it as well, and it had no problem handling it.
You have a jewel of light tuna popping rod and you are extremely lucky to have it.

#11 ·
thanks guys.

ive been dreaming of the oma-92 for ages! it's way out of my price range though i was hoping there's be something that served a similar purpose at a more affordable price? i know is this world you get what you pay for though. are there any blanks that have a similar action? what about something like calstal 900h or hastings?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.