Help needed ASAP in Galveston area

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Formula4Fish, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Attention all 360Tuna's. Jerry "Snagged" Semifero" was airlifted from the Big-E and was transported to the U.T. Galveston Medical Branch Hospital where he was treated for dehydration and released. He's doing fine, but is stranded at the main entrance of the hospital.

Would it be possible for someone in that area to pick him up and take him to his truck in Freeport.

He can be reached on his cell phone at 361-945-1254.

Thanks

2. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Glad to hear he's doing fine. Keep posting and let us know if he gets a ride.

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I talked to for just a min.

He has found a ride.

and headed back to Freeport.

UE has also contacted his Family.

K2

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Damn, Glad to hear that Jerry is allright.. Thanks for the info.. Glad he got a ride. So when is the Big E supposed to be back??

5. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Dang it Jerry...
    Don't check out on us..

Prayers sent your way bud.

6. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

He's OK... He has a couple AJ over 100# on the Big-E that may be in the Fiesta money.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

that sucks, best of luck to him

8. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

He said that he caught a 110 lb. Amberjack.....(he told me that before he told me how he was doing....lol).

Congrats on the AJ's Jerry....and I'm glad that you're doing fine.

9. feeder

feeder Senior Member

110lbs? Dang no wonder he was dehydrated :eek:

Congrats Jerry, good to hear you're doing ok.

10. shanker

shanker Senior Member

im glad he's alright. I called my mother (since she lives in the H-town area to see if she would give him a ride) but she is in vegas right now, otherwise im sure she would have done it, to be honest, if anyone from the CC area wants to leave right now, Im up for some highway action.

11. STx Fisherman

Jerry got a ride with Mont from 2cool. I just got off of the phone with him and he's doing fine. He is spending the night in Freeport to wait for his AJ's.

He joined the Fiesta tournament in Freeport and he is definitely going to have the top two AJ spots....and maybe even a tournament record for Amberjack. The tournament record is 94 lbs.

12. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

wtg and wtnotsogo, Jerry!!!!!

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Snagged, I'm sure that was a scary moment for yourself and everyone on-board. Luckily, everything turned out positive. I don't want to lose one of the only Internet fisherman I've every met. Even though we've only met a couple of times I consider you a friend and want to fish with you one day before one of us dies offshore. I had very limited access to a computer this weekend and if I'd seen this post, I'd dropped every plan to help.

After a grueling 16 hours in horrible seas the day before yesterday, we took out the wives yesterday afternoon for a quick fishing trip. We let them bring in one kingfish after another until they gave up. We didn't keep any as I don't see killing any fish you won't eat. That little three hour trip wore them out. Last night at dinner, the normal chatter boxes on the women wasn't working. They were to tired to talk. My ears don't hurt today. Just hanging on to something in sporty seas will take it's toll.

We think we are invincible. I certainly think I'm bullet proof. But, I'm not. Most of us stubborn fishermen are to manly to speak up. I've had a couple of big scares the past two weekends. Not on myself, but with very good long term trustworthy friends. I noticed one not being as active as normal. I really knew something was wrong when he turned to me as he was pumping up his sixth straight bottom fish. He said "I can't bring this one up. Finish it for me". Normally I would have laughed and called him a name, but the look and color in his face told me he was dead serious.

I finished up both my fish and his while looking more at him then my line in the water. It was hotter than hell, Seas were 6-8 footers. We had been pumping up fish for an hour straight. I walked over and sat next to him. That's when he told me he had a high blood pressure and was on medication to keep it down. The medication that he was taking was new to him, and it had taken his pressure to an extremely low level. Low blood pressure can be just if not more dangerous than high blood pressure. I handed him a Gatorade. He didn't even have the energy to open up the cap. That scared the hell out of me. This is a man among men that couldn't even open a twist cap.

Two days ago in one of the worst thunderstorms I've been in offshore, I witnessed another good friend having problems. Instead of doing my usual joking comments, I sat next to him and just talked. Man, these stubborn friends just keep everything to themselves. I had no freaking idea what was going on with him until he spilled the beans. Life on the water can be cruel. Heat combined with rough seas and wet weather can take a toll on everyone. It's real easy to sick after getting wet repeatedly in the hot humid conditions we have down south.

You have to tell your yourself. I am not superman, I am a stubborn fisherman. You cannot drink enough fluids. Think of yourself as an outboard motor. If it's not pissing, something's wrong and it's going to overheat.
    You can never drink enough fluids. If you haven't pissed in two hours, that should be a sign that you need more fluids. When you stop sweating, it's almost to late. Both of my friends never pissed in over eight hours. That's not good.

I never stop sweating when outdoors. I also drink tons of fluid. I also haven't seen a doctor besides a dentist in 36 years. That's probably not smart on my part. I'm as stubborn as the next guy and I'm sure one of these days the big one will come. My point is friends are more important than fish. Be careful and if you have medical issues make sure your friends know about it. It will make life a lot easier and just maybe we won't go out fishing in all these rough seas just to prove were manly.

I set the alarm this morning to beat the traffic from the coast. You either have to leave at sunrise or sunset on these big holiday weekends. I also found myself driving in some bad storms. I'll admit, I'm sore from two punishing weekends.

14. STx Fisherman

The outboard motor pissing analogy is great....and you're absolutely right....
    When offshore in hot humid conditions....you can never get enough water.
    Great post.

15. etan

etan Senior Member

Thanks for the post Mr Bill. I agree that we don't think out there sometime. The body tells us but we don't listen!

16. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

good post Mr Bill! and JERRY!!! you old crab!! you better take better care of yourself out there next time!!!!!! WHo else is gonna keep me in line!!!!!!

17. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I want to thank the four or five people who called, apparently within minutes of my needing a ride and big thanks to Mont Weeks for the lift and tour of some pretty Texas countryside.

18. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Jerry..
    I was away at work as usual when all this went down... you have plenty of buds that would drive from the far corners of the Earth/ DFW to help!

Glad to see you made it thru unscathed and still tough as nails!

Congrats on them Whopper AJ's!

Bazz