Help with Metallic Sardines

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by copperhead, Aug 25, 2009.

1. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

Got trip to floaters in GOM this wkend for yft. Want to try out some metallic sardines I have.
    Please share your rigging tips and just how you work these. Also just what situation do you prefer them over other jigs.
    My jigs are already rigged with swivel/single hook should I replace? I have some ST 66's in 2/0 and 4/0 What do you guys do.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I tried those metallic sardines for yellows at the floaters with no success in the past in the GOM. Now I don't even bother, I just use short fat jigs like Hot's Drift Tune and Shimano Flat-sides to target the yellows using long stroke slow jigging style. Use 9/0 to 11/0 assist hooks for the tuna out there or 6/0 to 7/0 shout kudakos. Good luck!

The chart/glow in 8oz size shimano flat-side is particularly effective for night jigging tuna, as well as the firebrick/glow and brown/glow.

3. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

you could use them like a casting jig. just burn them across the top. otherwise its just another choice for jigs. the water should be nice. we were in near blue water 40 miles south of Biloxi yesterday.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I know I promoted Metalic Sardine jigs for years. :)
    When I tried the jigs for the first time, I didn't see any special and I didn't use them for a while until I observed other fishermen had success with them.
    I decided to test the jigs exclusively until I get bites. Once I got the confidence with the jigs, it became a must jig for tuna jigging. Now almost all serious tuna jig fishermen on the Northeast carry the jigs.

The jig is originated from Yozuri, but Yozuri gave up production of the jigs for unknonw reason. Peace Token carries very similar copies of the jigs.
    Jigsrigsandstuff started make copies of the jigs, but it is general opinion that
    Peace Token is very close to the original and works much better.
    The problem of Peace Token's jigs is weak eyes.
    I am going to introduce metalic sardine jigs soon with better quality and stronger eyes while maintaining the original characteristics of Yozuri's metallic sarine jigs.

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i trail with 8/0 single j hook

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You can rig hooks same as you do for other jigs. Assist hook, single hook or treble hook. I prefer Owner St66 3/0 or 4/0 or Gamakatsu Siwash 8/0 ( don't use smaller than 8/0. they are not strong enough).

Many East Coast fishermen jig up and down with the jig, but it is also very effective with Japanese style jerk/crank.