1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i am not sure which guides i want to pick

titanium framed sic or gold cermet?

will be fishing braided lines.

what would you pick?

will the cold cermet stand up better then the sic?

·
3,719 Posts
I'm in a toss up over some guides right now too. I'm looking at fuji alconites
and a set of no name SIC's on ebay. The titanium sic's look nice but the price is rediculous.I've got fuji guides on a rod that has been beat to death for over 20 years.and they still look great. I don't think you can beat fuji quality.
But you pay for it.
I looked up those "cermet "guides.What a beautiful guide. I think the biggest they make it a 25 though. Great on casting rods but not really big enough for a heavy spinning rod.
They probably don't make a 40 because very few people would pay $75 for a single guide. lol

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok from mudhole using 16 12 12 10 10 10 with out tip ist 107 for gold and 69 for sic hmm this will be a toss up

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
107 seems like alot but them i remember that i have dropped 200 on just a tip :/

·
1,334 Posts
How will Alconite hold up on long tuna runs?? Will heat buildup or line/guide wear be a factor with braided lines and heavy drag?

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
How will Alconite hold up on long tuna runs?? Will heat buildup or line/guide wear be a factor with braided lines and heavy drag?

They have been fine so far, no problems reported back to me yet

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
If it's one dream rod and cost is no object them Titanium SiC's are very nice. But there is a diminishing return with using these ultra-expensive guides. They are lighter, but man! You could probably build a whole rod for the cost of a set of guides!

The chrome "no name" SiC's on eBay from Arthur Wu (Baja2851) are extremely nice... Plus he's a great guy and a very knowledgeable tuna fisherman. :) I'm sure that he stands behind the quality 100% or he wouldn't sell them. We emailed back and forth a couple of times and he convinced me that I really needed to try a set.

I looked them over very closely and the build quality e.g. welds, bends, ring inset, chrome, etc... is very, very, very Nice! I really didn't expect them to be as nice as they are. An added and unexpected feature is that the feet are pre-shaped by hand to a fine taper THEN chromed, so there is no need to taper and no exposed metal.

Having said all of that, I do still think that CMNAG chrome Fuji Alconite is a great guide. The "no name" mfg is not brand new to producing guides; I believe Arthur said that this model has been in production now for 5 years. (that's from memory, don't hold me to it) But the Fuji name and their quality assurance are factors to consider.

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it's one dream rod and cost is no object them Titanium SiC's are very nice. But there is a diminishing return with using these ultra-expensive guides. They are lighter, but man! You could probably build a whole rod for the cost of a set of guides!

yes this will prob be my dream rod lol.. 100g jm blank and i am trying to keep it very very light. i have been going back and forth on which guides hmm they should make titanium framed low riders with cold cerment :)

·
1,334 Posts
Good to know about the Alconite holding up well! I prefer the Sic's MNSG style, but it's good to know that the Alconites will hold up to help people out on a tighter budget. I have also tried the Am. Tackle Ring Lock Nanolite Virtus and they seem to work pretty well, too.

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
This is the set I was looking at .
Probably the same company as Baja uses,but I don't know.
They look really decent ,for the price, around 40 bucks with shipping

Same ones, he is the supplier... I actually bought my set from Acidrod because I needed some other bits too. :)

·
163 Posts
If this is your Dream Rod then go with the best you can afford. I have used Fuji Gold Cermets on several rods and they are still going strong after maybe about 15 or so years. The cermet ring is slightly "thinner"? than their SIC ring, or at least that's how it seems to me.

If I remember correctly, the spinning guides are made up to size 30. I know for sure I have a size 30 single foot on one of my rods. Almost positive they have a double footed 30. I have used single foot, casting, and double footed cermets on my rods in the past.

They look really nice too.

·
717 Posts

I only have them on one inshore rod but I read (actauly thought it was here on 360) that somone was spooling up there reel at home applying alot of drag and I thought he created a groove in the guides........ IMO I dont think it can happen unless your talking 35lb of drag and a single pull of 1000yds:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts