Has anyone jigged a Marlin?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & feedback' started by bigfishjaeck, May 3, 2008.

1. bigfishjaeck

bigfishjaeck Junior member

I have some big sea mounts and drop-offs available close to my shores that have been rated world class for light tackle small blue marlin fishing from August to November (West Coast of Puerto Rico).... The fish run anywhere from 90-150 pounds on average (some get bigger). Some of the spots fished are roughly 10 square miles.... and on a good day, some boats have released up to 18 blue marlin within this " small" area...so the odds of a fish seeing a jig is high. I have personally had 4 rods hooked to blues and have 2 more fish slashing the outrigger teasers at the same time! That's six blue marlin in a spread at one time.

Has jigging for marlin been purposely done before? Can someone provide feedback as to what jigs to use and at what depth do they mostly hang out (I've only trolled surface baits for them)? I would like to try it out this next season... Am I insane for thinking about it?

I believe they would go for a jig if they see it " walking" in front of them. Any input is welcome.:)

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Yes I jigged a Striped Marlin last year. Cabo San Lucas last year over a deep drop off I hooked one with a 270 pink butterfly jig. Wasn't intentional but I will take it anyway. Here are some shots of the marlin with the jig flying around ts mouth. It was estimated in the 150 class, I was very lucky this trip as I landed many marlin on popper and stickbait. The captain couldn't believe his eyes when the Marlin surfaced. Great experience

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture009-3.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture010-3.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/IMG_9260.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/IMG_9262.jpg

3. gman

gman Senior Member

Your not insane. I went to Cabo witha goal of catching Marlin on a popper. Luckily I got one on a jig and several on poppers.

Honestly if you can get the fish in your spread you would have a great chance on hooking them on any top-water as they are already hot from the teasers. We were trolling live hookless teaser baits until the fish would show and then I would cast beyond the fish and pull the popper in front of them. We were very successfull doing this

I also threw them to tailing marlin that were sunning themselves. The key is to switch out your trebel hooks for large single hooks like the Decoys available at APS. This aides in the release and makes for a better hook-set. It is very hard to land them once hooked because of the bill but very fun. I lost more than i landed but I didn't really care

The sub surface Volador and the Mangrove studio popper that looks like Mahi-Mahi/Dorado was perfect. Here was the full report

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f4/live-cabo-1539/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Hi Glenn,

Wow, very nice pictures.

How was the fight.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

two questions for you - are you going to NC next month and did you use PE6 or 8

Regarding the fight - On the jig very hard as the fish was hooked about 450 feet deep and then made a mad break for the surface so I reeled like mad. It went airborne most of the fight, watching that jig swing out of its mouth every second was nerve racking. I didn't know what I had until it came up and on that Blue Rose rod its hard to tell because it is very stiff

One Marlin fought really really hard on the popper, even though it wasn't huge it sounded deep and was a beast to raise. Marlin are very funny and unpredictable as they all seem to fight different. Some stay on the surface and some go deep. if I had to sum it up in two words ...

stubborn and unpredictable

6. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

Fantastic catches , bravo .

Jon .

7. bigfishjaeck

To Gman... Thanks for the update and congrats on those fish... I'm sure you had a blast.... and the fact that you hooked it deep (450') makes it even more interesting... When working these small and steep drop offs I have available near to my shores, you can be accompanied by as much as 30 boats. There are times when NOONE sees a fish and the bight just turns on RED HOT. I've seen as much as 13 boats hooked up at the same time when everything was dead 30 minutes before. The fact that you hooked your jigged stripey 450' below make me want to try jigging for marlin even more.

What brand + hook size is that on you pictures?:)

8. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

two questions for you - are you going to NC next month and did you use PE6 or 8

Regarding the fight - On the jig very hard as the fish was hooked about 450 feet deep and then made a mad break for the surface so I reeled like mad. It went airborne most of the fight, watching that jig swing out of its mouth every second was nerve racking. I didn't know what I had until it came up and on that Blue Rose rod its hard to tell because it is very stiff

One Marlin fought really really hard on the popper, even though it wasn't huge it sounded deep and was a beast to raise. Marlin are very funny and unpredictable as they all seem to fight different. Some stay on the surface and some go deep. if I had to sum it up in two words ...

stubborn and unpredictable

Glenn,

Are you talking about the trip with Chip or with Randy, im not on the trip with Chip.

I used PE8 for jigging and PE6 for casting. Make sure to bring a casting stick
    as there should be lots of YFT,BFT and wahoo last time i caught several
    BFT on stickbait.

9. gman

gman Senior Member

To Gman... Thanks for the update and congrats on those fish... I'm sure you had a blast.... and the fact that you hooked it deep (450') makes it even more interesting... When working these small and steep drop offs I have available near to my shores, you can be accompanied by as much as 30 boats. There are times when NOONE sees a fish and the bight just turns on RED HOT. I've seen as much as 13 boats hooked up at the same time when everything was dead 30 minutes before. The fact that you hooked your jigged stripey 450' below make me want to try jigging for marlin even more.

In Cabo they fish for Marlin very different than anywhere I've ever seen in all my travels. They actually bottom fish for them. They will drop drop a large live bait with 12 ounces or more of lead similar to a grouper rig. Large swivel with a 200# plus leader and a 16/0 circle hook. Its very condusive to jigging.

There were literally 50 boats in a very small area off the lighthouse point less than 2 miles from the beach. On the second day we changed tactics because I wanted to cast for them so we trolled in the late afternoon when they occasionally sun themselves

Now Blue Marlin act totally different and really are fished on the surface so I would think casting to them would be your best option.

10. gman

gman Senior Member

Glenn,

Are you talking about the trip with Chip or with Randy, im not on the trip with Chip.

I used PE8 for jigging and PE6 for casting. Make sure to bring a casting stick
    as there should be lots of YFT,BFT and wahoo last time i caught several
    BFT on stickbait.

Thanks John, I will be on that trip. I normally jig with PE6 but I didnt know what teh structure was like and if I needed to spool PE8 instead. I'm bringing my casting outfit, I just got some craftbait stickbaits that I ordered months ago so I will put them to use

11. gman

gman Senior Member

The brand is Shout Power Assist Hook 7/0 extra wide gap, love them

12. bigfishjaeck

Thanks for the hook info Gman.... Congrats on what seemed to have been an awesome trip.... I'll keep focused on jigging one when they start coming in.

The technique you mention for the stripe catching is new to me... (as well as the stripes are - don't have them in the Atlantic).... Also true to the fact Blue marlin would response to casting (I've done it).... once raised the teased blues around here will hit anything pitched to them... Have had them take a bait on a 10' leader with the swivel touching the rodtip....

I on the otherhand would love to have the opportunity you had... Call it a goal.

I thank you once again for your feedback... I'll try out the hooks....:)

13. Cedric

Cedric Member

Amazing catch Gman!! Bigfishjaeck, the way I see it it's only a matter of time before you get your own marlin on a jig!!

14. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

ask Kil Song..... He catches EVERYTHING on jigs!
    hey Glenn, Where did you get those hooks? they are definately the answer
    for my topwaters!
    tight lines
    -Brian

15. redneck_billcollector

redneck_billcollector Senior Member

Yall's replies about Cabo really got my blood going. I fish Cabo as often as I can, and was planning on taking all my new gear next time to jig and do some popping. I was thinking about one of those 4 day with a panga for 3 day trips up in the Sea of Cortez to "pop" my cherry so to speak in the Pacific. I have always trolled for blues and blacks and casted for striped marlin on my past trips. But I bet all those pargo, grouper, rooster fish, tuna, monster AJs, yellow tails and other fish there would be ideal to target with jigs and poppers and a panga would just be easier to fish that type of tackle out of. I have fished pangas before and caught a real nice black marlin out of one years ago when my fishing was more budget oriented. Those trips are really not expensive at all and include your food, room, boat and guide. Heck, the airfare there cost as much, if not more, as the rest of the trip.

16. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

glen, what blue rose is that. is it bad ass?

17. Reel Obsession

Reel Obsession Guest

We accidently jigged a marlin last May in Cabo. We were trolling clones and say a marlin on the surface. Quickly hooked up two live baits, and let them back on the slide. The marlin turned and headed for the live bait. Meanwhile, by buddy grabs his lightweight jigging rod as he doesn't have a live bait in the water. Figured he'd drop it down while we are teasing the marlin to our bait. My buddy drops his shimano butterfly jig over the side, kinda a roodbeer/petrolero color. The marlin, circling the live bait, turns, heads under the boat, and ziiiiing, marlin on the butterly jig at 10 feet. Comes up and skies 8 feet from the boat, butterfly jig solidly in it's mouth at the base of the bill. We all do a firedrill shocked that we have the stripe on the wrong rod and reel, too much fun. Passes up two live bait and picks up steel. I would never have believed it....

18. gman

gman Senior Member

glen, what blue rose is that. is it bad ass?

yes that was the old version bluerose 4815 it was a beast

19. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Yall's replies about Cabo really got my blood going. I fish Cabo as often as I can, and was planning on taking all my new gear next time to jig and do some popping. I was thinking about one of those 4 day with a panga for 3 day trips up in the Sea of Cortez to "pop" my cherry so to speak in the Pacific. I have always trolled for blues and blacks and casted for striped marlin on my past trips. But I bet all those pargo, grouper, rooster fish, tuna, monster AJs, yellow tails and other fish there would be ideal to target with jigs and poppers and a panga would just be easier to fish that type of tackle out of. I have fished pangas before and caught a real nice black marlin out of one years ago when my fishing was more budget oriented. Those trips are really not expensive at all and include your food, room, boat and guide. Heck, the airfare there cost as much, if not more, as the rest of the trip.

Any more info on these types of packages? I went out with Gordo Banks charters last time I was in Cabo, but never heard of a 3 or 4 day package with food and lodging...

20. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

My brother-in-law caught a striped marlin on a Williamson jig last week in Baja. I suspect if you put a jig in front of a hungry feeding fish, you have a pretty good shot at hooking up.