Help Pouring Lead Vertical Jigs

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by red34, May 22, 2009.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I just bought the 7 & 9 oz flutter lure mold from Do-It Molds. I am having alot of trouble getting a clean lure from it. I am pre-heating the mold, pouring fast, slow, tilting the molds, etc... and I can not figure it out!!

Sometimes they'll come out clean so I'll put in a wire insert and then the next set comes out like crap.

Please help!!!

2. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

A lot of time it also depends on the temp of the lead itself.

I'm sure others can help here, but I had a hard time even pouring sinkers until I realized that you can overheat the lead.

3. wacker

wacker Senior Member

Make sure you clean the slag out of your lead. Sounds like you are getting some slag issues.

4. red34

red34 Guest

I'm using lead from tire weights for rigidity of the lures. I don't know what slag is or how to avoid it. Please explain.

5. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

I'm using lead from tire weights for rigidity of the lures. I don't know what slag is or how to avoid it. Please explain.

I dont know anything about pouring lures but lead from wheel weights is not very pure. It is going to have a lot of tin in it and it may be whats giving you trouble.

6. jojo69

jojo69 Guest

I make my own fishing weights and it sounds to me like the lead is not hot enough. I some some clean lead if you need some not much put its good and clean. The molds need to be superhot for it to flow right and the lead too

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Wheel weight lead is best for bullets.
    Find some pure lead for your jigs, smoke your mold and keep it hot.
    Slag is the gray stuff that floats to the top. When the lead is hot stir it to get the lighter metals to float and skim them off.

8. wacker

wacker Senior Member

Like Jerry said the tin, ect will float to the top and you can just skim it of before you dip your lead for a pour. Tin and other impurities have a much higher melting point than pure lead and there is no way it will make it down the mold before setting up. Don't over heat you lead cuz it is a bad thing OK?

9. Team Buddahead

Team Buddahead Member

Please post a picture of the problem you are having. It will help with solving the problem.

10. jojo69

jojo69 Guest

Tire lead stinks, I use old lead from cast nets that are not fixable. I'll give you my cell#and we could talk about the lead

11. red34

red34 Guest

I think I was mostly pouring too slow. I started pre-heating the mold with a heat gun and just dumping the lead in as fast as it'll go. I started getting pretty nice results. I'll post up some pics soon.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll bet I have 80-110 lbs of tire weight lead. I reduced down about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket that I picked up from shops all over town. I'm glad I figured out how to use it because it took a LONG time to reduce all that lead down!!

12. red34

red34 Guest

Here are some of the ones I've made:

[​IMG]

Completed Jigs

[​IMG]

Blanks and reduced down wheel weights

[​IMG]

Here's the mold.

[​IMG]

13. TxBuddha

TxBuddha Junior member

Are you fluxing your lead after it's melted and before you pour? Wheel weights are notorious for being dirty.

PM me if you need specifics.

14. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I like them. Sell me a couple of each. I enjoy painting them up in funky ways.

15. red34

red34 Guest

Are you fluxing your lead after it's melted and before you pour? Wheel weights are notorious for being dirty.

PM me if you need specifics.

Fluxing??? Please give me a quick run down of what that is and how to do it. Might as well do it on the post so everyone can learn.

Thanks

16. etan

etan Senior Member

I looked it up on Ebay and it is putting something in the hot lead to raise the dirt and impurities to the surface. Skim off the surface until you get a clean shiny top. Consensus was that a small piece of wax worked best. Google it and you'll find a lot of info. The irons look good, I'm looking forward to getting my mold. I think I'll use vinyl lure paint on mine.

17. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

You can use rosin or saw dust to act as a flux.

18. wishn4fishn

wishn4fishn Member

I have poured over 200 pounds of weights including 40 jigs from 10-24 ounce painted with spray paint. Bought jig from England. Heated jig mold with torch Heated lead inlead melting pot pour lead in small cast iron pot heat pot more and pour in hot mold. Need to keepmold and lead hot to get good poor. I use only tire weights works great. Taking 40 jigs on Tomeny trip this weekend.

19. etan

etan Senior Member

What are you using for paint? Are you using an air brush?

20. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

The best lead to use for a large pour (ie anything over 4 or 5 oz) is a very soft pure lead. Like roofing lead or the lead that is used to insulate old telephone and electrical cables. After you get the lead up to heat, drop in a piece of candle wax - beware it will spark sputter and burn, smoke - that's called fluxing the lead. After all the smoke burns off - 1 or 2 min. then skim all the crap off the top and throw it in a coffee can - once it cools toss it.

When you get lead the old sash weights from windows are good, roofing lead, plumbers lead - tire weights are the worst - try the other sources you'll see.