360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOOB ON DECK!
I recently started deep sea fishing and being inexperienced I purchased a Shimano Trevala PX (TVXFS66H ), paired with a Shimano Saragosa (SRG8000SWAHG ) for jigging and it works great BUT...

I am a few days away from my first Tuna Trip in the GOM on GPB and learned I need a Popping Rod and a Conventional Reel, but I can't seem to find the answers I am looking for...

Is there a Popping Rod / Conventional Reel combo that will work for me?
Should I stick with a Popping Rod / Spinning Reel combo?

-OR- (in hopes of being able to use the conventional reel with my spinning rod)

Should I buy a Conventional Reel and a Popping Rod separately?
Can you even use a Conventional Reel with a spinning/jigging rod?

I would then use my Saragosa with my popping rod and LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER!?

Any & All Help is Greatly Appreciated!

·
Retired Member
5,624 Posts
Popping with a conventional setup is super rare! It takes practice to master casting a conventional reel, and even a higher skill for popping tuna. There are conventional reels for casting also “Cal’s sheets” will make most larger, better quality conventional reels suitable for casting, but mostly on the west coast for pitching baits. So stick with spinning like 99.9% of us and enjoy. As far as using a spinng reel on a conventional rod or a conventional reel on a spinning rod, There are no rules saying you can’t. But it is wrong! The spine is on opposite sides of its intended use when switching reels. Plus you will look like a weekend warrior and not the fisherman you want to be seen as.

Benny

·
1,889 Posts
I would get 2 different setups, 1 for popping and one conventional for jigging, chunking. I would go spinning for popping for sure. You can go Saragosa with a decent popping rod for your popping combo. Some people on the east coast use van stall rods with gossas for both. I haven’t tried them though, others may have. I think a 40-60lb class rod is plenty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You could just get a popping rod and then switch your reel out in between jigging and popping. Or get another Saragosa, 10k or 14k, and a popping rod like the grappler or a jigging world ghost hunter or black widow. Don’t fish conventionals on spinning rods or spinners on conventional rods. The rods are designed to bend one way and you will likely break the rod by doing that. The guides are also designed differently on spinning and conventional rods. Plus, yeah you might get more weird looks than we slow pitch guys get.

·
1,650 Posts
Personal preference goes with experience, but a conventional jigging setup is my preferred and a spinning popping setup is preferred. Depends how much money you want to spend. The cheapest answer is to buy a popping rod and switch your reel between the two. Next is to buy a spinning popping outfit. Most expensive is to buy a popping rod with your gosa and then buy a conventional jigging combo. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts