Help : How to remove star drag & handle Penn 114

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by Marlin jablai, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Marlin jablai

Marlin jablai Guest

Dear forumer, I need your assist, how to open/remove the star drag of my old Penn 114 series, as I don't have anymore the original tools from Penn. Also I want to change the handle knob by aluminium, but it look hard to loose the knob. I'am very appreciate if you can tell me step by step with photo's and also the tools needed. Thank's in advance.

A. Star drag - How to open them
    B. Handle knob - How to change them

2. Marlin jablai

Marlin jablai Guest

Check Fishing Reel Repair by Alan Tani - Index

[email protected] : I've check of this alantani site ( great site, good job Alan !!! ), but I don't find how to remove of the star drag or remove of the handle knob, the pictures just showing the part already in a mesh, Heeyy where's my guru's Alan ???

3. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

i dont think you can only change the knob. you will have to change out the whole handle.

if you dont have the specialty wrench then just take your screw driver and remove the lil set screw and then take a pair of pliers and bust loose the nut. you can place a piece of cloth around the nut to keep from buggering it up if you would like.
    this will get the "star" and the handle off !

if you are wanting to actually replace your drag washers and such then it gets a lil more complicated !

hope this helps.
    luke

4. alantani

alantani Senior Member

Heeyy where's my guru's Alan ???

just finishing my coffee...........

the handle assembly is rivetted together. if you want to change out a grip, you have to drill out the old one and bolt on a new one. i have an example here.... handle upgrades - please read this first you need a handle wrench to remove the handle nut. they are very common and many tackle shops have extra's lying around. the shimano wrench will fit on the penn handle nut, but the penn wrench is slightly smaller and will not fit on a shimano handle nut. can you post a picture of the handle grip that you want to bolt on. i'm not clear on what you are trying to accomplish.

5. yellowtail67

yellowtail67 Member

Look at that........and in short order.

6. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

alan is great isnt he...lol...the man helped me out of a jam. very professional and knows what the heck he is talking about.

lol

have no fear ALAN is here

7. alantani

alantani Senior Member

well, thanks, guys, but i'm not sure we've answered this fella's question yet..........

8. alantani

alantani Senior Member

well, it's sunday at 11am in california, and it's monday morning 1am in indonesia. he's probably already hit the sack. i'll try to check in later this afternoon. check out his home fishing board....

FishyForum - Friends, Fun, Fish......

9. Marlin jablai

Marlin jablai Guest

well, it's sunday at 11am in california, and it's monday morning 1am in indonesia. he's probably already hit the sack. i'll try to check in later this afternoon. check out his home fishing board....

FishyForum - Friends, Fun, Fish......

Yes that why I said "you're my guru's ", very obvious, thank's Professor Alan, You have already answer of what I mean in handles upgrades - please read this first. I'am a naughty student, but I will learn hard from you. Yes I've posted in my home fishing board in the directory "Fishing tackle". again " Terimakasih banyak " Alan, wish you to come to Indonesia and fish together.

10. alantani

alantani Senior Member

Anda sangat disambut. Barangkali suatu hari anda akan mengunjungi kami. Saya akan gemar membawa anda memancing juga. Teman anda, Alan