360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,137 Posts
Inshoreslayer, I hate you because I just spent $1560.99 after reading your post and doing a bit of research. I went with the Hearty Rise Slow Jig III, Captcha 60 HG reel and the ocean silk jig line. I'll let you know how it works out if nobody else chimes in first. Tight lines to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was at the bait shop over the weekend and the guy was swearing by them. Said they slayed yellow fins in Bahamas using these rods. He said the rods are super strong with solid blank. They felt really nice just playing with them in the store.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The newest incarnations of them are hollow blanks. What they say about the heat they can handle is correct. It's actually pretty impressive. But, and here's the catch, you need to fish them at the upper bounds of their jig weighting to get them to slow down enough where the action is manageable. For instance, the Power 2 is rated to 500g. Based on my fishing them (a lot), if you're not in the 400-500g range, they just lose the jig completely. But, they're pretty good when you're at that upper bound range. Downside is they're a bit shorter than most SPJ rods. Works better from private boat than larger boats.

·
2,137 Posts
I finally decided to try slow gigging with slow jigging gear. I decided to gear up for the heavier side for YFT and Grouper. For the rod I chose the Hearty Rise Tokayo POWER 3 - TSJ3S-581C/800-O, for the reel I chose the controversial CaptCha 60HG spooled with 485 yards of Ocean Silk PE 5 line, connected #80 Hearty Rise fluorocarbon leader using the FG knot and NT knot to a Diamond #200 BB swivel terminal connection.

I chose the Power 3 rod because I thought that if I didn't take to slow jigging it would be a decent bottom rod. I chose the CaptCha 60 HG out of curiosity to see what all the fuss is about. As for the line and fluorocarbon I decided to just clean sweep checking out the Hearty Rise products.

Did the trial run and slow jigging is different from every other technique and it will take some practice for sure. I probably should have used a lighter line and leader because the FG knot bangs through the guides which are pretty small. The rod has a great "feel" to it and you can tell when is loaded up and to ease off. The reel is a winch, I tried the point and crank retrieval which is a lot harder to do than pumping the rod. I did smile when I bowed up big and I did pump like a man!

Lessons learned, I'm going to splice a HC loop to the terminal mainline to get rid of the FG knot connection, that should streamline things pretty well going through the guides. I should have started out with the POWER 1 - TSJ3S-581C/340-O with a compatible reel because I feel it would be easier to learn the proper techniques in shallower water with lighter gear. In a perfect world, I would have had a fishing buddy with every kind of fishing gear imaginable so that I could try it out to see if I like it before I bought it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The newest incarnations of them are hollow blanks. What they say about the heat they can handle is correct. It's actually pretty impressive. But, and here's the catch, you need to fish them at the upper bounds of their jig weighting to get them to slow down enough where the action is manageable. For instance, the Power 2 is rated to 500g. Based on my fishing them (a lot), if you're not in the 400-500g range, they just lose the jig completely. But, they're pretty good when you're at that upper bound range. Downside is they're a bit shorter than most SPJ rods. Works better from private boat than larger boats.
Benny, would you recommend the Power 3 rod for depths around 400m-500m with 400g-600g jigs?
Ideally I would like to use 800g jigs but am finding it hard to source them at the moment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Benny, would you recommend the Power 3 rod for depths around 400m-500m with 400g-600g jigs?
Ideally I would like to use 800g jigs but am finding it hard to source them at the moment.
If you don’t mind me asking where do you jig that deep? What was the deepest you ever jigged? Even at 500’ it would take a while to reel up

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking where do you jig that deep? What was the deepest you ever jigged? Even at 500’ it would take a while to reel up
I'm fortunate enough to live on a tropical island not too far off Australia, the island being the peak of a volcanic seamount. Doesn't take far from launch to get that deep here.

As for the deepest I've jigged, it's 500m which I'm currently still trying my hand at, but mostly I spj around the 300m-400m mark. It definitely is quite tiring but equally rewarding. The absolute worse thing about fishing these depths is the fish getting sharked 50m from the boat. Like a punch to the guts.

·
Registered
746 Posts
it's rated to 800g and it's a stout rod. I think it would do it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts