Help! Too Much Line??

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by DanS, Feb 21, 2009.

1. DanS

DanS Senior Member

I recently purchase a Stella 18000 and 400yds of 80# OTI Depthfinder line. The line is shown as 0.40mm diameter, which is the equivalent of 17lb test mono.

The Stella 18000 spool capacity is supposed to take 415yds of 20lb test mono. So 400yrds of 17lb shouldn't be a problem.

But, I started spooling under tension, but I can't imagine the entire 400yds will go on this spool. It's filling up quickly! :eek:

Has anyone faced this situation??

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I don't think you're gonna get all that line on there DanS spooling without a machine. You might be able to get 350 yds into the spool without machine packing.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You can not accurately measure diameter of braided line as they are not rounded. From my experience, 80 lbs braided line is equivalent to 22- 24 lbs mono lines depending on what brand braided line you use.
    However once you use the reel filled with new braided line for a while, you get room on the spool for more lines.

4. DanS

DanS Senior Member

So, if the spool is "machine packed," and I cast 100yds out, will the line fit back on the spool? What happens with a run that takes 300yds? Will the tension of the fight more-or-less repack the spool tightly?

I reversed and will take the line and spool to my local fishing shop.

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I just packed my 20kSW with 75 yds of 80lb Sufix and 275 yds of 100lb Daiwa Saltiga Boat braid. Kil is correct on the accuracy of braided line diameter. It looks like I managed 350 yds of line on the 20kSW and it's line capacity is:

20/460, 25/380, 30/320

So looks like the braid combo I just put on placed me somewhere in between 25 and 30 lb mono. I hope that helps you gauge how much line you can pack into that 18kSW. I would safely say you can probably pack 300 yds of that OTI 80lb on your 18kSW tightly. It's always better to take it to a local fishing shop who can do it for you with the right equipment. Hope that helps!

6. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

ive had overfilled reels get packed so much tighter I would have room for as much as 150yards of 80 line ontop. IVe seen full spools go to 2/3s full after fighting a big tuna. You can pack as hard as you can even on a spooling machine, but nothing will do it as well as a fish. If you spool to be perfectly spooled now once you let it out and reel it back in, all the line will fit

7. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I don't have 18000SW, but I pack my 20000SW with 400yards(4 rolls) of 80#OTI.
    And still have enough room for 12 feet of 130# Seaguar Fluorocarbon.

8. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I recently purchase a Stella 18000 and 400yds of 80# OTI Depthfinder line. The line is shown as 0.40mm diameter, which is the equivalent of 17lb test mono.

The Stella 18000 spool capacity is supposed to take 415yds of 20lb test mono. So 400yrds of 17lb shouldn't be a problem.

But, I started spooling under tension, but I can't imagine the entire 400yds will go on this spool. It's filling up quickly! :eek:

Has anyone faced this situation??

No but I will soon.

If you go to the Japanese Shimano web site:

Japan Shimano Specs

I believe, translating the Japanese with iGoogle, that it says:

500M PE5
    400M PE6
    300M PE8

Converting that to yards, would get you about 330 yards PE8. When the spool is half-filled by diameter you have a little more than a third of its capacity used. So I would guess at the halfway point you might have been able to fit 150 yards. But these are educated guesses working with the Shimano numbers.

Let us know how it works out.

9. pametfisher

I'm thinking about loading the 20K FA reel with 100-150 yards of 80# JB and then the rest with 60# after talking to Basil at BHP tackle. That gives me somewhat stronger line in the area that gets the most exposure. Looks like I could get 450 yards or so with that combo.

10. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Interesting. The 20000K is shown to have 40yds more capacity than the 18000K.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i have a lot of 80% or 75% used spools laying around. not entirely sure what to do with them, but ill find some use one day. maybe dental floss ;)

do you want 400yds of line, or are you just wondering how come it doesnt seem to hold as much as you thought? i agree with everyone, its pretty tough to exactly know how much line a reel will hold until you spool it up.

12. jig

jig Senior Member

Just a heads up when filling your spinner. I have found that if I put as much line as I can on the reel, I would get lots of wind knots. If I fill to around 1/8 inch of the lip, problem goes away. You may already know this, but if not, hopefully it will save you some trouble. I wish someone had told me this 3 years ago.

I have been well served with 300yds of line on my spinner for all the YFT I have caught (fished around 18# drag with 65# spectra). But, I still have not broken the century mark on a tuna yet.

13. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Also when you do the mono conversion thing, you run into trouble. 20 lb mono in the US is all different sizes. Manufacturers want you to believe their line is stronger than other brands. It is just heavier line, larger diameter. It usually breaks from 20 to 40 lbs. It's crazy. Japanese usually rate line at a lot closer to it's actual breaking strength so Japanese 20 lb might be closer to US 12 or 14 lb diameter. Wish all manufacturers would rate their lines accurately. That way we could compare apples to apples.

Fred

14. pametfisher

One more thought ...

If you get 350 yards of line on the reel, set the initial drag to 20 lbs., by the time 250 yards has been pulled off, your actual drag will be up to about 40 lbs. That will stop a pretty big fish ... and you've still got 100 yards to go, with the drag rising to about 50 lbs. by the time you reach the bottom of the spool.

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

One more thought ...

If you get 350 yards of line on the reel, set the initial drag to 20 lbs., by the time 250 yards has been pulled off, your actual drag will be up to about 40 lbs. That will stop a pretty big fish ... and you've still got 100 yards to go, with the drag rising to about 50 lbs. by the time you reach the bottom of the spool.

rod will prob blow up by then if its under rated depending on the angle of load
    ie most people buy a rod by looking at specs and match line according to that spec.
    rod rated at max 25lb drag, buys line - 80lb according to 1/3 line rule they are good. set drag 20lb at full spool...well, if a fish took off half spool then the rod would prob blow up since it would be at 40lb drag.

16. pametfisher

rod will prob blow up by then if its under rated depending on the angle of load
    ie most people buy a rod by looking at specs and match line according to that spec.
    rod rated at max 25lb drag, buys line - 80lb according to 1/3 line rule they are good. set drag 20lb at full spool...well, if a fish took off half spool then the rod would prob blow up since it would be at 40lb drag.

... well said, unless you keep the rod tip down ... let the drag do the work ...

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

personally I go by rod rating and then match lines to the rod.
    so for a rod with max drag of 25 Id get 60/65lb line and set my initial drag to 20-22lb.
    If I ever felt I was getting spooled to half spool Id prob back off the drag a bit so my rod wouldnt blow up from too much drag. then again is depends on the angle and honeslty Id prob forget and just fight the fish and not touch a thing haha

your adrenaline is pumping and its hard to remember these things when fighting a big fish

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

... well said, unless you keep the rod tip down ... let the drag do the work ...

right on. but its up to the max your line/reel can take a drag wise. then its scary if the fish decides to do a dash under the boat and your not ready.

it would prob be easier backing off the drag and having a good fighting stance then bent over aiming at the fish for extended period of time

19. pametfisher

right on. but its up to the max your line/reel can take a drag wise. then its scary if the fish decides to do a dash under the boat and your not ready.

it would prob be easier backing off the drag and having a good fighting stance then bent over aiming at the fish for extended period of time

I've faced the same decision as DanS and I've just about decided to load my 20K with 80# JB. That will give me a lot of flexibilty, full splicing, no knot capability. And there's a lot of drag by the bottom of the spool.

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

DanS

When I spool line I wet the spool of line before starting to spool.
    Have someone hold the spool of wetted line with tension with a shirt or rag while you reel.

I also don't fill to the brim as with repeated casting and retrieve you will have line thats not packed back as tight as you did in the first place