Help with these braids!!

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by anglerinshore, Mar 2, 2009.

1. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

I am trying to get some opinions on different braids and have a couple questions on them as well. I am in the process of re-spooling most of my rigs and will be using different braids for different purposes, but wanted some opinions on what you think about each. Cost is a big issue for me since i am spooling multiple rigs and i'm trying to figure out what line i should use for what rig. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.These are my questions on each:

1. Diawa Boat braid - Can you get the 70lb. in the 300m lenght? I can only find it in the 1800m spool. Also has anyone used the Samurai braid?

2. suffix - How many braid weave is it? How would you rate it agains Tuf Line XP?

3. Tuf Line - How many braid weave is it?

4. OTI - Does the 60lb. test higher than 60 or is it pretty accurate?

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

1. No, only 1800m spool, but their Samurai line's 70lb can be had in 300yd spool.
    2. 6 weave braid, I've never used Tufline XP, but I like the Sufix yellow/green that I have used. PE line is still much much better though.
    4. TJ tested the break over 70lbs.

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

It would help if you list what reels you are going to re-spool?

4. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

It would help if you list what reels you are going to re-spool?
    Lordhell, Here are a few rigs i'm respooling. Most have PP on them now, but want to go with other brands.

accurate 870 that has 80lb. PP on it now on an OTI 600gm that i use for bottom fishing and jigging.

Stella 8000swpg that is used for jigging on a Blue Rose 537R (most fish are between 30-60lbs, but have potential for larger ones, but less than 100lbs.)

Trinidad 40 on a trevala xxh used for jigging. I have 65lb. PP on it now.

Penn 8500 on Ugly stick rod used to throw sling jigs and poppers. Mostly small blackfin tuna/Mahi

Penn 6500 on Ugly stick rod used for same as above

Torium 20 on Trevala xh used for smaller snapper/AJ's/Grouper. (Thinking of maybe 30-40lb line on it.)

5. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Mainly fish between 200-400ft. of water.

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You can spool the majority of those reels with 70lb daiwa boat braid (PE-5) line, except the Torium 20, you might wanna get some cheap 40lb sufix for that. Get the 1800m daiwa spool and you can use it for all these reel IMO.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Lordhell, Here are a few rigs i'm respooling. Most have PP on them now, but want to go with other brands.

accurate 870 that has 80lb. PP on it now on an OTI 600gm that i use for bottom fishing and jigging.
    80lb OTI depth finder or 80lb Diawia boat braid

Stella 8000swpg that is used for jigging on a Blue Rose 537R (most fish are between 30-60lbs, but have potential for larger ones, but less than 100lbs.)
    60lb OTI depth finder or 55lb Diawia boat braid

Trinidad 40 on a trevala xxh used for jigging. I have 65lb. PP on it now.
    80lb OTI depth finder or 80lb Diawia boat braid

Penn 8500 on Ugly stick rod used to throw sling jigs and poppers. Mostly small blackfin tuna/Mahi
    OTI 80lb or tuffline XP 80lb

Penn 6500 on Ugly stick rod used for same as above
    60lb OTI depth finder or tuffline XP 65lb

Torium 20 on Trevala xh used for smaller snapper/AJ's/Grouper. (Thinking of maybe 30-40lb line on it.)
    tuffline xp 50lb or diawia samuri 40lb

d-a

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

id agree with doug - though im putting 120lb OTI on the trinidad 40. just depends on what drag you use with it. 80 is fine too.

9. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

id agree with doug - though im putting 120lb OTI on the trinidad 40. just depends on what drag you use with it. 80 is fine too.

Since i have it on the trevalla right now i'll probably use the 80lb., but i'm going to move it to the OTI once the 400gm silver trim model OTI's become available. That rod with the accurate will be a sweet setup.

Thanks for all the input guys. It helps coming from people with experience.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i'd totally agree based on the rod you've got it on

11. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I am going to do the same thing with my OJ 5000. I don't need 500+ yards of line on it.

d-a

12. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Can you put braid directly on the spool using the spool tape that comes with the stella's? By tying the braid to the spool and then covering with the tape? or do you still need to put some mono backing?

13. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Can you put braid directly on the spool using the spool tape that comes with the stella's? By tying the braid to the spool and then covering with the tape? or do you still need to put some mono backing?

I don't have any mono backing on my spools. I do the tape over the knot and haven't had a problem

d-a

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

tuffline is great affordable line. I use it for casting