360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a light “multi-purpose” “jigging” rod to cover a range of fishing I do. (yes, I realize it will be a compromise). Will probably build, but not opposed to a finished rod. I’ve poured over many many posts here and other forums.

Most of my fishing opportunities are offshore Texas for red snapper, but I also get out to floaters or make it to Venice from time to time, so would like to be able to use for tuna (blackfin and yellowfin 40-80 lbs are most likely). Also off Texas, the occasional chance for AJs, etc. Private boats or charters, not party boats.

Most of our snapper fishing is 5 or 7 oz. snapper slappers or Lucanis style jigs, so not working jigs too much. And some bait, both live and dead.

Floaters and Venice would be jigs in the same weight range, I suppose.

SPJ is intriguing, but realize that is a whole different calculation.

I have a Seigler SG that I plan to use on it. (Weighs 15.7 oz spooled, currently spoiled with 65# Braid. For tuna might consider re-spool 50# hollow to increase capacity).

Want a very light rod that is sporting for snapper, but capable for larger stuff and will balance nicely with the reel. I do have some larger options, so the light setup is more for sport.

I don’t have an opportunity to check out blanks or rods, so flying a bit blind, here. Any comments would be appreciated.

I’m considering:

Black Hole Cape Cod Special

All the blanks are light and plenty strong for what I’m most likely to tackle, so comes down to optimizing.

Thinking the 150 g is a good size? I’ve seen comments from Kil Song that it will handle heavier jigs than the spec, especially if slower jigging.

Also considering United Composites. Trying to understand the differences between the options and what is a good choice:

GUSA Jigging (from Charkbait specs. Can’t find on UC site)

US55XO PE3-5 Lure: 75-200 g Max Drag 15 lb (is this accurate or rated low?)

US55XOS PE4-6 Lure: 150-300 g Max Drag 22 lb

A bit heavier (an ounce or so) on blank weight

CXJ

Zeus

OTI Fathom Blade. Price and finished rod weight decent.

Others?

If I build, blue prints would be nice. I’d rather not have to spend a huge amount of time doing load testing to get guides optimized, planning to acid wrap.

Thanks

Hammer

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. Was thinking of something in the 5-6 foot range. What are Advantages of such a long rod?

Thanks

·
6,502 Posts
That SG is small... Would be really sweet on a 200-300g SPJ Rod... I'm having a Thrasher 100-200g built, but not sure I'd wanna hook a 75lb YFT on it ???

·
Registered
55 Posts
What port do you fish out of? I've been wanting to try SPJ for snapper. I've had luck vertical jigging and using a diamond jig, no luck with a butterfly or flutter jig yet.

We also mainly use snapper slappers and sometimes a fish finding rig with cut bait. Where are you getting your Lucanis jigs from?

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Freeport.
I’ve caught them on butterfly jigs.

I actually use the Williamson Yabai jigs. Overstockbait had them on various sales a few years back for a cheap as a few dollars, so I couldn’t resist buying multiple times. Working through that stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea, hard to pass up those jigs at that price. I got a few Kaburas while I was in Japan in 2019. I only used them once but catch fish every time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looking for a light "multi-purpose" "jigging" rod to cover a range of fishing I do. (yes, I realize it will be a compromise). Will probably build, but not opposed to a finished rod. I've poured over many many posts here and other forums.

Most of my fishing opportunities are offshore Texas for red snapper, but I also get out to floaters or make it to Venice from time to time, so would like to be able to use for tuna (blackfin and yellowfin 40-80 lbs are most likely). Also off Texas, the occasional chance for AJs, etc. Private boats or charters, not party boats.

Most of our snapper fishing is 5 or 7 oz. snapper slappers or Lucanis style jigs, so not working jigs too much. And some bait, both live and dead.

Floaters and Venice would be jigs in the same weight range, I suppose.

SPJ is intriguing, but realize that is a whole different calculation.

I have a Seigler SG that I plan to use on it. (Weighs 15.7 oz spooled, currently spoiled with 65# Braid. For tuna might consider re-spool 50# hollow to increase capacity).

Want a very light rod that is sporting for snapper, but capable for larger stuff and will balance nicely with the reel. I do have some larger options, so the light setup is more for sport.

I don't have an opportunity to check out blanks or rods, so flying a bit blind, here. Any comments would be appreciated.

I'm considering:

Black Hole Cape Cod Special

All the blanks are light and plenty strong for what I'm most likely to tackle, so comes down to optimizing.

Thinking the 150 g is a good size? I've seen comments from Kil Song that it will handle heavier jigs than the spec, especially if slower jigging.

Also considering United Composites. Trying to understand the differences between the options and what is a good choice:

GUSA Jigging (from Charkbait specs. Can't find on UC site)

US55XO PE3-5 Lure: 75-200 g Max Drag 15 lb (is this accurate or rated low?)

US55XOS PE4-6 Lure: 150-300 g Max Drag 22 lb

A bit heavier (an ounce or so) on blank weight

CXJ

Zeus

OTI Fathom Blade. Price and finished rod weight decent.

Others?

If I build, blue prints would be nice. I'd rather not have to spend a huge amount of time doing load testing to get guides optimized, planning to acid wrap.

Thanks

Hammer
I just built a set of jigging rods on Fishing Tackle Unlimited Hopper blanks. I'm pretty happy with them. The 150 G blanks work very well with jigs from 50 to 250 g. Then I built a 325 G Rod that works very well from 225g to about 450 G.

·
3,710 Posts
I just built a set of jigging rods on Fishing Tackle Unlimited Hopper blanks. I'm pretty happy with them. The 150 G blanks work very well with jigs from 50 to 250 g. Then I built a 325 G Rod that works very well from 225g to about 450 G.
Are those blanks still around ?
I used to build a mess of stuff on them.
Bulletproof rods.I still have a few , one that Has been rebuilt twice I like it so much !

Last time I looked they had disappeared.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leaning towards Black Hole 150 or 250 blank. Probably 250. My friend has a 150, going to borrow it to get a feel for the action.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
JayDubU
Thanks for the recommendation. Seems that blanks are not available, and the price of a finished rod is higher than I can justify.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts