360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I re-spooled my OJ 1501 with "Diamond braid generation 3 8X" 30lb stuff, and went to 50lb fluoro. I used the reel yesterday and the day before, with no problems and the drag twisted hard finger-tight (but not hammer tight, if that makes sense). I discovered -- probably obvious to everyone -- that I don't even need the fall lever; the spool tension knob is still in place, so I could still use the reel.

Anyway, I'm coming to the conclusion that my core problem had been the 30lb fluoro leader, which is where it had always been breaking, and not so much the main line. But in any event, had zero problems with break-offs over these last two days, although I was only really tested by a medium/small AJ (it pulled a bit of drag, no doubt).

And! I got back to find a DHL box on my desk, and opened it to find the used Ocea Jigger 2001 has arrived, which I'll probably spool with 50 lb braid, and the same 50lb fluoro leader. That's a substantially beefier reel - more so than the specs would make me think - if I compare side-to-side.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts