Heavy Duty Reels

Discussion in 'Reels' started by rebel, Feb 9, 2009.

Which Reel?

1. Quantum Cabo PT 80

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Okuma VSystem V80a

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Shimano Saragosa 18000 F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Daiwa Saltiga Blast 4500

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. rebel

rebel Senior Member

Quantum Cabo, Shimano Saragosa, Daiwa Saltiga, Okuma VSystem........I've been reading & hearing lots of good & bad things about each & every model. What I really need is a very heavy duty reel, I live in Dubai, so I dont have a direct access to dealers in the U.S for warranty issues if something goes wrong with the reel. Any reel out there that can last for 2 yrs at least without any service or damaged parts & still cost below $400?

It's for catching 50-100 LBS GT, Tuna, Cobia...

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

id go with the saltiga blast. best reel in the bunch

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Yup, definitely the Saltiga Blast 4500!

4. rebel

rebel Senior Member

Any idea about Saltiga Surf? It costs the same, but offers higher line capacity & higher max drag (33 Vs 22 for Saltiga Blast)

5. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Saltiga Blast has higher gear ration 5:1 vs 4:1 or 3:6 for Saltiga Surf
    Saltiga Surf - " Lightweight “Air Metal” Magnesium body treated to prevent saltwater corrosion."

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I don't know much about the Saltiga blast but it looks like the line capacity is really low. I would go with the Saragosa jsut for capacity.

7. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

My 1st offshore spinning reel is Saltiga Blast 4000. Caught kings/Jacks, etc...
    mainly used for top water - one I bought a Daiwa Saltiga ZA5000, I haven't used it since.
    I haven't use Saltiga Surf yet - the weight of the reel is light given its size.
    Bottom fishing should be ok - the gear ratio may be a bit slow for top water.

8. obtuseangler

obtuseangler Junior member

I seriously doubt there is a reel in existance at any price point that can be used for catching 50-100 lb class GT and tuna without expecting it to need service or experiencing a part failure with two years or more of constent use.

9. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I seriously doubt there is a reel in existance at any price point that can be used for catching 50-100 lb class GT and tuna without expecting it to need service or experiencing a part failure with two years or more of constent use.

I certainly agree with that Obtuse! I don't think there are too many people who wouldn't take the Saltiga out of the reels listed in this poll. But, the Saltiga costs twice as much as some of the others there. I would say the best reel there for the price is the Cabo PT. The best reel listed there period, is the Saltiga.

10. obtuseangler

obtuseangler Junior member

I certainly agree with that Obtuse! I don't think there are too many people who wouldn't take the Saltiga out of the reels listed in this poll. But, the Saltiga costs twice as much as some of the others there. I would say the best reel there for the price is the Cabo PT. The best reel listed there period, is the Saltiga.

And now that I've pooh poohed the idea of a single reel surviving that kind of duty for two years, how about TWO cabo PT 80's, use the first one until you kill it, the second one hopefully keeps you in the game while the first gets serviced.

Instead of a "no fail" solution, go for "fail safe" solution.

11. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Daiwa Saltiga Blast 4500 price Buy It Now is $429 on eBay
    Daiwa Saltiga Z Blast Spinning Reel SA-B4500 4500 NIB - eBay (item 310105320997 end time Mar-01-09 05:27:53 PST)

You probably can find from anglers selling on forums for much less

Daiwa Saltiga Z class reels are much higher. Retail anyway.

12. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member