help justify stella

Discussion in 'Reels' started by sharpshooter, Sep 15, 2009.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Senior Member

i need help justifying the purchase of a Stella 8000 sw. i currently have a Spheros 1400 fa and a Stradic 8000. considering selling these and getting a Stella 8000 to replace them. i like the 8000 size because im a small guy (5'2" 150lbs) and the 14000 is tiring. what i dont understand is how is the Stella capable of landing a 100lb tuna and other 8000 series reels not so. i mean with that size reel you are limited to 250-300yrds of PE4-PE6. that means a usable drag of up to 22lbs. wouldnt i be able to do that with any of the reels be it a stradic, spheros, saragosa, or stella? i understand it is better constructed and smoother, but will it truely allow me to catch a fish faster or catch larger fish given the line limitations? i want the stella, but need help justifying it. thanks for the help!

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I have a Saragoosa 8000 and it hold less line than the Stella 8000 does. Plus I have already blown up both gears in it in just 5 months. Ajs are tough on reels and so are tuna, if I had the extra cash I wouldn't hesitate 1 iota about getting a Stella.

3. PROFINITY

PROFINITY Guest

The Stella can withstand the stress as it is engineered and built to do so where many other reels are not. Buy a good reel and use it for along time. Buy a not so good reel and have cash ready to replace it, again and again and again.

4. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

The Stella can withstand the stress as it is engineered and built to do so where many other reels are not. Buy a good reel and use it for along time. Buy a not so good reel and have cash ready to replace it, again and again and again.

Ditto that. I just had an arguement with another Fella on another site because I own a Dogfight and a Stella SW and he thinks I am an elitist a-hole... In reality, I only wanted to buy the reels one time, and never have to worry about them failing.

5. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

In reality, I only wanted to buy the reels one time, and never have to worry about them failing.

That is the key right there...buy the best and buy it once. Buy lesser quality and you will wind up spending alot more in the long run :)

6. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

That is the key right there...buy the best and buy it once. Buy lesser quality and you will wind up spending alot more in the long run :)

LOL, I couldn't convince that other dude of that!

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

sharpshooter, the Stella is capable of catching very large fish and putting the heat to the fish over and over again for reliable service on many trips. Although it's engineered to be a tough reel, you cannot neglect cleaning it and servicing it either, that goes for all reels in general. You're not gonna get that much line with a Stella 8000SW as you wanted. If you're looking for a casting reel, go with the Stella 10000SW for line capacity, the 10000SW is also the same physical size as the 8000SW. If you're jigging and want Shimano USA warranty, buy a Stella 8000SW-PG and get a 10000SW spare spool for line capacity, otherwise if Shimano USA warranty is not a factor, get the JDM Stella 10000SW-PG for its low gears and line capacity over the 8000 size.

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I am 5'11 140lb. I do not get tired jigging as long as the gear is good balance and weight.

Once you learn technique it is easy.

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the weight of the jig ends up being a big factor whether youre getting tired or not. easier to jig a 200g jig than a 400g jig all day even if you've got the right rod for the trick.

it comes down to how much youre going to use these reels. a couple trips a year? you can probably gamble with a cheaper reel. many trips a year for a lot of years? probably a better idea to go with something that will hold up better.

there are obviously mechanical differences that we dont need to get into IMO. the reel is priced higher for a reason.

10. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

it's smoother, prettier, stronger and is a joy to use

quality costs money, if you can justify quality you can
    justify a Stella

11. papio

papio Senior Member

You can never go wrong with Stellas. I own 2 and love them. I also own Saragosas, Spheros, Stradics, Sustains, Metal Strikers, and Okuma salinas. A few reels were purchased before my Stellas and a few after. I fish accordingly what reels be used depending on target fish, size, etc.

It behooves you to get a Stella or Stellas. It's like this, when I run down the corner store a few miles away, I use my 4 cylinder Gallant instead of my Chevy Suburban.

Lesser reels do have its place in fishing. Get a Stella when you can, it's worth every penny. Keep it maintained and it will last you until Shimano comes out with a new more advance Stella spining reel, hehehe.

12. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

my personal opinion is that you can land big tuna/AJs On a stella 8000 using topwater. you wont have 3-400 feet of line out when you get hit. on the 8000 size stellas you dont have to much to work with after that. I feel much more confident with the 20000 size jigging in deep water. more line helps me not do foolish things when i think the spool is getting to low.
    Also the stellas have the best drag on the market. you get what you pay for. I dont have 15 reels either. i have four and two are stellas. i just cant afford to have my gear break or act funny when its game time. It wont be the gears fault if i loose that good fish, it will be mine : 0

13. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

My view..... You never know when that trophy fish will come and when that happen you want to make sure everything is good and in a perfect condition...everything is important and if you know that you could have made a different when I matters.... You never know when that dream fish will come again if it ever will....

14. tmd

tmd Large Member

there was that detailed review of the stella SW by master alantani. i can't find the link though