Heaviest mono/floro in 60lb hollow?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by DEA, May 6, 2009.

1. DEA

DEA Member

Hey fellas, what's the heaviest mono/floro leader you've inserted into 60lb hollow?

I just g0t some JB 60lb hollow and it really opens up nice using the spreading/expanding needle (Swifty needles) and I have no problem threading 20-40lb mono (Yo-Zuri) using the appropriate needles.

Now at 50lb and 60lb, I run into a bit of a problem. The weave seems to collapse at the nose of the threading needle due to the larger size needed to accomodate the 50-60lb mono. I've tried to use the larger spreading/expanding needle but again, after about 3 inches or so, the weave collapses on the tip and woon't open up.

I'm using the heavier 50lb and 60lb mono solely for abrasion resistance for bottom fishing. But I do have a concern that if I hang the lure/bait on the bottom I won't be able to break off as easily with the heavier mono and when I would try to break off, the hollow spectra could actually fracture and break instead of the mono, due to to similar breaking strength.

But I still wonder if I am doing something wrong here when threading the heavier mono? Or is that 50-60lb mono too thick to thread up the 60lb hollow?

If the latter is the case, I guess I can splice in a section of JB 80lb hollow and call it good. But if I do splice a 80lb section to the 60lb, how long a length of 80lb should I use?

Suggestions and ideas most appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

50-60lb mono, step up to a 10' piece of 80lb hollow. This will leave room for a proper splice, then several repeated inserts of your leader if you are splicing directly in.

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Hey fellas, what's the heaviest mono/floro leader you've inserted into 60lb hollow?

I just g0t some JB 60lb hollow and it really opens up nice using the spreading/expanding needle (Swifty needles) and I have no problem threading 20-40lb mono (Yo-Zuri) using the appropriate needles.

Now at 50lb and 60lb, I run into a bit of a problem. The weave seems to collapse at the nose of the threading needle due to the larger size needed to accomodate the 50-60lb mono. I've tried to use the larger spreading/expanding needle but again, after about 3 inches or so, the weave collapses on the tip and woon't open up.

I'm using the heavier 50lb and 60lb mono solely for abrasion resistance for bottom fishing. But I do have a concern that if I hang the lure/bait on the bottom I won't be able to break off as easily with the heavier mono and when I would try to break off, the hollow spectra could actually fracture and break instead of the mono, due to to similar breaking strength.

But I still wonder if I am doing something wrong here when threading the heavier mono? Or is that 50-60lb mono too thick to thread up the 60lb hollow?

If the latter is the case, I guess I can splice in a section of JB 80lb hollow and call it good. But if I do splice a 80lb section to the 60lb, how long a length of 80lb should I use?

Suggestions and ideas most appreciated!

Thanks!

Go with Basil's advice on the size, he's making these leaders day in and day out.

You can go with a direct insertion, which is what it sounds like you're doing but why not put a loop in the end of your line? Then you can change leaders quickly in the heat of battle. If you use loop-to-loop you can always use a 60# running line but make your leaders with 80# then loop the 80# to the 60#. Just be sure that both legs of each loop are the same length so that each leg carries half the load.

As for what breaks, the 60# JB, with spliced connections will break at 70 lbs. or above.

But a brand of leader that doesn't overtest too much (measure it's Actual Breaking Strength yourself) and connect it to your tackle with a 70% knot like a Uni. Assuming your 60# mono breaks at 80 lbs., then your Uni will break at 55 lbs. If you want some extra insurance, tie an Overhand knot in the mono, it breaks around 60%, getting you to just below 50 lb. breaking point.

I know it sounds extreme but an Overhand knot is easy to tie perfectly and once you test it's breaking strength in your line, you'll know what will break first. The way it works is that it pulls together so tightly that the turns inside the knot are tight enough to literally fracture the mono--kind of like bending a stick over your knee--and you've got a decent fuse.

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Contact JB direct He is a great guy and he can answer all your questions. He is top notch.

5. DEA

DEA Member

Thanks fellas!

Complete rookie question but...should the 80lb section be inside or outside the 60lb mainline?

6. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Thanks fellas!

Complete rookie question but...should the 80lb section be inside or outside the 60lb mainline?

They each get spliced inside the other. Have a look at the line to line photo at the end of this post. Hollow Spectra Basic Splicing