Help! Problem with drag increasing during use

Discussion in 'Reels' started by jig, Jul 30, 2009.

1. jig

jig Senior Member

I usually fish this reel at about 25-30# drag. When I engage the lever, the knurled knob (drag preset) advances a tiny bit, thus increasing the drag. I use this for jigging, so after a few minutes of shifting from freespool to engaged, the increased drag is a lot, and I have to stop, reset and test. I have broken down the reel, and problem solved. Until I pull some line out against the drag, and then it starts to do it again. Huge problem. Anyone know what is causing this and a fix? I will send to Accurate, but this is my primary go to reel and I cannot be without it for 4-6 weeks in middle of the season.

I have done the short throw conversion if that matters.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

Jig, the problem is that you're putting expensive reels on those Gator rods. It makes the reels techy. If you put a Sealine or Senator on the brown rods, they don't mind at all.

3. jig

jig Senior Member

You're wrong. My Accurate is on a high doller Ugly stick. And so is my Avet 30/2 and LX 6/3. I only fish POS spinning reels on the low end rods.:D

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have noticed this with the new regular spool that I got. I havent even fished it yet. I didnt think much about it until I read this post. I just went and measured the drag and you are right... I checked the narrow and no problem. Im going to go ahead and send this one back before it gets used.

5. jig

jig Senior Member

Kurtis, I got a message from accurate that its probably the rubber o-ring in the cam. Apparently there is not enough friction to keep the knob fixed in position. They said they would send me a new cam to try out. I will let you know how it goes. If they send it and it works, I am going to be way impressed with their customer service.

6. hog

hog Member

Hello Jig,

I just read your last post about the o ring.. that makes sense..

I hadnt commented since I dont have that particular reel, but I had another brand of reel with a star drag that did just the opposite.. it would loosen... ended up being a small thin spacer washer had been left out some how in a clean up either from me or the reel over hauler fella I used. anyway, it was sorta the same deal, with out that thin washer, there wasnt enough friction or space takin up to keep the star in place...

Its fixed now and catchin fish like its suppose to.. Hope your problem is solved also...

Hog

PS: I know your being teased about that one particular gator rod, but if you indeed use that tough-stout yet el cheap-o while jiggin at all, you must have a arm like Popeyes buddy pictured below :) thats one heavy rod... :D
    [​IMG]

7. jig

jig Senior Member

Hog, I only use the gator tail for casting swimbaits/poppers. I don't have any problem with it for that application at all. And I am a pretty puny guy.:)

For jigging, I use the Ugly Stik and either Avet LX 6/3 or the accurate. I have tried some higher end rods, and I just like the Uglys better. They are pretty damn light, and indestructible. And I like their action. The fact I get 'em for $49 during rod riots is just gravy.

The end all for me is I know exactly what I want a reel/rod to do, and I get exactly what I need for the desired application. The Avet LX was all I needed for 40#. An accurate would certainly work, but I didn't need the extra drag capacity. Now for 60#, the Avet HX would not do what I wanted, so I spent the extra, without hesitation, for the Accurate. For 80#, the Avet 30/2 does what I needed done, so no need to spend more for Accurates. Same with the Spheros. No need for me to spend for the Stella.

Of course, this is just for me, what I do and what I need. Everyone is different.

8. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Kurtis, I got a message from accurate that its probably the rubber o-ring in the cam. Apparently there is not enough friction to keep the knob fixed in position. They said they would send me a new cam to try out. I will let you know how it goes. If they send it and it works, I am going to be way impressed with their customer service.
    Definately let me know. I may go ahead and call accurate and tell them abou the problem.
    Even if I send it back, it never hurts to have spare parts.