360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm searching for a pair that can handle 200-450+lb split rings like the
Owner P-25 Split Ring Ultra Wire 8

I've tried Texas Tackle XLXH and they're so small they don't give enough power to open the ring. I also have a pair of the Toit Large and even with the longer handles it's almost impossible to open these rings and put them on lures.

·
Retired Member
5,517 Posts
My favorite go to is the Duo split ring pliers. They open any of the larger split rings I have used. Not sure if they’re still available, It’s been years since I bought them.

Benny

Hand Gesture Wire stripper Finger Pliers

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,199 Posts
Texas tackle too small to open rings? Seriously? I have the large and small versions and have no problems with split rings up to size 10 (just because that's the biggest I have reason to use).

·
28 Posts
I have bought and tried literally every split ring plier I could find around the globe in the last five years. The HPA Big Game pliers are perfect for what you need. Understand that they have multiple sizes...the Sea Bass are best for SPJ but for this you want the Big Game model. If you can't find a retailer you can order direct from them online...I typically receive my jig bags and pliers in about 7 days to Alabama. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tried many split rings pliers and agree with the comments on the Texas XLXH as they just don’t cut it for the heavy duty split rings and really aren’t very very useful for heavy split rings. I haven’t tried those HPA Big game pliers just mentioned and they look very nice but likely will not get them as I have been pretty happy with these Rapala heavy duty split ring pliers for split rings up to owner hyper wire size 11- I don’t have larger split rings. I can purchase 3 to four pairs or more of the Rapala for the price of the other pliers mentioned here which I actually have and given out the Rapala pliers to friends and family. The low cost may make you wonder if they even work and I was hesitant to try at first but it was recommended by a local tackle shop owner for me to try out and I was pleasantly surprised how well they work. He could have sold me some accurate split ring pliers but recommend that I give these a try with a smile and 😉. What a great shop owner! He did well as most angling shops/outdoor equipment shops did during the Covid shut down and I’ve known him for some time so he didn't need to stick me with a high priced shiny but mediocre to useless tool.
Kitchen utensil Gas Fashion accessory Font Machine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Owner Game Plier 2 GP2-60 could do the trick. But the HPA Gameplier is probably the way to go, as others have said. For Ultra Wire splits you don't want the Compact HPA Gameplier - you want the full size model.
I'm pretty happy with my Precision Angling HD split ring pliers, but I don't know if these are widely available (I'm in NZ). I think the Precision Angling pliers are a sort of copy of the Owner GP60 (no longer produced?).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts