360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sealine Lever Drag 2-Speed vs Tournament 2-Speed Big Game Reels
-For 5-10 day trips in San Diego for big yellowfins and wahoo and chunking for YFT in Texas.

Has anyone had any experiences with these reels? How do they compare with the Sealine Tournament 2-Speed Big Game Reels as far as strength under heavy drag settings vs. weight savings? ie - Will I be giving up too much drag strength and frame rigidity for the savings in weight?

I want to spool it with 100# spectra w/ mono topshot.

They seem to me like a lighter version of these 2 speed reels (obviously!!) but have an aluminum frame where the TLD 2-speeds don’t.

I have a deal with Daiwa so that is why I'd like to stick with comparing the the Sealine models.

·
52 Posts
For the 5 and early Ocober 10 day trips, the SLD 30 is a great reel. More robust than the TLD 30. Will be just fine for what you have in mind. I would not use it for the late October trips. For that reel, Tuna are too big that time of year down on the lower banks.

LT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the 5 and early Ocober 10 day trips, the SLD 30 is a great reel. More robust than the TLD 30. Will be just fine for what you have in mind. I would not use it for the late October trips. For that reel, Tuna are too big that time of year down on the lower banks.

LT

thank you.

i already have a tld25 with an upgraded handle. if i complete the "hot rodding" of this reel that is described in Alan Tani's forums, will the daiwa be overkill and be too similar of a set up?

·
52 Posts
Red--Not at all--You will definitely need the 2 speed. Alan does great work and his tutorials are fantastic. Do that and you should be in great shape. Also, if you go on a later 10 day trip and feel the need for a cow size reel, you can always rent one from the boat. Most have very good loaner gear.

LT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts