360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out this year the value of an 8 foot rod (vs. a 7') when casting jigs. I was on a 7 day trip on the Excel and I was working twice as hard to get 20 yards less distance than my bud who was using an 8' rod. So I vowed to get one wrapped before my trip next year. Now, I will use this rod once per year so it probably doesn't make sense to get the absolute best components but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. So help me pick out the components from the blank to the guides to the reel seat and even whether to use a gimble or not. This rod will be used primarily as a jig rod but will need to be a backup for bait. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
what blank was he using?
if it was working use same blank.
what size fish you target.
what size jigs you using/ throwing?

you can use a DPSM or DPSH seat.
or
aftco, or pacbay channel lock for metal.
for guides MNSG or a turbo style guide
you can use a GC fuji gimbal.
hypolon fore grip
evar rear.
or eva for both grips, if you arent using the rail alot.

there are cheaper guides, and reelseats.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were indeed chunking iron. He had a super seeker blank that is PRICEY. I would guess the average lure weighted 3-5 oz.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
the SD blank tx spoke of is the seeker.
it comes in a few models. great blank.
you could always go with cheaper guides and a good blank..if budget is a concern.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, please know that I know Squat about components. Need as many specifics as possible

In addition to the blank, I need guidance on reel seat, graphite vs. metal, guides, SIC (whatever that means), gimble or not?

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
i gave you
model of seat, DPSH, DPSM..both will work.size 22 or 24 pick the style YOU like.
model of guides..MNSG ..the turbo LRSG...size 20 and 9 size 12's
tip..MNST
model of gimbal..GC22 gimbal.

OR
metal parts.
pac bay channel lock
aftco gimbal

go to a site like mudhole.com for rodbuilding stuff.
look at all the parts you were given.
see if they are in your budget.

if so..we can go from there.

·
5,457 Posts
Guys, please know that I know Squat about components. Need as many specifics as possible

In addition to the blank, I need guidance on reel seat, graphite vs. metal, guides, SIC (whatever that means), gimble or not?

You will deal with a lot less frustrations if you have One of the 2 (TXseadog;Paul708)rod builders who have been helping you build the rod for you the way you need it.

But if your inclined to try it yourself there's a plethora of knowledge here.Rodbuilding.org - The internet's gathering place for custom rod builders

d-a

·
19 Posts
Outhouse - call Txseadog or Paul and tell them your dollar budget. They will build it as close to the specs that you want as your money will allow.

If your flexible, you'll get almost exactly what you want.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, I just want to thank you for your input. A west coast friend of mine who builds rods semi-professionally, has agreed to wrap a rod for simply the cost of components. Ended up ordering a Rainshadow blank, alps guides, reel seat and gimble.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
Guys, I just want to thank you for your input. A west coast friend of mine who builds rods semi-professionally, has agreed to wrap a rod for simply the cost of components. Ended up ordering a Rainshadow blank, alps guides, reel seat and gimble.
what blank did you use?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts