Help me decide

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by SkeeterRonnie, Nov 24, 2006.

1. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

I want to buy ONE TIME (so price is irrelevant)... Is it more beneficial as far as comfort and fishability to get the Trex 30 over an AVET 50/2?? I want to use this rig for Heavy AJ/Big Boy Chunking. My thinking is the Trex will be lighter, smaller and more comfortable/fishable that the big ol 50/2.

I will have a 50# rig as well (Avet 4/0-2 speed)

2. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Skeeter,

You wanna buy it correctly. I appreciate this.

I will have a 50# rig as well (Avet 4/0-2 speed)
    Do you own this already?

I watched McGolfer chunk fish with a spinner on the GEM trip. This really got me to thinking.

I wonder about using a spinner for topwater and chunking. Then getting a larger AJ, grouper rig.

3. SkeeterRonnie

dont own the 50# rig yet either.. Hmmm. SPinner for chunking and livies... Line capacity would be my only concern on a larger YFT. Got a spinner already, and a jiggin setup. just thinking of rounding out my 4 basics with quality gear.

BTW- the new Bass Pro in Garland has hardly anything for saltwater... only good thing I saw was some 8 oz diamond jigs. Definately stay with the Dallas location for saltwater gear.

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

50 size reel will have more cranking power compare to 30 size reel JMO.

Go with 50 size reel, i think you will love it in the long run.

5. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Stick with a narrow 50 because of the reasons TJ mentioned and the 50 is about the same weight as a TRX30. Since you're looking at avets get a 50SDS.

6. SkeeterRonnie

thank yall for the help.

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Skeeter,
    You seem to be hung up on the Avet's. You might want to consider the Shimano Tiagra 30WLRSA. I've caught blue marlin up to 450 pounds on the 30W. If there is a better chunking reel out there I would like to see it. It's probably an overkill for the 100 pound class YFs but it stalls them to less than a 75 yard initial run. It also is a great reel for pulling up AJs. I wish I had a dollar for every AJ I've seen boated with a 30W. You really don't need a 50 class reel unless you consistently troll for marlin.

I used a 30WLRSA two weeks ago to power in three YF's in one hour. Two of them only took 7 and 5 minutes with heavy drag setting. The free spool on this reel for chunking is second to none. With a 40 pound preset on the drag I could put the reel in free spool and it sent the chunk of bait out faster than anyone else on the boat. I had to thumb it from going out to fast. My bait was always the first one to be outside the lights of the boat. Result, Hook up every time.

The cost isn't that bad. If fact, I won two more auctions on ebay yesterday with the 30WLRSA's. I got both of them for 420 bucks each with a 10 buck shipping charge and no sales tax. Just spool them with 50 pound big game high test. It breaks around 84 pounds. You really don't need spectra to pull up AJ's when you still put 40 pounds of drag saftely on the 50 pound big game mono.

I'm thinking of having two custom rods made for these two using a Super Seeker SS-CTSF55XXH blank with Winthrop tool roller guides and tip. I might just buy two of the Melton grander series rods. I saw one of the Melton grander series stand up rods break this year, but it was because of a person on board doing a crazy test that no rod ever built would hold up too.

8. SkeeterRonnie

after sending Shimano my calais for a cracked hood/cover and them charging me for replacing it with a used one, along with a bearing(warranty issues)- i am done with shimano. overpriced, and thier quality is becoming surpassed by others.

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

If you go to the docks or fish many the big money tournaments look at all the gold on the sportfisherman boats. These guys fish for money. The cost of a reel means nothing. Poco's prize out of POC is around one million. Bisbee Black and Blue in Cabo pays out around 3-4 million. I've fished both of these and the HIBT in Kona. Guess what brand is being used on 80% of the boats. Guess which brand is not on one boat. I rest my case.

Isn't the calais a bass reel? When it comes to HD reels the Tiagra is still the best. Penn is catching up with the new "V" series but they are a few steps behind Shimano. I sold all my internationals after fishing the first batch of Tiagra's. The new "A" series was a nice upgrade of a fine reel.

The fact that you got burned with the calais reel gave you a bad taste. I understand. I don't like getting screwed around either. I haven't bought a Dawia product in years because of the same thing. They have improved with their saltiga line. I've fished with them and they are very good. But, I have yet to buy one because of the trouble I had with Dawia in the past. Some of us are very hard in our ways. You must be like me. Burn me once your gone.

I agree with you about some of the Shimano products being overpriced. Their butterfly jigs are way to expensive, but they produce. They spend a lot of money on marketing, advertising, and R&D. Somebody has to pay for it.

10. SkeeterRonnie

Maybe I am being a little harsh on thier saltwater HD gear... and without realizing it- I have the spinning reel (Spheros). Still think I will stick with AVET until a problem arises. Yes we are alike in the burn department( burn me once, shame on u- burn me twice, shame on me) lol. Thanks for the input, it does help. And I do agree on the shimano being on all the boats- but these are also the same guys that have used shimano for ages, and are set in their ways. In due time i believe AVET will be on many boats replacing the "old skool" ways...lol. Who wouldnt love to put 100# of drag on a fish and see who wins...lol.

11. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Ronnie,

No matter what you get, I'd reccomend a narrow reel (but hey, I'm biased, all my conventionals are narrows or standard width). I know you said money's not the object here but I also like to see folks get good value out of their investements. I don't see the point in spending the money for the T-Rx 30. Get an SDS if you're set on Avet. Personally I like my Penn 30s for chunk and bottom fishing. After some work from Cal Sheets, the drag is super smooth and pulls well over 35lbs at strike w/ plenty of freespool. I'm sure it'll do more than that, I just don't have any need for it. Penn's also coming out w/ a 30VXS meant to do exactly what you want w/o having Cal work on it.

Even w/ the custom work, my 30s came in under $600. With the money saved over a T-rx, you're half way to a new Avet Hoo-X ;) .

12. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I have picked up several Int'l 30 that have been to see Cal Sheet off flea-bay. All were under 600.

13. Backlash Scott

Backlash Scott Member

The Avet 4/0 two speed will fish 80# mono.It will hold 400 yards of 40# mono,so with spectra, line capacity really isn't an issue.What #line are you planning to chunk with?There is a significant weght difference between the 4/0 (46 ounces ) & the 50 (65 ounces).If you do go with the 4/0 two speed, I would definitely recommend putting an Avet 50 handle on it.It will give you much better cranking power.Just my .02
    Backlash Scott

14. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

i agree go with a tiagra 30wlrsa or if oyu really want an avet in the 50 size the topless pro 50. IT has a narrow spool and topless which makes it easier to use and easier to cast.

15. SkeeterRonnie

i plan on getting an AVET 4/0 (30) size, and a 50 SDS. Thanks for all the input. You all helped me make a good decision.

16. newman

newman Senior Member

Hey Ronnie, Get the Narrow Pro 30. Unless you are on a private boat in a chair the wobble will be annoying. I have fished both 50W and 50 narrow and given a choice it is narrow EVERY TIME for standup fishing! You can fit 500 yds of 130 JB hollow and have wind ons in 100, 80, 60, 50, and even 40.

The Pro 30's have more drag available than most guys can even use without getting pulled over.JMHO

For me I hope to get a Pro 30 narrow and a HOO-X:)!

17. Savage Rods

Savage Rods Member

If you'd like an Avet reel, let me know. I carry them. Prices are maintained by Avet so everyone sells them for the same price. I have a few hitting this week and will post when they arrive.

Don

18. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Why AVET?

Get a Shimano Tiagra 50 narrow.

19. fishterrorizer

fishterrorizer Junior member

try the duel 2 speed 30's you wont ever look back!

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Why AVET?

Get a Shimano Tiagra 50 narrow.

Couldn't agree more you Minnow.

There's also nothing wrong with stand up fishing a wide one as long as you have a machined metal reel seat. I wouldn't consider putting a wide on a non uni-butt with machined reels seats. Always use a strap wrench by "rigid" to tighten the rings. You will get some wobble with all reels after a long fight. Just tighten up the rings after every fish. I wish they would come up with a standard size reel seat for both reels and rod reel seats. Proper size machining of both would solve all problems.

It never fails. You align your reel with the guides, tighten down the reel and after fighting a fish your out of line again. Maybe some metal shims placed along each side of the reel seat would get rid of the play.

21. Tunakid

Tunakid Junior member

new to the forum and way late in weighing in on this one but o know a guy who fished with an sds and a ti30wlrsa and said that he would take the sds anyday

22. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

It never fails. You align your reel with the guides, tighten down the reel and after fighting a fish your out of line again. Maybe some metal shims placed along each side of the reel seat would get rid of the play.

hate-it-when-that-happens

i've had good luck using aluminum tape (the soft metal tape used for HVAC)

the adhesive backing helps hold it place and aids in 'stacking' layers for greater thicknesses if needed

and being soft, it's easily cut with scissors and conforms well to whatever you're shimming.....

once it's thoroughly compressed, it should help eliminate 'play'

23. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey Bill Fisher- Is there any weight to the aluminum HVAC tape? Is it similar in weight per mm to solder by chance?

Thanks!