Headed to Venice

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Bret, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Its been pretty quiet here in the lounge..So I thought I would post this...
    Txseadog, Jaredchasteen,Gimmedeal and I are headed to Venice in the Am for two days of fishing with Reelpeace. It appears the weather will cooperate and give us two days in a row on the lump.. It has been a difficult decision to pare all of my tackle down to two rods and one small bag..
    I guess I will flip a coin to decide whether I will take my seeker blksteel6465xh
    /kaikon combo or the calstar gfgr765L/accurate 665 combo.. The calstar has a little bit lighter tip.. but the kaikon has the reel lugs .... Also bringing my new(to me)stella 20000fa/OTI popper rod.. They have caught two over 230lbs this week.. I hope one of us gets a shot at one over 150. I will be pretty worthless until we leave... cant wait....
    Is anyone else going to be down there this weekend..

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Its been pretty quiet here in the lounge..So I thought I would post this...
    Txseadog, Jaredchasteen,Gimmedeal and I are headed to Venice in the Am for two days of fishing with Reelpeace. It appears the weather will cooperate and give us two days in a row on the lump.. It has been a difficult decision to pare all of my tackle down to two rods and one small bag..
    I guess I will flip a coin to decide whether I will take my seeker blksteel6465xh
    /kaikon combo or the calstar gfgr765L/accurate 665 combo.. The calstar has a little bit lighter tip.. but the kaikon has the reel lugs .... Also bringing my new(to me)stella 20000fa/OTI popper rod.. They have caught two over 230lbs this week.. I hope one of us gets a shot at one over 150. I will be pretty worthless until we leave... cant wait....
    Is anyone else going to be down there this weekend..

i saw some of the reports over at rodnreel about the 200+ lbers they've got this week. I wish I was going...though I'll be there in 2 weeks. Good luck!

Are you guys going to do mostly jigging/popping or will you chunk as well? I believe the big tuna have been caught on the chunk, but I don't know 100%.

Again, best of luck, and if you guys all catch those cows and have too much meet just PM me and I'll help you out :p :D

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Bret,we will be trying everything in the book.. we will have 2 chunking, one jigging, and one throwing poppers or flying fish.. I hope that a topwater bite materializes.

4. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

From what i have been a part of the larger model fish almost ALWAYS come on chunk.

lets go get em.

5. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Good luck guys.

6. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

good luck on your trip. i hope that you get a large tuna. just remember to fish with the drag settings that you are comfortable with and horse that pig to the boat so you don't have to get off the anchor and chase the fish and lose your chum slick....rick

7. jaredchasteen

good luck on your trip. i hope that you get a large tuna. just remember to fish with the drag settings that you are comfortable with and horse that pig to the boat so you don't have to get off the anchor and chase the fish and lose your chum slick....rick

priceless advice, if you have a abig one on, there is more of em back there.

8. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Might be interesting. We'll be driving through NO on Mardi Gras weekend. Pics to follow.

Fred

9. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Might be interesting. We'll be driving through NO on Mardi Gras weekend. Pics to follow.

Fred

We will have Jared throwing beads and Kevin taking pics.....I will do my best to watch the road.... LOL>

10. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Wouldn't it be nice to get in the 100kg. club!

Good luck!

and be careful trolling N.O. ... you might catch something!

11. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Have a great time and fish hard!

12. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Good luck and call with a report!

13. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Good Luck Guys!! Hope the 200's are there for you!

Tom - DBG

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

What happened? I hear it's like a parking lot at a mall around Christmas time on good weather days at the Lump lately. I backed out on a trip for next weekend because I don't like crowed boats or parking lot malls. :eek:

15. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Report Coming soon.. We got back about 7am this morning.. No Yfts.....

16. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Capt Kieth was asking me where "TxSeaSick-Dog" was at.... those were his words.. :)

17. jaredchasteen

We were victums of the glass minnow invasion i believe. The YFT were scarce everywhere for everyone if you got one or two then you were extremly luckly. Most people didnt even fish the lump on both days we were there. We fished for wahoo one day and the lump another. On sunday there was only about 25 boats there. We left in search of SOMETHING..

SANDWICH?
    [​IMG]

18. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Sorry to hear about your Lump trip guys. It can be boom or bust there. Add weather questions and it really becomes a risky venture. Some days you are the bug...

19. Bret

Bret Senior Member

day one

Attached Files:

20. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Nice Hoo!!!

One of these days I'll fish Venice!!

Tom - DBG