Help with Popping/Jigging in the Mediterranean

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by skip, Feb 17, 2008.

1. skip

skip Member

Hi,

First off, great forum. Here in Malta (Europe) jigging and popping doesnt seem have really come over here as techniques, but after reading through some of the posts here at 360tuna, I'm very intrigued and curious to have a go.

Two years ago when I started fishing we didnt have much of a choice of gear for fishing with rods over 30lbs, but slowly that has started to change.

To date I've only ever been trolling, mostly for Albacore in the early part of the season and then for Bluefin. I believe the term is schoolies for the type that we get here, they dont tend to exceed around 60lbs but 25-35 seem to be more the norm. Those commercial purse seiners that have put the Med on the map lately and in bad light, dont seem to leave any of the bigger tuna around for us who fish for sport.

I'd like to get one rig set up so that we can pop and jig for tuna. My motivation behind this comes from our experience last year where on several occasions we were surrounded by Bluefin but they werent that interested in lures that were being trolled along the surface. There were alot of small baitfish around and 6 inch squids/feathers and hard bodied lures didnt seem very appealing.

When we did stop and chum to try and get them interested we could see them all around under the boat maybe 10 meters down or so but we didnt have any jigging lures, nor poppers for that matter. I imagine being stationary and jigging to them or even popping might have produced much better results. I dont have any plans on buying any more trolling reels this year so would like to try something else, unless I can pop/jig with a recommended conventional rig.

Live bait is not an easy option for us as we dont have a baitwell and catching the bait is a task in itself here, plus you cant buy live bait anywhere.

So this leads me on to trying to select a rig to give it a go this season. Shipping rods from the USA is a pretty costly affair due to freight costs etc so am trying to see if somehow I can get round this.

Locally, in terms of rods we can get hold of the Shimano range, Grauvell (Spanish), Olympus Olympus - Queen company of the sea. In terms of reels, Shimano, Tica, Daiwa.

I found a 6 foot spinning rod called a Grauvell Jig Fun 650 that is rated for 50lbs which looked appealing though I note that OTI seem to be well favoured on the board.

Tica seem to have an Abyss 9700 or a GG100 but not sure how they would hold up. I could order a Spheros 14000FA (Stella's are out of my price range) but also read that without upgrading they're not that great. Would love to be able to buy a pre-upgraded Spheros which could be an answer.

In terms of existing equipment we have a good range of standup 30lbs, 50lbs and 80lbs outfits.

Would appreciate some guidance to see if I can get a rig sorted ideally sourcing as much as I can from Europe to ease on shipping. Didnt find anything on Tica reels on the site. I found a source in the UK for a Quantum PT80 or for double the price a Daiwa Saltiga B4500, and Star Rods.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

3. skip

skip Member

Thanks for the link, unfortunatey I dont speak Spanish so will have to look for a translator.

4. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Nick,

For a spinning reel, if you can get a Shimano Twinpower 8000HG, I can't imagine a better spinning reel for jigging and poppin 20-30kg tunas. Daiwa and shimano make jigging and popping rods that will suit your needs, and should be available in your market.

For a forum that might be able to answer your (med specific) questions a little better, try Nicola Zingarelli's website, Caranx.net - La pesca a spinning en el mar

Oh, and since you're from Malta, do you happen to know what a Kelb-Tal-Fenek is, cause one's watching me while I type this :)

5. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

Thanks for the link, unfortunatey I dont speak Spanish so will have to look for a translator.

Check these guys , they can communicate in English .

www.seawoodtackle.com

Jon .

6. skip

skip Member

Nick,

For a spinning reel, if you can get a Shimano Twinpower 8000HG, I can't imagine a better spinning reel for jigging and poppin 20-30kg tunas. Daiwa and shimano make jigging and popping rods that will suit your needs, and should be available in your market.

For a forum that might be able to answer your (med specific) questions a little better, try Nicola Zingarelli's website, Caranx.net - La pesca a spinning en el mar

Oh, and since you're from Malta, do you happen to know what a Kelb-Tal-Fenek is, cause one's watching me while I type this :)

Thanks for the info, will check it out. Literally translated its a Maltese Rabbit Hound/Dog as Kelb is a dog and Fenek is a rabbit.

Nick