Heavy spinning rod idea for cows. Will this work?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Bellyups, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I have an idea for a super heavy duty spinning rod. The rod will be heavy, but I don't care as I will only be casting if I see BIG tuna. I will only use large heavy poppers because the tip will be stiff. It will be targeting 200-350 pound yellowfin tuna with a popper. I was considering using one of these aftco unibutts Aftco Unibutts or similar and connecting it to a super seeker SS-CTSF63XXH Stand-Up 6'3" 60-100 15 top 1.1 butt $159.97
    or SS-CTSF63XXXH Stand-Up 6'3 80-130 lb. 15 1 $167.89

Guides would be Fuji MNSGs. American Tackle makes a top that will fit NITT Titan Turbo Tops . Is this a ridiculous idea? I could cover the aftco rear grip with cork tape or other grip material. I have no idea what the tip action of these rods is like, but it will surely have the backbone needed. The rod will end up being at least 7 feet 6 inches and break down for travel. I could consider other blanks if anyone has any ideas. However, I want a true 80 or 100 pound blank with tons of backbone for this idea to work.

If anyone has these blanks, let me know if they are way too stiff to cast a OTI 4.5 ounce Komodo popper. Reel would be a stella 20000 with 80 or 100 pound solid braid.

Sorry, I should of posted in rod building forum. It is late, I am tired, but I have cow popper tuna on my mind :)

2. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

The Calstar Graphiter 760H would be another consideration GF760H 6' 50-130 T/S 60-100Lb. Tuna .895 12 $121.04. This might work better as it will fit the UB4 regular aftco unibut that weighs 25 ounces. The rod would probably finish out at about 2 and 1/4 pounds or so.

A fuji SiC tip will fit the graphiter.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Scott

What's wrong with the calstar 700xh?

d-a

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i have the seeker black steel 63xxh rod built with an aftco unibutt and the total length is 7'9". it has a fast taper but the tip is very forgiving. you might be able to toss plugs with but i think you will need a little more weight to load up. distance will not be great with it. but if you hook into anything you should be able to stop it.

5. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Yo BU,

I had built a XXXH version of the Super Seeker you mentioned to pair with my Accurate 50 spinner. I tested a ton of blanks for this application and found this one to be perfect for cow type critters. I felt the 2X was just a bit light for the fight. I will be back at the Hurricane Banks in April on a 17 day trip with this rig. Unfortunately the last time In Nov. we had technical difficulties and I was unable to use it. This time everything should be perfect for stand up fishing the biguns. Additionally I loved the All American Roller guide Acid wrap tip to go with my SIC guides. Casts like a dream but I love the Roller tip for the fight.

Best of luck on your decision.

Jamie

6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Scott

What's wrong with the calstar 700xh?

d-a

It is too long. The rod needs to break down to less than 6 and 1/2 feet. I also want something beafier. My concern is lifting the fish if it goes deep. I just don't see the available popper rods lifting a fish of this size. With the available popper rods, if lucky, I can get the fish close to the boat and possibly trick the fish to the surface green (and then watch the gaffers get thrown about!:)), but no way do I think I can win the tug of war with 25 pounds of drag on a stubborn cow 100 feet below the boat. I will likely break the rod because either the line, rod, reel, fish, or my back will break. I ain't holding on with 25 pounds for 40+ minutes. I want to be able to put 40 pounds or more on the fish when it is near the boat. I will do that for about 10-15 minutes and if he is not to gaff by then, I will cut the fricking line.

7. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Yo BU,

I had built a XXXH version of the Super Seeker you mentioned to pair with my Accurate 50 spinner. I tested a ton of blanks for this application and found this one to be perfect for cow type critters. I felt the 2X was just a bit light for the fight. I will be back at the Hurricane Banks in April on a 17 day trip with this rig. Unfortunately the last time In Nov. we had technical difficulties and I was unable to use it. This time everything should be perfect for stand up fishing the biguns. Additionally I loved the All American Roller guide Acid wrap tip to go with my SIC guides. Casts like a dream but I love the Roller tip for the fight.

Best of luck on your decision.

Jamie

That is good to hear!! Thanks and good luck!!!:)

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

i have the seeker black steel 63xxh rod built with an aftco unibutt and the total length is 7'9". it has a fast taper but the tip is very forgiving. you might be able to toss plugs with but i think you will need a little more weight to load up. distance will not be great with it. but if you hook into anything you should be able to stop it.

Thanks Brian. I have a Seeker Classic Fiberglass 6455XXH (80-130) and the tip is a little stiff but not too bad.

9. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I'm not sure a UB4 will hold your Stella securely. I think you would be better off sticking with a UB2 even if you have to give up some overall length.

10. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I'm not sure a UB4 will hold your Stella securely. I think you would be better off sticking with a UB2 even if you have to give up some overall length.

Model Rating Length Weight Ferrule OD Ferrule ID
    Straight Models
    UB1 Short 4-30 lb. 17.16" 14 oz .838" .750"
    UB1 Regular 4-30 lb. 19.16" 15.5 oz .838" .750"
    UB2 Short 30-50 lb. 17.76" 16 oz .970" .875"
    UB2 Regular 30-50 lb. 19.76" 18 oz .970" .875"
    UB4 Regular 80 lb. 22.82" 25 oz 1.133" 1"
    UB6 Regular 130+ lb. 23.45" 32 oz 1.336" 1.188"

Kevin, good point which I hadn't considered!! Thanks! Do you think the UB4 reel clamp is too wide for a stella? I mounted my stella on my 60 pound seeker unibutt which I think has a UB4. The seat collars are a little wide, allowing for some lateral play in the reel. The UB2 is too thin for all the blanks unless I cut an inch or two off the butt end of the blank. It is also much lighter. The graphiter 760H or 760XH might fit the best. Most seekers taper thick at the butt, so they might fit better than I think into a UB2 by simply cutting 1 inch or so off the butt end of the blank.

11. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

The UB4 is feels much larger than those numbers indicate and I would bet your 60# rod has a UB2. BTW, I'm almost 100% certain that the ub2 has the same size collars as Aftco's #3 reel seat.

12. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

100lb rated popping rod is coming guys LOL

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

100lb rated popping rod is coming guys LOL

somebodys really going to go overboard now!

14. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

The UB4 is feels much larger than those numbers indicate and I would bet your 60# rod has a UB2. BTW, I'm almost 100% certain that the ub2 has the same size collars as Aftco's #3 reel seat.

Kevin, you're correct. I measured the ferrule and unibutt and my seeker has a UB2 short. I reattached the stella and tightened it down. It seems to hold very tight and much better than I thought. I don't think I locked it down well the first time I tested. Now, I am concerned that the blank will not fit into a UB2 ferrule. The closest fit is a 760H graphiter at .895. The inside of the ferrule is supposedly .875

15. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

You would probably have to trim about 5-10" off to get to fit.

Kevin, you're correct. I measured the ferrule and unibutt and my seeker has a UB2 short. I reattached the stella and tightened it down. It seems to hold very tight and much better than I thought. I don't think I locked it down well the first time I tested. Now, I am concerned that the blank will not fit into a UB2 ferrule. The closest fit is a 760H graphiter at .895. The inside of the ferrule is supposedly .875

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

honestly i think the 7'6" OTI will be fine if you have one already. its one of the strongest blanks for popping rods.

17. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

You would probably have to trim about 5-10" off to get to fit.

I am not sure how they measure. I think I am wrong on understanding the measurement. I am just going to order a Graphiter 765H GF765H 6 1/2' 50-130 T/S 80-100Lb. Tuna .94 12 and a UB2 unibutt. I think the inner diameter of the unibutt is going to be 0.970, so the graphiter will fit perfectly. If not, the parts will be returned.

"If you build it, they will come":D

Scott

18. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

honestly i think the 7'6" OTI will be fine if you have one already. its one of the strongest blanks for popping rods.

I have the 80, and I like it, and I will take it with me. However, when I look at a Seeker or Calstar tuna stand up blank, I see how much thicker they are and how strong their recoil/backbone is. I just can't see how a popping rod can lift like a proven big tuna killer graphiter or seeker. Lifting a 200, or even 300 pound fish has to be drasticly different than lifting a 100 or even 150 pound fish. I have seen a 155 class tuna landed on an expensive japanese rod and it took forever to lift the fish. I saw Seacrappie eventually lose his big tuna and that was not due to lack of skill. Seacrappie's rod was maxed out for most of at least 30 minutes. With a very large YFT, I am not counting on a 4:1 ratio spinning reel with a 80 pound popper rod lifting the tuna. The rod has to lift the fish, IMO, since 4:1 is much higher than 2:1 low gear. I broke one popping rod on a big fish I couldn't lift, and I don't plan on doing it again. Thus, the thought for my recent obsession.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

what do you mean by lift though? just be able to move it/horse it in? ive got seeker and calstar rods and as you said they are different than the jigging/popping rods.......but its just a tradeoff. a legitimate 30lbs of drag is a lot of drag while still being able to cast well....most rods would bottom out with it.

you said you're using the stella 20k?

20. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

what do you mean by lift though? just be able to move it/horse it in? ive got seeker and calstar rods and as you said they are different than the jigging/popping rods.......but its just a tradeoff. a legitimate 30lbs of drag is a lot of drag while still being able to cast well....most rods would bottom out with it.

you said you're using the stella 20k?

I will be using a stella FA 20000.

You are right in understanding what I mean by lifting the fish. Seeker (and I expect calstar) tuna stand up balnks are thick as heck. They are nearly 1 inch wide at the butt end. If you look at a superseeker, there is a ton of graphite in the meat of the rod. That is why it still is not light despite the S glass and graphite. They are proven to be pushed hard and I hardly ever hear of one breaking. A popping rod must make a compromise for weight, IMO. I want to pull as hard as I can and not fuss around with 22 pounds for a hour, then have the hooks, line, rod, reel, or my back fail. My new concern is a 8 foot rod may be too long and kill me more than the fish if I ever hook a monster. I feel the Superseekers are more forgiving than graphiters, but I can be wrong since I haven't fished with a graphiter. I am going to contact aftco tomorrow to see what will really fit into a unibutt 2. Hopefully, this will all work out and not just be a dumb idea:D I will by a tuna sniper 80 if this does not materialize.