Help with serving a hollow core to mono connection

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by dales, Oct 7, 2008.

1. dales

dales Guest

I need some info on making the serve on a hollow core 80lb connection to 80lb mono. I have about 7 foot on mono pushed into the hollow core. I read somewhere that some people use dental floss to make the serve. Can someone please give me some info.

Thanks
    Dale

2. Capt. Mike Ellis

Capt. Mike Ellis Member

I just tie a overhand knot about 1/8-1/4" on the braid above where the mono comes out. I have never had a failure doing things this way.
    Capt. Mike

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

4. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Yo Dale,

In the old days we used uncoated dental floss for serving but we also used Pliobond and other adhesives no longer considered nearly as good as what is out there now. Today I am using 30# spectra and Jerry Brown serving adhesive. This combination assures the premade windons, both before and after seeing time in saltwater, retain their 100% strength properties as well as assuring the adhesive materials are able to penetrate both the serve line and the hollow spectra. I have always applied this using a bow string server tool which enables the user to reasonably quickly wrap the serving string around the connection.

One other note, you only need to go about 4 feet into the hollow with the mono/flouro and some say even less works as well.

If you are making your own windons and are making quite a few it is worth getting a very good holding/clamping device. Contact Basil at BHP tackle for everything you might need.

Making your own windons is easy once you get the hang of it.

Jamie